Jets transition to 4-3? Suh or Pierre-Paul possible in FA?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Connor Hughes, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Connor Hughes

Connor Hughes New Member

Some may have interest in two articles changing the pace on coaching/gm search.

First -- Information/analysis breakdown of what Jets would look like if they made the switch to a 4-3 defense. Includes needs, names to target and more:
    [Story] Jets making change to 4-3? Could work next year

Second-- Beginning of the year, Detroit Lions DT Ndamukong Suh said he wanted to play in NY. In a 3-4, that wouldn't work. In a 4-3? That's possible. Financially, Jets could afford either him, or Jason Pierre-Paul, with no significant cap hit or impact on Wilkerson/Richardson. Includes cap numbers, analysis and lineup possibilities + how it could work
    [Story] Ndamukong Suh, Jason Pierre-Paul to the New York Jets? Not as crazy as you may think

2. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

I think the last thing this franchise needs is the drama that comes with Suh. How long would it be before his antics on the field cause Richadson and MoWilk to get dragged into some stupid fight? This team has enough problems without being considered dirty as well.

3. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

If we transition on defence and the Giants don't use their franchise tag on JPP, sign me right up for some of that. His presence on the line would only increase the effectiveness of the rest.

4. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

JPP wants top money which he is not aorth

Imagine our line with Suh but is he worth the dirty antics

5. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

They are not getting a D-lineman. But Suh's a lot better than JPP.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

That would be a sick d-line if we added both.

7. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

we don't need either of these guys, we have a pretty good pair of DT's on this team at present at a great price regardless of wether we're in a 3-4 or 4-3.

thats just a luxury signing if i ever heard of it, a HUGE waste of money too. we should focus that cash in other areas, the d-line is fine.

FJF likes this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I understand taking another dl in the draft if its bpa, but spending top dollar at our strongest position when we could use upgrades at other positions is not a good idea

9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Even if they did move to the 4-3, it would probably mean Richardson and Harrison are inside with the very able Douzable rotating in also. Mo would probably be the LE and Coples would play on the other side. That's a damn good defensive line. Where do Suh, JPP and the massive contracts they'll demand fit?

Every area on this team probably needs some sort of upgrade, but DL is the one that does not

10. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

The idea is exciting but that money needs to be spent in better ways.

If Watt was available then by all means go get him. But not these guys.

Our Dline is already strong enough without em

11. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

If we're spending a trillion dollars I rather get Justin Houston instesd of these 2

12. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

I don't see Suh as an upgrade to Richardson nor does he warrant putting Richardson out of position. As stated above, Pierre-Paul is not worth the contract that he is demanding and I'm very unimpressed with him.

At #6, Shane Ray will probably be available and he would be our best option as an outside pass rusher.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  13. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

Don't see the point of getting Suh, we already have Richardson, and if we are going to use a double 3-technique rotation, might as well move Wilkerson inside with Richardson. Otherwise, Snacks is probably a better NT than Suh. Signing one of JPP, Hardy or Houston might be a good idea.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  14. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

DL is the only unit on this team with elite talent. Why spend big bucks to upgrade a team strength? I think it makes more sense to improve the weaker units on the team. The kind of spots that can't be realistically upgraded with a rookie starter.

Guard(s), WR (if Percy doesn't come back), LB, CB(s), FS is where I'd like to the FA spending to go. I think upgrading some of these units to just average would bring more wins that adding a big FA to an already elite DL.

15. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

I, too, would rather utilize the money for Justin Houston. We need a LB more than we need a DL.

My only question is, if we do change to a 4-3, is Houston one of the OLBs? Does he play in 3-4 or 4-3 now? Would he fit in this 4-3?

16. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

If we go 4-3 Wilk and Sheldon are going inside in the 3 tech, Coples might be able to take a shot at the strong side LE or could rotate at 3 tech inside like he did in college. Harrison would probably be traded or could be used in goal line/3rd and shorts inside but we would need to sign a true DE like JPP or maybe IK could play the weak side.

nevbeats319 likes this.
  17. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Crazy because i brought this up in a thread a few weeks ago, i'm not the only one that loves the thought of it.

Omg i'd love Suh on our d-line. You guys gotta think about it, suh is a great pass rusher too as well as run stopper as is Mo and Rich. We could even let Snacks walk if it meant bringing in Sue, just sign Ellis which would be saving money compared to signing snacks. I think ellis is a great D-Lineman esp. with the supporting cast around him, he can hold his own.

Coples? - DD - ??
    Rich-Suh-Ellis-Wilk

Not sure how coples would fit in a 4-3 as a LB, he could be traded honestly and we also need OLB for the opposite side, but regardless with that front 4 we wouldn't need anyone spectacular there, just some guys that can play some zone.

edit: I wonder if Suh still wants to play in NY like he said earlier this year.

18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Justin Houstons a beast he had 22 sacks id love to get this guy,Our linebacker core is very middle of the pack,I really don't see the point in switching to a 4-3,it all depends on who the defensive coordinators gonna be

dmatt36 likes this.
  19. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

I don't really see the point either since its just a damn base defense, nickel and dime packages are more often used nowadays and are always multiple front wise. Plus we clearly have linemen that can 2 gap so might as well stay base 3-4 and try to pry away a guy like Houston or Orakpo.

dmatt36, BacktoQueens and JetLifeLo like this.
  20. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

How has Orakpo been playing i haven't heard his name in a while... Houston is beast though, sign that beast!