I Don't Want Another Rookie QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Jan 13, 2015.

1. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

We can draft and just not start them...that IS a possibility. We don't just have to start them immediately lol

pclfan likes this.
  2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Only thing worse than missing on a drafted QB is wasting several seasons on an average vet QB who never makes you elite but keeps you from drafting a long term solution at QB.

legler82 likes this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The point of getting the average vet would be to setup a year or two where you could draft a young QB and develop him. If we don't have a stable QB situation we're never going to get the time to develop the young guy we draft. he's going to wind up on the field too soon with ridiculous expectations around him and we know where the last THREE QB's the Jets drafted in the 1st or 2nd wound up when that happened.

4. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

I would say Payton but im scared of his arm and his age....

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I thought we are talking about a stop-gap while a rookie redshirts?

6. legler82

I threw up in my mouth as I read this.

7. legler82

How can we have any sustained success when we cut bait at the first sign of adversity?

nyjunc likes this.
  8. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

After 11 years the light finally came on........Something for Jets fans to look foward to ....In 11 years maybe Geno can almost lead us to the playoffs

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Sean Payton don't play QB bro

10. legler82

Deep down I think that's what many Jets fan want.

11. legler82

Who's the 3rd? Clemens?

12. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

there's no doubt, fans see the #s and think a QB is good. they don't see how those #s are being accumulated.

13. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

I haven't posted here in a minute, but I gotta wonder about the motive for the thread.

OP starts a thread saying he doesn't want a rookie QB, then goes on for like 4 pages about how he man-loves Jay Cutler.

Shouldn't the OP be about Jay Cutler? The OP doesn't want a first year guy, but only suggests one QB.

14. legler82

Would NY Jets fans' ridiculous expectations of a QB drafted high in the draft go away if said QB sits? FTR though I agree Sanchez ran out of ton partly because he did not meet the expectations of the vast majority of fans, I don't believe sitting him would have made a difference. He and likely will continue to be for the remainder of his career is a turnover-proned QB that a team can still win with the right scheme and surrounding talent. That wasn't enough for this fan base given the fact he was a 5th overall pick. Probably more important than redshirting a young QB is having the right offensive coaching staff.

Who really gives a sh*t about Geno and Clemens? They were second round picks. If Jets fans put ridiculous expectations on them, then that's their own fault.

15. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

lol we have to have a rookie QB. All the teams that have franchise QB's found them in the draft. Very rare do they come via free agency or trade. We can draft a guy and have him learn on the bench for a year maybe even two while signing our hold over QB until the draft pick is seasoned. But we can't just run from drafting a QB, especially when you have a top pick and a possible shot at one of the two. I would hate for us to pass on Mariota or Jameis if they were available and they go on to become highly successful QB's. I kinda wouldn't mind trading up as long as we don't have to give up RG3 value for one of em, but that's after combines and work outs... all depends how our free agency goes.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. JetDynasty

JetDynasty Active Member

No to Winston...if by the graces of God Mariota falls to us then ABSOLUTELY take him!...but I would actually take a flyer on the kid from Ohio state cardale jones....he's worth the upside in the 4th or 5th round

mezzavo likes this.
  17. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

The light didn't come on for Rivers this year only, it was just noticed and yelled from the rooftops that the light was on. Rivers had trouble adjusting, the big thing was this year the offense shifted with him and the talent on the team. Rivers' was just never properly credited for his QB play during the years, so it all came together this year and heavily pushed until he got hurt. Kind of like with Romo this year too. People were so set in stone they weren't QB, that they missed they've been good QBs overall for a while. That's my theory at least.

I don't see anyone saying that Cutler is the answer going forward. But we do a filler QB so we don't pigeonhole ourselves into starting a rookie or Geno. Cutler, if cut, could fit that cheap,veteran,stopgap filler and he is more talented than most if not all the same type of filler,stopgap type QBs. I personally don't want Cutler, but I can easily follow that line of thinking because I want another QB brought it that has experience, just not Cutler.

Also, I want a QB that produces top fantasy numbers. Fantasy skews toward TDs. Of course I want a QB that scores a lot. The top 3 fantasy QBs this year were Rodgers, Wilson, and Luck in my league. Of course I would take anyone of those on the Jets.

Yeah. You need to develop a QB, not throw them out there and then cut their responsibilities as you try to win. You can balance winning and developing a QB, but you need to give the QB responsibility.

18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

So we want Jay Cutler mentoring our rookie QB? Sure that would end well...

legler82 likes this.
  19. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

It's not really a stopgap when he's injured before week 6.

20. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Draft Bryce Petty and let him develop. Plain and simple. We won't be getting Wnston or Mariota (which may be fin) so get a stop-gap guy ala Bradford (hoping he is cut) or whoever else (NO JAY CUTLER) and let Petty develop. I'd sign up for that.