Are we better off now?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by James Hasty, Jan 14, 2015.

?

Are we better off now?

1. Yes, Maccagnan, Bowles, and Gailey are the dream team we need to succeed

84.1%
  2. No, Idzick, Rex, and Marty had a plan and we should have been patient

15.9%
  1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Again, I wouldn't call these guys a "dream" (until/unless they have huge success with the team), but I'm excited about these hires. I like what I hear about Maccagran for many reasons and also seems like Bowles is a solid candidate to make an effective leap from coordinator to coach - I don't see any reason to feel otherwise necessarily. Also like the idea of Gailey as OC; seems like he's a great offensive mind that puts his players in a position to succeed.

Of course, it's way too early to really judge these moves one way or another - gonna have to wait a year or two for that. While I have no reason not be hopeful or excited about these moves, I'm also not expecting greatness either... I'm excited for these big changes and looking forward to this offseason

NCJetsfan and Attackett like this.
  2. VT16

VT16 Member

I don't know if 2015 will be a complete waste. We don't have a particularly difficult slate of opponents and the defense should improve over last year's group which was already pretty good. If they focus on offense in the draft and FA and address the CB position, they can be competitive.

NYJetsO12 and 4jetfans like this.
  3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

No idea. Show me.

slimjasi, Pocket Jet, 74 and 2 others like this.
  4. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

And he so good he still thinking over all the offers he gotten.

FlaJet likes this.
  5. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

There should be an option that says.
    Changes were needed in the personnel department (scouting, Bradway, arguably Idzik, etc.) and the only way to do that was to get rid of Rex.

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yes. Much better off. And Rex is in Buffalo. It's like a bonus!

NCJetsfan and PennyRoyal10 like this.
  7. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

I respect all Jet fans opinions but would love to hear why voters voted for Idzik, Rex, and Marty. The only plan I saw was saving cap money other than that we went backward not forward.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

A very reasonable position, but I would add imo there was no reason to retain Idzik, and the logic of getting rid of him along with Ryan's overall mixed to somewhat poor record meant he had to go, too.

Meanwhile both Mccagnan and Bowles combine real upside with no track records in previous work at this level. On that basis one must cautiously answer the question as we are better off since the potential upside is now there.

NYJetsO12 and 74 like this.
  9. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I'll wait and see cant say one way or the other if we're better off.

10. Big Blocker

As it stands right this second, the one thing that concerns me is I think Marty is the better OC than Gailey.

11. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

I think Gailey has a resume that is at least the equal of Marty's. And, really, if they don't get more and better talent, it won't matter.

12. Big Blocker

Don't you think at least there's more upside potential going forward?

13. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

Correct me if I am wrong but are we not still picking the coaching staff now

14. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

The one thing I am sure of is that the old regime wasn't working. We can cast blame on Rex, Idzik, Marty, etc., but the fact remains that our team was on a severe downward axis and there was not a lot of hope that things would improve.

Perhaps the new GM, HC and staff will be equally ineffective, or perhaps everything will click and this group will take us to respectability and ultimately a championship (I can dream...). It's WAY too early to know. I can say that I have some hope and excitement that things will be different and that things might improve as a result, so I guess that's a good thing.

15. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I love the Gailey hiring. Firstly, he has a good resume. Secondly, defenses will be looking at 2012 data as they prepare. Hopefully, CG has evolved his thinking and could be a difficult match up for the first 2-3 games.

16. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Certainly more upside in Bowles & Maccagnan than Rex & Idzik

NYJetsO12 and 4jetfans like this.
  17. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

yeah, I think it was clear that Rex Ryan had run his course. Sure, you could have kept him, but the shortcomings seemed obvious and painful. And I think that the players seemed too chummy with him and weren't disciplined. The offensive failings, though I believe were mostly rooted in lack of talent, weren't being addressed under his watch and weren't a strength of his. In all, I think Ryan stagnated.

My feelings on Idzik have been well chronicled. So, I think having a GM whose strength is player evaluation is a big plus.

And the fact that Bowles is likely to use the same defensive scheme means that we don't have to retool that unit completely. Gailey? I think he's going to do well and the notion that he is too old seems ridiculous. He was probably out of football because he didn't want to be a HC anymore and, hey, some time off is probably fine: recharge batteries, do some analysis. I don't think he wasn't watching all the games he could during that time.

So, yeah, I think we're better off.

18. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Another thing will be that if Geno wins the job, there won't be any talk of the coach being 'forced' to start him by the GM. Neither one of these guys have any sort of ties to Geno. Either he can play or he can't. If he can't, cut bait and move on, quickly. I trust that both of these guys will make the necessary call on him...

MrGreenT, NY Jets68 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  19. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

100 % could not agree more.

20. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

I like the idea that our GM and HC are on the same page. I like that there's a chance that Bowles doesn't neglect his offense. I'll say this management team is more structurally sound than the previous hodgepodge.

Is Bowles a better coach than Rex? Is Maccagnan better than Idzik? These are things we'll find out in a year or two.