Head Coach Candidates (Coaches Jets have requested Permission to interview)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 29, 2014.

1. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Cable is a no. Guy seems a bit like a scumbag.

Kubiak is an intriguing option. Had nowhere near success Rex did in 09 and 10. However, made Schaub look good for most of his tenure there. He actually has won playoff games, albeit against the Bengals.

I'm sad Rex is gone, but he has survived far too much change with the team getting worse to keep him around another year. If he eeked out three more wins, he's probably still here today, tbh. But that means Idzik is still here too

2. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

These are good questions of any coordinator seeking a HC job. It's especially true of Ryan, given that as HC, he spent his time being, essentially, the DC. Sad, really, because if he applied himself to the offense (like he did to the defense), the last four years could have been much different.

3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

So far I am not impressed by any of these options.. I am intrigued by some but I'm not in love with any of them.

We will regret firing Rex Ryan. I just have this sick feeling about it.. He was the best coach out there, by far in my eyes. I hope I'm wrong, I just don't think that I am.

almbleamal and Jets69 like this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Kubiak would bring this offense back to respectability. Needs a strong defensive coach though. He's had some talented teams in HOU and he did have several 8-8 seasons

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

http://www.metro.us/new-york/anthon...r-jets-head-coach-job/zsJnlD---eShMArRsu3q32/

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We need a head coach who understands how to run the day to day operations of a professional football team. He needs to be hands on in all aspects of the team, working with his assistants to make every part of the team better every day. He needs to be enough of a disciplinarian that players won't tune out and won't continually repeat mistakes. He also needs to have enough personality that the inevitable conflicts get ironed out and the players can go about the business of policing the locker room, something a coach can never do well.

Herm was a good guy and he had the motivational aspects down pat but he didn't understand how to run the day to day operations well. The Jets were a sloppy team at times under him and they went through a lot of players who then moved on and did ok elsewhere.

Mangini understood the day to day operations but he was rough on the edges in terms of his player relations, not surprising in a Belichik disciple. He was too young to have the credibility needed to survive a couple of disappointing seasons. He didn't have good relations with his players and so the policing of the locker room became problematic. He didn't mesh well with the FO and ownership and the Brett Favre arrival and subsequent implosion did him in.

Rex was just a force of nature who overwhelmed people with his personality. He never had firm control of the day to day operations because he didn't hold his players accountable for their mistakes. He ran a solid defense and the Jets were always competitive on that side of the ball but the offense repeatedly fell down on the job. The Jets mistakes under Rex were oft-repeated, much like their mistakes under Herm, and the sloppy undisciplined play is what did him in eventually. One big difference between Herm and Rex is that young players who were given a chance tended to thrive under Herm. They stagnated under Rex.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It would be kind of improbable for the Jet to get a real opportunity to hire a coach and GM who worked together, knew each other and had enough respect for the other to make things mesh well.

It would probably be a great hire if they managed the feat but you'd also have 2 guys coming into a new level of authority at the same time and we'd have to get lucky to avoid one of them bollixing the works randomly.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Really are not many options out there if you are trying to avoid a first timer combo hc/gm.
    Kubiak/ kirchner would be the best option under those guidelines

9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

That's all good and well...

The problem is, Rex made huge strides in the playoffs, beating very good teams along the way. He did it twice.

Herm never got close, never was elite at any aspect of football, he also was not good at younger players progression as you stated. He was the definition of staying firm with older vets in place. Just look at Jerricho Cotchery, he never even got a real chance under Herm.

Maybe you are talking about some other younger players that I am forgetful of, I dunno, but younger players clearly flourished under Rex as well, Harrison, Davis, Wilkerson, Richardson, Ellis, Williams, Adams. I just don't get that argument.

What did Rex in was a lack of roster talent and most importantly not have a fucking QB that can play elite football. Something that has been a big problem for this team for years and years.

The big thing for me is about what Is available out there now for us.. That is the big deal. You can talk about what we need all day long but is there anyone out there that can bring those things together? I don't see it. I think sometimes you have to work around some things to maximize some things. We had a really good coach already, we really just needed to fix some things around that coach already in place. When your owner is making comments in a presser after firing the two most important spots in the F/O, saying, "The GM and coach ultimately need to be on the same page, the GM needs to be able to bring in guys that fit that coach's scheme specific traits." That tells you where the real problem lied.

Who do you think fits your definition of a good coach? Of what we need? Who is available right now that fits that criteria?

I certainly don't see him out there.

legler82 likes this.
  10. Beki

Beki Active Member

Wrong topic for my comment, sorry.

11. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Everything you say in paragraph one I agree with. That is why I am confused by the way you have defended Rex the past few years. Rex is a coach---not a manager. He has run the team like a slob for several years. But whatever. Mangini was a BB wannabe. Pathetic to come to another team and try to recreate--pretty much piece for piece-the team you came from. And be someone you are not. You cannot deal with the unexpected if you are a robot. I never wanted Herm, and that ridiculous Elmer Gantry speech he made at his introductory presser totally turned me off. I though I was in a Chattauqua tent. But he basically played Tony Dungy football while he was here. I want someone original. Rex had original ideas on defense, but he was lost at everything else. I read names like Kubiak, and Turner, and Cable, and I want to be sick.

#391 jdon, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

It was a mistake to fire Rex when you look at whos available

legler82 likes this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Correct. I don't know why you would guarantee yourself a downgrade the way we did. I get that Woody had to make this move because that stupid vocal portion of the fan base would root and put up billboards and the media would just feed into the frenzy. It just wasn't the right move.

14. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Everything you say in paragraph one I agree with. That is why I am confused by the way you have defended Rex the past few years. Rex is a coach---not a manager. He has run the team like a slob for several years. But whatever. Mangini was a BB wannabe. Pathetic to come to another team and try to recreate--pretty much piece for piece-the team you came from. And be someone you are not. You cannot deal with the unexpected if you are a robot. I never wanted Herm, and that ridiculous Elmer Gantry speech he made at his introductory presser totally turned me off. I though I was in a Chattauqua tent. But he basically played Tony Dungy football while he was here. I want someone original. Rex had original ideas on defense, but he was lost at everything else. I read names like Kubiak, and Turner, and Cable, and I want to be sick.

15. LongIslandBlitz

I feel like if that stuff didn't happen and Idzik doesn't get fired Rex doesn't either but its to late for that now

16. LongIslandBlitz

He would be a great oc for us but a head coach?disgusting I wanna throw up on myself just thinking about it

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I don't remember who it is that keeps saying it, but someone keeps posting "be careful what you wish for". If this list of head coaching candidates doesn't scare you off a little bit and make you second-guess your opinion about wanting Rex gone, I don't know what will.

18. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Rex did not have the team prepared on too many occasions in addition to his time management blunders. He is not the solution by a long-shot.

19. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

This thread title is perfectly clear:
    Head Coach Candidates (Coaches Jets have requested Permission to interview)

PLEASE take the whining and complaining about Rex being fired to another thread.

20. LongIslandBlitz

When?our two losses by the Patriots were by a combined 3 points.We got blown out by the Bills twice and the Chargers other then that we were in every game lost, a lot of our losses were by a td,with the talent on the field I think Rex did all he could with what he had