The media is not fair to Geno Smith

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, Jan 28, 2015.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

You said "The only reason he had a zero rating" was because of something somebody else did.

So you're dismissing HIS complicity in having a zero rating.

He completed MORE passes to the Bills than he did to his own team. His competion percentage to THE OTHER TEAM was 37.5%.

Stop with the Aaron Rogers comparisons.

You sound stupid.

_

3. JStokes

A single read fly pattern is the proof this guy needs to believe Geno is the man?

I could go find a better pass by EJ Manuel.

Does that mean he's the man in Buffalo?

Every NFL QB has made a nice pass. Only a dozen of them are really good.

_

4. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Sorry, but he is a young QB learning his trade.

5. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

Something interesting I just noticed about Geno. Here are his stats for 2014 per game:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/15864/geno-smith

Now, we all remember how terrible Winters was early in the season, basically like a turnstile in the middle of the line. He got injured in the Denver game, and Aboushi started from the first NE game. Also, we finished with a strong group of receivers, but Geno did not have access to them for the entire season. Harvin came over in the middle of the season and his first game was the first Buffalo game. Decker was also having some hamstring issues early in the season, causing him to miss some time if you guys remember. Amaro wasn't used much for the entire year, with most snaps going to Cumberland for whatever reason. So really, the cast of players around Geno has significantly improved starting with the first NE game - first Buffalo game. And guess what, once that happened, Geno had one stinker (the first Buffalo game), and the rest of the games, he played pretty damn well. Something to consider.

6. JStokes

And the excuses now come piling in.

I know a good strategy, we should pass on Mariota or Winston if they are sitting there at 6, we just need to surround Geno with MORE talent, create an impregnable o-line, and dumb down the playbook.

Brilliant.

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Absolutely true.

I would forward to the last drive, amazing plays by a skinny ass QB. Shittin on the Dolphins.

BTW I think EJ Manuel is worse, it will be hard to find a better throw from him lol.

8. JStokes

Look at the touch

_

9. GangGreenBlues

You seem to be missing my point, and getting angrier will not improve your cognitive abilities. The point in that particular post was not about Geno being good or bad, deserving or undeserving of being pulled or of a zero rating. It was to address your assertion that QBs with "tools and talent" do not have those kinds of games, which is clearly silly. Simple probability implies that if Geno is not pulled, his rating goes up to 30s or so, and then matches other terrible QB Ratings gotten by guys like Rodgers against the same D.

But I'll make it even simpler for you. Here is a list of QBs in NFL history who have had games with a zero passer rating. This is by the way, entire games with a zero rating, not one like Geno had where he never got the chance to raise it back up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_quarterbacks_who_have_posted_a_passer_rating_of_zero

You might notice some familiar names on it:

Johny Unitas
    Joe Namath
    Dan Fouts
    Terry Bradshaw
    Warren Moon
    Trent Dilfer
    Jeff Garcia
    Eli Manning

So yeah, what was that about no tools or talent?

10. JStokes

Oh I get your point and my response has nothing to do with anger, rather pity.

You're a Geno ball-kicker and you feel compelled to make excuses for him.

You're trotting out HOF QBs as ANY sort of standard for comparison is, quite frankly, embarrassing yourself.

But please, continue the excuses and ill-advised and illogical comparisons.

_

11. GangGreenBlues

Right, on this forum, whenever you have a position someone disagrees with, you automatically become a FO Homer, a Geno ball-kicker (licker?) or Idzik's relative. Shiiite, I might be Rex Ryan's wife at this rate. :)

The thing is, I've never even said that Geno is a great QB or that he is guaranteed to become a starting QB in the NFL. Unlike you, I don't claim any prophetic powers regarding QBs. I just think it's 1) highly unlikely we land either Winston or Mariota in the draft, and it's a better option to let Geno develop for another year than give the reigns to one of these FA QBs available this year, none of whom are good, and 2) Geno has not been as bad as some people, like you, make him out to be. As you've stated about a million times (and that's just last week :) ), you didn't like that pick and wanted to get Carr or Bridgewater. Ok, that's your position, and time will show whether or not you are right on that, but in the meantime, you are letting it completely determine your opinion of Geno. Has he been good this year? No, but he has improved in every category from his rookie year, which is pretty much what you want to see from a guy who played in a non-pro college system and was thrust into a starting job from the beginning. And he has played much better on average once the O-Line figured things out (i.e. Winters left) and he got better weapons (Harvin, Decker healthy, etc). Does that mean that he is the answer going forward? We don't know, but given other options right now, I don't see anything better.

12. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

In the first sentence you accuse me of being subjective. The second sentence accuses me of repeating what I've heard, which would be objective. So which one is it according to your interpretation?

It seems you are taking criticism of the NY media personally which I can't even begin to understand why you would, unless you are Mehta's fake TGG account?

Anyway, I will give you some examples regardless of the fact that you a haven't presented a take, just refuted mine, which isn't the same thing.

Let's use DUI's as an example.

This is how Tampa media handled David Boston's DUI arrest in 2007 and Shelton Quarles's DUI arrest in 2011:

http://tbo.com/sports/bucs/2007/aug/24/bucs-player-passes-breath-test-charged-dui-ar-167200/

http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...helton-quarles-arrested-on-dui-charge/1155220

Compare that to how the NY media treats Braylon Edward's contemporaneious DUI arrest in 2010:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...d-drunk-driving-dress-sunday-article-1.442017

So reading through the articles, my point becomes obvious. Literally the first four words of the Edwards article: "Boozed-up Jet Braylon Edwards". It starts out with negative name-calling before it even gets to the facts. The article continues the negative tone as it calls more names and lists more mistakes that Edwards has made to make him look as bad as possible. Contrast that with how both Tampa articles give you nothing more than the bare facts devoid of negative opinion and attitude. The Quarles article even goes on to list positive accomplishments, the only stray from objective reporting in the entire piece.

So my point stands. The New York media is more interested in bringing their stars down, while Tampa would rather build their heroes up or at least not tarnish their legacies.

13. JStokes

He's been the worst QB in the league over the past two years. He's been as bad as some people have said and probably worse.

My opinion of Geno was determined when he was playing QB at WVU. Saw him a lot and I got the mirage. Some folks never did, but the NFL has revealed it in full force.

Missing out on Teddy and Carr hasn't changed my opinion, it's just pissed me off more and more with every shit performance he put up.

He was the 32nd worst QB in 2013.

He was the 31st worst QB in 2014.

I don't consider that improvement.

I get it, you love the guy.

I don't think he's any good at all.

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

The thing about the Geno zero rating game was that he only lasted about a quarter into the game. He was benched and lost his starting job. He got another start only after Vick was horrible against Buffalo, too.

15. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

Single read fly pattern... Impressive

16. JStokes

Right? You could find that pass from HS QBs.

So is Manuel the guy because he can make one throw?

Or do you look at the body of work?

_

17. GangGreenBlues

No, he hasn't. He was graded as the worst QB in the league his rookie year, but not this year (2014).

His QB Rating wasn't 31st worst. It was in fact, better than your boy Carr.

TD INT Comp% QB Rating
    2013 12 21 55.8 66.5
    2014 13 13 59.7 77.5

You have to be pretty blind or have an overriding agenda in order not to see improvement there.

18. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Man you guys are having a heavyweight argument here. 31 vs 32 vs what the fuck ever. They suck. That's the real measurement

19. JStokes

Geno in his second full year was better than a rookie with shittier talent around him? Really?

Lololol THAT'S your gig?

Holy shit, let's look at the stats for a rookie versus a second year full time starter. With shittier talent around him.

Derek Carr completed 58% of his passes for 3300 yards with 21 TDs and 12 INTs.

Geno had basically the same completion percentage for 2500 yards (800 yards less) with 13 TDs (8 TDs less) and 13 INTS (1 more).

QB rating 77.5 to 76.6?

Less than one fucking point?

THAT'S what you're going with?

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

Derek Carr is so much a better QB than Geno is but you're too much of a Geno ball kicker to realize that.

LOLOLOLOLOL less than one QB rating point. 21-12. 13-13. 3300 yards versus 2500 yards. Lol.

Too funny.

_

#139 JStokes, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  20. JStokes

No my point was he was 32 and 31 for his first 2 years.

That's gotta be the worst QB in football over the last 2 years.

_