Head Coach Candidates (Coaches Jets have requested Permission to interview)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

It's not about hiring a "better defensive" minded coach than Rex because we are hiring a HC not a DC. It's okay to hire a HC who's 25% less "defensive minded" as long as he's 100% more "offensive minded" than Rex was.

Knowing when to call a timeout would help too.

2. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

This is what I was going to touch on. Even if they are equal as far as their "defensive minds" are concerned as long as Quinn is a better coach in the areas that Rex failed then it's still an improvement. Not completing ignoring or having no competence when it comes to offense would be a big bonus, knowing when to call a TO would be another one.

That being said I am somewhat weary of another defensive minded coach given our glaring problems with offense, but Quinn seems like one of if not the best candidate available so if we land him it's hard to complain about that.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

This is fine with me by the way.. They should let Harris walk. He's an old school trodding LB in a league trending towards smaller, quicker, coverage LBs... plus he's getting up there in age and not getting any quicker. If he is willing to come back on the cheap, I suppose they could find a place for him but I doubt he would..

Davis is the new style LB as he can both stop the run and cover the passing game. He would flourish in Quinn's defense, which would maximize his talents. I also think Quinn's scheme would be great for Coples who has momentum from his strong finish this year.

They could grab OLBs in FA or mid rounds, I wouldn't worry too much there, but the secondary obviously would need a lot of work and would be a concern.

GoldenShowers likes this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Reich is a very interesting prospect...

Axel3419 likes this.
  5. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Shefter reports we will be interviewing

Gary Kubiak
    Tom Cable
    Todd Bowles
    Frank Reich

Really Woody?Kubiak and Tom Cable are u fucking kidding me

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Please God, no Todd Bowles, and Tom Cable.

Kubiak intrigues me though - if he can find a defensive mind to get these guys in the right scheme this could work. Kubiak no doubt will get the offense back in shape that's for sure.

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Kubiak would be a very solid HC if he kept Thurman on board. Keep our defensive philosophies the same and let Kubiak do his thing with the offense.

8. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Idk I actually wouldn't kind Kubiak. Brought the Texans from mediocrity to a 12-4 season before their Qb's play dropped of steeply.

9. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

According to Wikipedia, "Throughout Reich's NFL career, he remained a devout Christian. He is amotivational speaker utilizing the great comebacks and the importance of God as a main keynote of his speeches. He credits the song "In Christ Alone" as his inspiration."

Would be quite the change from Rex, lol.

TNJet and slimjasi like this.
  10. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

No Kubiak please. I've never seen a coach whose team was more frequently viewed as "this year's breakout" and consistently whiffed on those predictions. The quintessential sexy failure.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

None of those guys is somebody you'd hire to build a team. That makes HC before GM iffy. You hire any of them and you're going to wind up with Charlie Casserly as GM next year because the good GM candidates will view them unfavorably. If you hire the GM and he's onboard with the choice then hiring most of them would be fine.

Cable has had issues as HC in terms of consistency of effort by his players and Reich probably doesn't have the chops for a HC job. His resume is full of offensive assistant somewhere with a great QB already in place when he arrived. The one exception is Arizona in 2012 where the offense was a Rex-ian disaster all year long.

12. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

About Reich, I was a little young for these games, but watching "The Comeback" and "The Comeback PII" is pretty cool. Considering that this year, the Chargers had thirteen centers on an already suspect line, their offense didn't do so poorly at all. Like all former players, he's definitely an interesting choice.

13. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

None of those guys are intresting except maybe Todd Bowles

14. BrowningNagle

Frank Reich would be a good hire. You want a guy who can develop QBs and that's something he's done.

15. Br4d

The Chargers had Philip Rivers at QB. The Colts had Peyton Manning at QB. When he was at Arizona they had a more Jets-like selection of QB's and the offense was putrid.

All I'm saying is that when Reich has looked good he has had a Hall of Fame caliber QB that he didn't develop calling the plays at the line.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If the Jets go to the Seattle well again, Trent Kirchner, the new GM would more than likely hire Dan Quinn, the HC. Then Trestman for OC?

17. Br4d

Who did Reich develop?

18. BrowningNagle

Did good work with Manning in Indy, revived Rivers in SD

19. Br4d

You probably let Quinn hire his OC at that point. The HC should build his staff with input from the GM.

20. Br4d

My grandmother could do good work with Peyton Manning. Rivers "revival" was at least in part due to the arrival of a good young receiver in Keenan Allen. The Chargers were 17th in offense this year.

Give Geno Smith to Frank Reich and you get Geno Smith.