Jets transition to 4-3? Suh or Pierre-Paul possible in FA?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Connor Hughes, Jan 2, 2015.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

No one is underrating Mo. In fact one of the main reasons I would trade him is because he is a great player and would yield a high return in a trade. That said, there's big difference between occasionally taking on double teams and it being your primary responsibility on almost every snap that you are out on the field. Unfortunately, $60+ million is likely where we are headed given the recent top d-linemen contracts that have been doled out.

2. legler82

You have to read the entire thread.

3. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Shoulda resigned mo while he was humbled and ready.. Now he knows he's gettin BIG money if it's here or somewhere else.

4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

True but we did go 4-12 last year.

If we won the Super Bowl or even made the playoffs the price would be higher.

If we can't lock him up before free agency starts I would take a look at alternatives like Suh or Farley.

If we can get someone else for roughly the amount that Wilkerson wants we can also get something for Wilkerson in a trade.

With that being said I would like to keep him.

JetLifeLo likes this.
  5. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

justin houston will play DE in a 4-3...he plays end now on passing downs

6. nevbeats319

this set up would not work at all.... rich-suh-ellis-wilk are all interier players.. and coples would not be a lb in a 4-3 he would either play end or dt

legler82 likes this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I've seen Wilkerson line-up in this position in the past - he's done it before. He's also had experience in the 3-technique as well. Wilkerson has played every role on the defensive line.

I said that because you started going into what a 1-technique does and Wilkerson already fits the bill. 10 MIL for a guy that can rush the passer from the interior and stop the run is well worth it. I see Wilkerson still moving all over the defensive line if Quinn comes here - he's going to be worth the cost. I don't see Wilkerson strictly as a 1-tech guy, I see him as a 3-tech guy as well. I think Snacks is the guy that should go, and replace him with a cheaper Douzable. How much money you think Snacks will command this off-season?

I have no issue paying both Wilkerson and Sheldon for the next 6 years. We have the cash to do so. In regards to the linebackers, that's why I said to add more defensive lineman if the match-up dictates the run. Upgrade the linebacker corps of course, and then you have the strong safety to help in run support if need be. Kam Chancellor was excellent this year stopping the run when he got healthy. I hate to continue comparing us to Seattle, but those guys there at the LB position. Not only are they fast as fuck - they can lower the boom on you too.

I don't think you trade Wilkerson unless you get either a stud speed rusher or a talented FS along with pick compensation.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The speed of the linebacking corps is really what we need to improve. It gives the defense so much versatility. Antonio Allen is no where near comparable to the hitting ability of Chancellor but he is a very sound tackler. Hopefully our next coach recognizes this and uses Allen as an additional linebacker at times.

Chancellor is really what makes that defense go as good as Sherman, Thomas and Wagner are. They can play nickel at nearly all times if need be because he comes into the box and there's no drop off in run support. He's obviously not a linebacker in terms of getting of blocks be he roams so well in the box it's tough to get a clean block on him.

Hopefully we get a couple of fast linebackers and finally get an over the top safrty so then the versatility of the defense can be mixed and matched a lot more.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  9. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Suh throws an excellant deep ball is extremeley acurate and has amazing footwork in the pocket under pressure.........wait ......No he doesn't .Why would we invest that kind of money into the D Line when without a QB who's a game manager at best we will always be mediocre.I could see adding a guy with Suhs price tag if we had our franchise QB and we were a player away from seriously making a run at the Superbowl

legler82 likes this.
  10. legler82

Snacks is a 0/1T Douzable is a 5-7T. Mo would be the guy replacing Snacks in your scenario with no one really behind him unless your plan is to bring back Ellis and/or Barnes. I don't know what the going price is currently for a 0/1T but I'm sure it's far less than the kind of money Mo is going to command.

If Revis yielded just a first and I think a mid round pick, I doubt Mo would yield all that unless the pick compensation referenced is in day 2 or 3.

11. legler82

Totally agree the above but what do you do with Pryor?

12. 101GangGreen101

Always should have depth on the defensive line regardless. Ellis might fit the 4-3 going forward better than Douzable. Regardless you keep either Ellis or Douzable - whomever fits the scheme the best. Snacks can't rush the passer - he's not productive.

Snacks could demand 6-7M / season in which I would easily throw an extra 3-4M at Wilkerson for his pass rush capabilities.

13. 101GangGreen101

Have to start somewhere ... you keep your proven home-grown talent - you don't let them go because you don't have a QB right now.

Fuck Suh BTW - he's a dirty ass player and he's going to command just as much if not more than our defensive lineman.

14. legler82

What does the bold even mean? Do you believe a 0/1T has to be able to rush the passer in order to be considered productive or do honestly believe Snacks is not a productive player? Either one is crazy talk really since Snacks is one of the best run stuffers in the league and a pretty good inside rusher for a 0/1T.

15. 101GangGreen101

I'm looking at this strictly from a passing down stand-point. I think all interior lineman in a 4-3 should have some ability to get to the QB. I want the pass-rush productivity to get better - I think it can with Wilkerson / Richardson on the inside with another speed rusher on the outside. Getting rid of Wilkerson and keeping Snacks IMO will only make the pass-rush productivity decrease.

I like Snacks, but if I had to choose between a more versatile Wilkerson or Snacks - then I am taking Wilkerson each time. Wilkerson / Sheldon as I mentioned work very well together, I don't want to break that up. Wilkerson can shed those blocks, command those double teams and still get to the QB - he's that good IMO.

We need to get linebackers that fit this scheme - that's going to help our run defense.

16. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

It seems like Mo and Rich can and will play any position on the line asked of them. But Coples shouldn't be a LB in a 4-3 I agree, he's actually the perfect 4-3 end, so you saying
    Coples-Rich- Wilk - _______ (TBD Free Agency)

Can't see how snacks fits in a 4-3 unless he's even better than I thought which is pretty damn good

17. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Wilkerson would have to drop weight to play the 4-3 end role. At his current build he'd have to play inside with Richardson.

That would leave Coples at one DE spot and a need for someone else at the other.

legler82 likes this.
  18. nevbeats319

depends..who the coach is...dan quin runs a 4-3 that is really a 3-4...but you did hit it on the head with the formation..only thing is the RDE is known as the "leo" and it has to be a fast speed rusher

and snacks could play as a run stuffing nt in a 4-3...woulnt be worth it tho i guess

JetLifeLo likes this.
  19. legler82

I don't disagree with any of the above. As I said earlier "At the end of the day, it's not my money so if the Jets could fit Mo and Rich under the cap still get an edge rusher while not having to compromise other areas on the team, then I'm all for it." I'm no cap expert but I find it hard to believe you can pay 2 interior defensive linemen top dollar, still have money for a top edge rusher, good LBs, better secondary players and so on.

20. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

It's not a sure thing that Mo and Sheldon can play wherever. A 4-3 is different. Wilkerson would have to cut weight to get faster playing the outside in the 4-3. Otherwise he'd have to play inside with Sheldon and we probably wouldnt need Snacks.

Shaun Ellis made the transition, but as we've seen with Coples being moved to 3-4 OLB, it's not as easy as it sounds.