Jets transition to 4-3? Suh or Pierre-Paul possible in FA?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Connor Hughes, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

What do you all think about Demario Davis moving to OLB and Harris remaining at MLB and coming out in obvious passing downs? I think that is a good option, Harris remains very good against the run and at blowing up blocking schemes.

Obviously in nickel and dime he would come off the field. And we would need to sign another 4-3 OLB to go with Davis and Harris.

Coples-Wilkerson-Richardson-FA

Davis-Harris-FA

2. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

I would take Suh in a minute. He is the kind of player that everyone hates, unless he is on your team. What a defensive front that would be.

3. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Pierre Paul has a bad back. I cringe at lineman with bad backs

The Uniform Bomber likes this.
  4. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

We are not going to pay Suh, then Mo, then Sheldon. Reality, people. It is hard enough signing 2 of these guys, cap wise.

Gunther likes this.
  5. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

On the other hand, why pay stud D linemen big bucks to absorb double teams and get 6 or 7 sacks a year. I would not mind a few more strip sacks next season.

6. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

I'd much rather use the money on revis. Our d line is stacked already. We need secondary help to let the dline have time to get to the passer.

Ozymandias and Skicats like this.
  7. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I would be happy to see the Jets get a good corner (FA)-not a cap buster--a real free safety so Pryor could stay in the box, and a nasty LB (draft or FA) on D. I would not mind seeing Houston here. And I prefer a 4-3, particularly with all our DL guys.

8. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

IMO, JPP is overrated and Suh is a scumbag, who I don't want on the Jets.

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

couple things to consider..
    We have been killing it in run defense the last couple years. I think that should remain an emphasis. The 3-4 is a very stout D to run against when you have the personnel, and we do.

When you have multiple talented Dlineman, as we do, you also cannot double team them all.
    We actually had the 6th most Sacks in the league this year. That is with a secondary who didn't exactly provide many coverage sacks.

I agree some more strip sacks would be nice off the edge.
    Adding a guy like Houston at OLB, complimenting our existing set of players, would certainly increase or pass rush and potentially turnovers. Or returning Revis would free up what we do in our secondary, our ability to blitz, and/or our ability to give those pass rushers another second on coverage.

So rather than fixing what's not broken, I'd rather just add another dimension to it.

dmatt36 and Carpetbagger like this.
  10. rollofft1

rollofft1 New Member

Why switch to a 4-3? I say keep it 3/4 with some hybrid. Pace needs to go though. Houston would be good but expensive. I would go with the other lb that came out when Houston came out books reed from texans I wanted the jets to draft him high motor guy.

11. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

12. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Our cap has the potential to be about 58 million if we cut a few players (Babin, Pace) as has been rumored - that will leave the Jets with a load of signing money to use for what ever positions that are need to be filled.

That being said, very difficult to determine what players will be needed based on their schemes D-wise, until the Gm/coach are in place.
    Either 3-4 or 4-3, Jets are in need of a impact pass rusher. If going to a 4-3 Coples would be at DE - Wilk the other side with Harrison and Sheldon the tackles....with this they can focus on the 3 LB's - if they can manage to hold on to Harris - and we know all about Davis, that leaves the other OLB.

And that leaves the Jets to do all they can to do to try and get a player like Justin Houston. He's a beast and will solve their pass rushing woes in no time. Anyway, that's what I would do.

13. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

If the Jets want to switch to a 4-3, hopefully a team like the Browns would sign Harrison. This would give the Jets another early draft pick that can be used to get a speed rushing DE. Then the d-line can be Coples-Wilkerson-Richardson-draft pick (maybe Fowler?). Then the Jets would have to find 2 OLBs.

14. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

is there just some consensus that harrison cant work in a 4-3? what is snacks, chopped liver?

and whats with this notion that we don't have a pass rush when theres all evidence to the contrary on the field? we were top 10 in sacks for crying out loud!

its just instead of having that one guy thats got over a dozens sacks,we've got the number spread around.

