I Don't Want Another Rookie QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Jan 13, 2015.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

That's the pretty much the definition of a stop-gap QB in today's NFL. How many games did Kurt Warner play before Eli took over? Henne this year before Bortles? Cassel before Bridgewater?

2. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Since 1997, every new 1st year coach has had a wining record and at least 1 playoff game.

Bill Parcells - 9-6
    Herman Edwards - 10-6
    Eric Mangini - 10-6
    Rex Ryan - 9-7

I think the chances are pretty good, considering that they will have an easier schedule than last year, that they could be on the better side
    of .500 New management just needs to fill in some voids/weaknesses...not at all unlikely.

3. Paul Badics

Paul Badics New Member

I'm hoping we still draft a QB, but not a first rounder. In addition we should also take a veteran QB in FA. I'm thinking Brian Hoyer.

The QB I like for a late round pick is Shane Carden of ECU.

4. hardcharger

hardcharger Trolls

Dump Smith and Vick, draft 2 good pocket passers that are cool under fire, have them compete for starter.
    There are Brady's and Manning's and Luck's in the draft class out there.
    It's easy to pick the good ones: pocket passer, can quickly go through the reads, calm, have a history of multiple comeback games.
    They're out there!

5. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Geno is not getting cut, he's still on his rookie deal. Whom ever is brought in will compete with Smith.

6. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

The ghost of Vinny T------lots of talent but only late success. Cutler could slip into that niche. Even with the Jets Vinny threw some dumb INTs, but he got the ball into the end zone, something that Geno cannot do. I agree though. No trade. I think the Bears cut him.

7. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Yeah it's easy to draft them because there are 30 elite passers out there slinging the rock. Puff puff pass, killer.

#107 Charlie Kelly, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Never properly credited? he's been one of the most overrated QBs in football for almost a decade. a poor man's Peyton Manning. Great fantasy #s, never steps up in big games and he did it again this year.

9. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Rivers? Yeah people forgot he was a great QB before he suffered a one or two year slight drop that made him just good. He's easily been a top qb the majority of the last 7 years and over his career has consistently been a great player. But of course the praise didn't match his success until this year. He's not "elite" but hes been in that next tier for his career.

Great QB, never got the proper credit in my opinion until this year. He also changed offensive systems a couple offseasons ago and was willing to and up and running in that system almost immediately.

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

People didn't forget something that wasn't true. His #s weren't as good and people evaluate based on #s alone but he was never great. Good QB who can't get it done in big games, puts up nice #s so people get fooled into thinking he is better than he is.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think Cutler's contract will prevent that. Too much dead money involved for an outright release. If they bite the bullet and cut him? I can see Rex being right there in his ear. I truly believe that Cutler could be the prototype game manager. Not having to make 30+ throws a game would help him out immensely. Rex can run his GnP all day long but DC's would still have to respect Cutler's cannon. Cutler in Buffalo would indeed be a nightmare especially with Watkins as his deep threat. It would be interesting to see if Cutler could overthrow Watkins on a post pattern.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Good work, Brad. Nice concise post that is on the money. In fact I go so far as to say if one does not understand and agree with the point you make here, such person does not really understand a major aspect of the game.

Very few Qb's have hit the ground running and had no need to look back. A vet Qb gives you a stable environment going forward that both helps maintain an overall winning environment and attitude, and also is the better environment for developing a younger Qb.

You're off to a great new year of posting. Hats off.

13. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

NO.

You invest two years in Vick, and rebuild the offensive line.

Vick > Cutler

14. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

you forgot Al Groh and his 9-7 record (though he didn't make the playoffs).

I am well aware that a new regime can bring quick returns as everyone can feel a bit energized/needs to put in more effort but unless the management addresses the QB issue then I find it very hard to believe that this team will have a winning season next year - our problems are with the offense and the void that needs filling is the same one that has needed filling since I started to follow the Jets in the early 80s - the lack of a franchise signal caller.

#114 JetsUK, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  15. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Who are these Peyton's and Brady's and Luck's that are in the draft this year?

16. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I absolutely want a rookie QB in this draft--that top 6 pick needs to be used to get either Mariota or--hold my breath--Winston. Either if they are sitting there or if doesn't look like they are going to be there--to move up to get them.

Nothing else matters. Grabbing a jag in round 4 in hopes of "developing" him is wasting a pick on a future backup.

Need a vet to come in to hold the fort for a year in any case.

_

17. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

You forgot John Elway

18. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

he never played for anyone but Denver

19. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

He was drafted by Baltimore

20. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Favre only threw 4 passes for the Falcons so I don't think he really belongs on that list