What are you seeing at the Movies?

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Umphpool, Sep 29, 2014.

1. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Same here. It was pretty good. I think I like Zero Dark Thirty better, though.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Two very different movies that I like for two very different personal reasons.

The Dark Knight and deerow84 like this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Ump, you were right about Thor being a tough sell as a hacker. Saw the movie and it was pretty good. Perhaps one or two slow spots but for the most part, the story line moved right along at a decent pace.

Chris Hemsworth tried his best to be in character but he barely pulled it off. Loved the exotic Asian locales which served as the backdrop mostly. I don't want to give anything away regarding plot so I'll stop here. Take your Gf or Wife? Not a problem. Was this an updated "Hackers" from years gone bye? No it wasn't. Just a decent action movie wrapped around the modern fear of hacking evildoers.

Next movie on the list: Jupiter Ascending

4. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Yeah Idk how you could compare the two.

Zero Dark Thirty is an entirely different movie. Both are war movies but that's about it.

5. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

So instead of American Sniper last nite we went for BBQ and will hopefully see AS tomorrow nite.

Went home and watched movie from Netflix my brother suggested.

Horns.

Very good, weird, out there movie. Harry Potter has grown up. Murder mystery with a bit of a devilish bent.

Written by Steven King's son.

Good flick.

_

Umphpool likes this.
  6. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up, were going to see American sniper tonight. Heard that was amazing.

Jupiter seems interesting, but it looks like it can be a disaster or a cult hit

7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Jupiter Ascending looks like donkey shit...but I hear Batman vs Superman trailer will be shown

8. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

You can watch the commercials for Blackhat and realize it's just a badly made movie. Don't blame it on Hemsworth. Watch Rush (the formula one racing movie), he's actually a decent actor.

And if you have Jupiter Ascending as the next movie you watch, maybe you shouldn't blame actors for your bad movie experiences, that is obviously a giant flop, from top to bottom.

9. Cman68

Never said Hemsworth was a bad actor. I'm saying he was miscast as a hacker. I love SciFi movies and don't expect anything more than entertainment when I go see them. Jupiter Ascending from the trailers looks like an entertaining movie. At least as entertaining as Guardians of the Galaxy. Again, not looking for Gone with the Wind here or Star Wars. Blackhat would have worked better if they had gotten another actor in the lead role. The story line and the action scenes were ok. I caught a matinee so even the price was right.

Since you're saying that Jupiter Ascending is a giant flop, I take it you have a DVDSCR copy already? If so, feel free to share..

10. JStokes

Saw American Sniper last nite.

Solid solid solid and powerful movie and the credits were so damn sobering.

I don't think I've ever seen a fully packed theater leave in such solemn silence. Clint really hit a home run with the way he capped that story.

I will say, it's more of a character study than a true war film--kind of like Jar Head. Not a typical war story with the characters and the war having equal billing (like Zero Dark Thirty)--the war is secondary to what's going on with the main character and his team and his family.

Even though I knew the whole story, I was literally on the edge of my seat and chewing my nails down to their nubs during a lot of the house to house sweeps and just waiting for the next soldier to get killed.

Cooper nailed the part--not sure whether it's Oscar worthy but he really showed us who Chris Kyle was--more so than Marky Mark as Marcus Lutrell (and I liked Lone Survivor).

I saw it in RPX format, I'd suggest you do the same (or IMAX). It truly is a movie deserving of a big format.

See it, good film.

_

11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Saw A Most Violent Year yesterday. With Oscar Isaac and Jessica Chastain. I thought it was very good. The title and general subject matter, though, may lead some to think it's more of a gangster film than it really is, and they keep CGI, explosions and general violence to a minimum. So if you like that kind of cartoonish film, this is probably not for you. There is a chase scene, though.

Very well acted, really by the entire cast. I think Chastain is one of the best actresses working now, and she sort of modelled her character on Michelle Pfeiffer's in Scarface. Isaac I know from the disappointing Inside Llewyn Davis, and here plays a businessman who is up against it in 1981 NYC, with attendant corrupt competitors and mysterious dealings. I saw it as an examination of American capitalism and where one draws the line in getting ahead. I don't want to give too much away, though. Family is also important, and Chastain's wife is one hoot of a character.

12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I find chastain to be so hot

13. JStokes

+1.

_

14. JStokes

Definitely on the list.

And agreed on Llewyn Davis, was hoping for so much more.

_

15. Big Blocker

I also saw The Grand Budapest Hotel, this time on DVD. I thought Anderson's Moonlight Kingdom of two years ago was a great film. So I had perhaps fairly high expectations here. Great cast, great acting. But the film left me not knowing what the point was. Interesting in many respects, and I doubt anyone would use that juvenile put-down "it's boring!" Even juveniles. But it is on the whole a failure. It has it's comic moments, though. Some might like it, and to be clear I did not dislike it.

16. Big Blocker

I can't help noticing what I think is the mere coincidence that two of my favorite actresses now are both redheads, they being Chastain and Amy Adams. But two things - here Chastain is blonde, and it makes for a rather, well, interesting appearance with her skin coloring and hair color. I think it works not merely on the surface veneer of that Michelle Pfeiffer vibe, but also on the subconscious level of making you wonder who her character really is. She's got a nice rack, too.

The other thing is Adams and Chastain seem very, very different how they come across. I love how Adams comes across as very real, almost hyper-real. Maybe somebody else can, but for all her girl next door bit, I can't compare her to any other actress, even from film history. Chastain on the other hand, even when she's playing some tough character like in Zero Dark Thirty or Interstellar, always seems to have this sort of ethereal quality to her, like some modern day Joan Fontaine or something.

17. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Anyone seen "Birdman"?

Is it about Larry Bird? Or the rapper?

Umphpool likes this.
  18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

By far my favorite actress. Gorgeous too. I can't wait to see it, but it is not playing near me til next Friday.
    Correct. ;) Such a classy woman, but also knows how to be sexy as hell.

19. Cman68

Saw "American Sniper" yesterday and to me, it was Eastwood's finest effort yet. The fact that this was part bio and part documentary about Gulf War II made the storyline that much more believable. Loved all the characters and to drive home this movie's drawing power, we went to the early afternoon matinee and the house was full.

I don't know where the heartburn is coming from on this movie. The Fringe Left (not to be confused with mainstream progressives) has issues with anything military and evidently, that holds true here. For those of us that have served, this movie is a must see. This man was a hero and died a hero and his story needed to be told for future generations.

In a day and age lacking in true heroes, Eastwood does a great job of putting one out front for all to see.

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Not sure if you guys saw the new trailer for the Fantastic Four, but I decided to edit it because it looked like a sequel to Interstellar