The sons and coples are all we need, we don't need to indulge in an expensive free agent D-lineman, not with our younger assets, no matter how much cap space we have.

plus we'll be paying Wilkerson sooner than later too, with other needs and the appreciation of cost most free agents carry we may not have as much cash to do this in the long run as one might think.

honestly the idea of accepting a player like suh when we have a younger, cheaper DT with nearly the same sack total if you care about that sort o thing is the definition of redundant, and is completely asinine

15. dmatt36

dmatt36 Active Member

It really depends on who the DC is. Hopefully we keep Dennis Thurman who has experience putting these players in the right situation.

The fascination with the 4-3 is baffling really. Outta all the things that need to be switched with the defense, the front 7 is the least of our concern. sheldon and mo are fine where they are, coples is fine as a strongside end/olb. pace probably should go, as well as babin. Snacks is an interesting subject, he's a talented player and stuffs the run. Seeing as mo and richardson need to get paid, either snacks gets traded, or signs a cap friendly contract. Either way its a win-win, we either get a good lineman, or profit off an undrafted free agent. If he leaves, then we should keep kenrick or barnes.

LB's and secondary are what need to be examine more closely. As someone said earlier, the sub-packages play a much larger role in today's NFL. Davis eventually will need to get paid and become the leader of this team. I don't mind bringing harris back at a decent contract. Either way we go...we're gonna need OLBs (for both 4-3 and 3-4). Our CBs are gonna need to be over hauled...outside milliner, mcdougle, and marcus williams....everybody else needs to earn a spot...walls (ehh maybe), adams, wilson. Pryor is good, antonio allen is on the bubble, and so is landry.

Either way, we lack an explosive outside pass rusher for both systems and our secondary is still pretty suspect. We should spend resources on improving the overall talent of the team.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  16. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

If the new regime go's with a 4-3 our front 7 has the potential to be even better honestly.

Richardson could be as disruptive as Sapp was playing the 3T. Put Wilkerson next to him and that is two interior linemen who absolutely command a double team on every play. Coples at one end and Babin or a rookie on the other facing a 1 on 1 match-up would be an oline's nightmare.

Our LB'r corps needs to be remade anyway. In a 4-3 we need to replace both OLB's because Demario would excel as a 4-3 MLB.

In a 3-4 we have to replace at least 2 LB'rs - maybe 3 assuming we end the Coples experiment.

17. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I do not want JPP, very inconsistent. Plus he won't be leaving NYG.

While I would love to have Suh, it just isn't very realistic. I'd rather keep the homegrown guys in Mo and Sheldon.

18. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

It would literally make no sense to transition to a 4-3 at this point. The Jets have probably the 2nd and 3rd best 3-4 DEs in the entire NFL after Watt, plus a very solid NT. Changing schemes would convert those 3 from a position where they are dominant to one where they might only be league average or slightly better. Plus, both Wilkerson and Richardson are going to need to get paid a lot very soon, and Harrison will get a nice contract as well. Adding Suh or JPP to that mix means tying up a lot of money in what's already the Jets' biggest position of strength. It's just not necessary when this team has such glaring needs elsewhere. Doing so would also essentially render Coples a backup, and he's proven to be better than that. Finally, the two prospects with the most value who have a chance to be around at pick 6 are Gregory and Ray, both of whom fit nicely in a 3-4. It wouldn't make sense to draft either of those guys in a 4-3, but taking one as a 3-4 OLB/pass-rusher would fill a major need. If the Jets are going to spend big money this offseason, it should be on the secondary and/or offensive line.

dmatt36 and BacktoQueens like this.
  19. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Draft Randy Gregory or Shane Ray and spend money in free agency on a cornerback and two guards.

20. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Assuming we get Quinn, (please God).. we will switch to 4-3. Suh is a long shot, JPP just sounds too good to be true. Any suggestions as to whom we may look at?

Man would i love to scream SUHHHHHHHHH at the metlife :rolleyes: