Jets transition to 4-3? Suh or Pierre-Paul possible in FA?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Connor Hughes, Jan 2, 2015.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

JPP would be the man to get. Wilkerson and Richardson would be the 4-3 DTs in the base defense. Coples, I think is better inside, but he could be a decent Right side end.

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Forget the 4-3

Stay in the 3-4 base and pick up Houston if u want to splash on the front 7

dmatt36 and Royal Tee like this.
  3. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

If our LBs are mediocre, I think that that would be yet another reason to move to more 4-3.

4. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Not too sure I think he's injured?

5. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Boner inducing for sure, but I'd rather spend our $ improving positions we are in need at, and d-line isn't one of them.

6. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Maybe not, but at times pass rush for us can be a problem. We've had games where we swarmed like mad man and then other games where i didn't even know if our guys felt like playing. Suh will be that pass rusher we lack, not just because of his individual effort but because of what he'll allow the other beasts to do as well.. No o-line can stop that front from generating a constant and unusual amount of pressure every play, i say go for it. Then we can just bring out more d'backs to play the pass more ofte. I doubt it happens but the thought of it is just fun.

7. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Having Suh is a case of having too many cooks in the kitchen, we already have a nice stock of interior guys we could use a dominant guy on the edge like Houston, shit we probably win 2+ games this year with Houston at LOLB instead of Pace's slow ass.

8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Oh no doubt, but on the list of priorities it's pretty far down .
    Usually when I think of things that will probably never happen but are fun to think about, it involves Kate Upton .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. JetLifeLo

lmaoooo smooth.

10. JetLifeLo

Houston is nasty. But i thought he was a 3-4 guy, i guess it all depends on if we make the switch or not... damn things like this didn't matter in Rex's schemes... back to basic personnel defense

11. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

its just a waste… worry more about the LB corps if you want a 4-3, not the line.

dmatt36 likes this.
  12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

While our 3-4 lbs are an avg unit, our 4-3 lbs are non existent. We'd need to overhaul the position.
    Why create another roster void to change something that isn't broken?
    IMO changing the d front would be another tail chasing exercise

We are better suited fixing the secondary and oline

dmatt36 and The Uniform Bomber like this.
  13. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

That's a scary thought for my Pats' OL with your DL protecting him from blockers. Definitely don't wanna see that one.

Suh seems like a waste with MoWilk + Richardson already there. JPP is a great run defender but his pass rush productivity hasn't been "elite" since 2011, still a great player but I'd take Houston over him for the money they'll both want. Not sure but I believe Houston has a better health history than JPP too, JPP is always fighting back and shoulder issues.

All that said, Jets need to add corners before anything else unless they go after multiple top tier pass rushers to mask the lack of coverage.

14. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

Why not just use the talent we have? We already have MoWilk, Richardson, Harrison, Ellis, and Coples (yes, move him to DE...). Seems to me we could shuffle players around on the DL but keep them in reasonably close to natural position. Then we just need to fill the already identified gaps. Methinks you'd see an improvement in Ellis and Coples as well, but who knows.

#34 Aewhistory, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind signing Orakpo and drafting his little brother late in the draft. His brother has a ton of talent but has underachieved in college before tearing his ACL. If he could play with and learn from his brother we might have two stud pass rushers for the price of one.

16. James Hasty

Wilkerson his a free agent. I would try to lock him up for $10-11 mil per year before free agency starts. If he won't sign or demands JJ Watt money ($14-16 mil per year) we should start talking to guys like Suh. Farley is another guy we could look at. I want guys who want to be here. I have no interest in trying to see if I can set a record for pay at any position.

Ellis and Snacks are also free agents. I think we should try to bring both guys back but you can't keep them all.

At linebacker, Harris is a free agent. For $4-6 mil per year I want him back. Even if we resign him there are some studs at ILB in the draft (would love to get Kendricks from UCLA).

Outside linebacker is a mess. Coples is really a DE. Pace and Babin may give us another year or even two but are getting way too old to rely on.

17. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

The D-line wasn't the problem this year...actually it was our ONLY strong point.

18. James Hasty

The only problem with the DL is what it will cost to keep these guys.

Outside pass rush is a huge need though.

Royal Tee likes this.
  19. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

1st, Happy New Year to you.. JH :)

Yes, I agree but as I've said before...You have to pay your young players and build off them.
    We are like 7 billion dollars under the damn cap and adding LB's to this squad is something we have to look at especially if that means getting rid of Pace or him becoming the bench reserve player that he is.

That said, Right now, we have so many glaring issues that prioritizing becomes an issue in itself..lol

20. James Hasty

Happy New Year to you as well.

You have to understand that Mo Wilkerson is very different than the other free agents we have had in the past because we also have Sheldon Richardson to consider.

This has two huge implications.

1. If we lose Wilkerson we still have Richardson to mitigate the loss. With guys like Ellis and Coples that could play across from a stud like Richardson we would not be all that bad on DL without him (especially if we keep snacks).

2. Once we pay Wilkerson we have set a benchmark for what we will pay Richardson. If Wilkerson gets $15 mil per year do you think that Richardson would settle for $10 mil per year? Basically we will have to double whatever Wilkerson gets if we also want to keep Richardson. If you throw in $4-6 mil per year for snacks that leaves a big percentage of our salary cap tied up on the DL of a team that went 4-12 this year.

If we can't lock up Wilkerson before the start of free agency we should definitely shop around. If we could find a cheaper substitute (possibly Farley) we could also get players or draft picks in exchange for Wilkerson who we have locked up for another year.

legler82 likes this.