Todd Bowles new Jets HC per Schefter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BigGreenUgly, Jan 13, 2015.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

we should watch other games, teams are always wasting TOs.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

teams that lose, yes

slimjasi and babyknight like this.
  3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

What a great day to be a Jets fan! Super Bowles is a sweet nickname by the way. The Jets D will continue to be great, but now I hope they put more focus on the offense. Add a veteran QB and some CB's and the team literally could make a 4-12 to playoffs turnaround in 2015.

FlaJet likes this.
  4. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Interesting Gailey tidbit, with a awful Chiefs team in 08 he managed to get a combined 3k yards with Tyler Thigpen and also 20 TDs in 11 games:

2008 24 KAN QB 4 14 11 1-10-0 230 420 54.8 2608 18 4.3 12 2.9 75 6.2 5.8 11.3 186.3 76.0 45.75 26 162 5.48 5.08 5.8 0 1 9

He seems to get the most out of crappy QBs. So there is that.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

We were hiring a head coach, not a coordinator. If we were interested in a defensive coordinator rex would have stayed.

6. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

The rumors were that his agents created some buzz about him, dropping rumors that the Jets were going to hire him. But evidently he didn't impress the Jets enough in his interview, and thankfully Woody decided not to make a rash decision. Marrone was going to be there if we wanted him, there was no need to hire him immediately. Meanwhile, if we'd swapped HCs with the Bills I think all would agree that we got the short end of that deal.

I'm much happier with Bowles than I would be with Marrone. Quinn would have been great too, but I don't see why he would pick the Jets over the 49ers, Broncos, and Falcons; even the Bears are a better job than the Jets. I think realistically we had to go with Bowles when we had the chance. He might actually be better than Quinn.

7. Voyevoda117

Voyevoda117 Member

Really like the Bowles pickup!

Wtf on Gailey tho o_O

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Not every Defensive Coordinator is a terrible Head Coach. Just because Rex knows absolutely nothing about running a team doesn't meant Bowles doesn't either.

The_Darksider likes this.
  9. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Defensive rankings by yardage are completely useless. The defensive fraud Rex always used yardage as the measure of fish defense,when what really matters are points, 3rd down effeciency , red zone defense and turnovers. Stop with this 24th ranked nonsense.

10. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

We could have done worse. I like the pick although would have liked Quinn a little better. May the football Gods bless us this time around. GO JETS

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Like I said... Keeping my fingers crossed...

4jetfans likes this.
  12. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

At least this time around we have some people who actually know and yes played the game of football. I feel
    a lot better going into this draft then I have for the past 2 years. GO GETTEM GUYS.

13. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Too much is made about which side of the ball a HC comes from. In all honesty, it doesn't matter. It's almost damn near impossible to win in the modern day NFL without a top flight QB. It's much more important -- and much harder -- for the Jets to solve the QB problem.

Josh McDaniels is the hot OC name for a HC position right now. Why? Because he has Tom Fucking Brady making him look like a whiz. How did his stint in Denver work out with Cutler? Or his next season as OC of St. Louis?

I liked Rex but it was time for him to go. His teams were not disciplines and his in game management/attention to detail was his downfall. Let's see what the new CS can do before we label this a failure.

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I certainly understand the thinking here on timing vis a vis other openings and whether Quinn would find them more appealing. Add in no one really knows that Quinn is the better prospect.

But it does gnaw a bit that it sounds like they would have picked Quinn if timing was not a consideration.

On the other hand the downside of waiting is real.

I guess we'll all have to remember that if Quinn goes on to become a great HC, and Bowles perhaps not so much. Sometimes in life, you can't look back, and even a Woody critic like me will say that here.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Bowles on the importance of turnovers:

"Turnovers limit offensive possessions and turnovers gets your offense the ball back as soon as possible, and turnovers change games," Bowles said. "Stopping somebody is great, but if we can emphasize turnovers and get the ball back as much as possible, that's more damaging to an offensive team than anything else."

"There are a lot of teams that finish in the top five in defense and still aren't very good in turnovers. (see the NYJ in the Rex Ryan era)
    Turnovers are the key to winning ballgames."

It will be refreshing to finally have someone bring that mentality to the turnover challenged Jets...both offensively and defensively

16. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

They are ... but not to the extent we wasted them during the Rex regime. It became the rule not to have our timeouts in crunch time rather than the exception.

17. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

And I hope someone pays attention to ST as well. Another area that we have nose dived. Lack of team talent may play a roll in ST decline, but ours has been terrible even considering.

18. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

I don't know that this is really true. And, really, the issue is that we ALWAYS needed them. We weren't ahead enough at the ends of games. And what constitutes "wasting"? If you've got a reasonable challenge--and there were a few of those--and you just don't win those challenges then that's not a waste. And if you have two TOs at the end of a half or game, that's probably a reasonable number to have.

I think the issue was that the Jets always needed, like, SIX timeouts at the end of a game.

19. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I read in one of the NY Rags that Parcells drilled home the big picture to Bowles. That is, how to be the HC of the entire team and how to run the show from that standpoint. Feeling a bit better now about the offense. Gailey is kinda old to be on the sidelines though but if he still has some gas left, might as well use him.