Sanchez Kicking Ass In Philly

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by JetsKickAss, Aug 19, 2014.

1. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Just anticipation based on past experience on the board, some of his biggest supporters don't post on weekends and the expectation thing and low bar for Jets QB's is something I've talked about a lot in the past and in Sanchez threads.
    Did I mention it specifically in that post? No. But it is something I've talked a lot about.

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

You have to have low expectations for bad/average quarterbacks. You can raise the expectations once they prove themselves.

3. 1968jetsfan

There's a difference between lowering one's expectations and accepting what you currently have. If you lower you're expectations then the performance becomes acceptable and mediocrity becomes the norm. You can, for example, accept that you have an old clunker of a car that's not reliable and frequently breaks down, you may deal with it, work around it, but you don't lower your expectations of how a car should run and you don't compare, or think of, your 73 pinto as a 2014 Ferrari.

4. The 1985er

It's all about knowing what you have. If your 68 Thunderbird runs like shit then that's expected considering the car. But if the 2014 Ferrari runs like shit then you have to question it. Your expectations for the 68 car and the 14 car can't be equal.

If you have a bad qb you can't expect him to do the things that elite QB's do.

5. 1968jetsfan

Expectations for the specific car no, but expectations for what a car should be then yes. And that's the thing here, You can have low expectations of a specific QB based on what that player can do but that doesn't change your expectation of the QB position.

Going back to the car, you can expect your 68 Thunderbird to be unreliable but that doesn't change your expectation of what a good car is or what a good car is supposed to do. Same with the QB position, And here's my gripe with fans regarding Sanchez. If Sanchez goes out and has what would be an ohum game for most QB's it's called a fantastic game, that's lowering the expectations of the QB position. For Sanchez 299 yards and 2 TD vs 1 pick is a very good game, but it's just a little more than an average game for the position, more or less.

My expectations are for what I expect out of the position, not out out of the player.

6. The 1985er

Of course in general we all have expectations for a quarterback. But you have to judge each qb on a case by case basis. Ryan Lindley and Aaron Rodgers are not the same because one doesn't belong in the league and the other is an elite qb. So therefore if a guy like Lindley goes 10-17 175 2 TD's 1 int. that's a good game for Lindley. But that would be a mediocre game for Rodgers.

7. 1968jetsfan

Which is exactly what I'm talking about, lowering expectations for the position and accepting mediocrity as the norm for the position for a team.

slimjasi likes this.
  8. The 1985er

In a perfect world every qb should play at an elite level. But this is real life and every QB's skill level and ability is different.

legler82 likes this.
  9. 1968jetsfan

In a perfect world yes. Let us go back to your Lindley statement, and yes that would be a great game for Lindley compared to his norm, but do you consider Lindley an acceptable starting NFL QB? Lindley by that standard played excellet for a 3rd string, or nominal 2nd string QB. Now if you want to argue that Sanchez had a great game based on what Sanchez is and isolated to just him then fine, he had a great game for Sanchez. If you want to argue that Sanchez had a great game for a backup QB, i"m on board with that to, it was a fantastic game for a backup QB. But if you want to argue that it was a fantastic game for a Starting 1st String NFL QB, nope...on that level it was an okay game, not awful, not great.

10. The 1985er

That's pretty much my point. Sanchez is a backup qb so for him that's a good game. Sanchez is a limited quarterback so for him that's a good game.

11. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

So now that the season is wrapped up, it's nice to know that we were right about Sanchez sucking and not being NFL material.

What sucks even more is that somehow we managed to give the job to an even bigger loser who thinks he's pro-bowl material and is going to be the QB for the next decade

12. 1968jetsfan

But that's not the point that the others are making now is it?

13. 1968jetsfan

Speaking of Geno, now he truly had an excellent game by any QB's standards, too bad the rest of his season has been crap..but I won't ride him on that point because I don't ride 2nd year QB's very hard.

I mean 20 of 25 for 388 and 3TD's to 0 picks is a damn good game by any standards, it doesn't get much better than that. But if Geno's the starting QB next year he doesn't have to have that kind of game, but he's got to get rid of all the turkey games he had this year.

14. MsuJets

MsuJets Active Member

Even if you get rid of all the turkey games, you'll only find one or two good games. He's just not an NFL starting QB.

15. 1968jetsfan

Didn't say he was, but again I don't judge QB's to harshly their first two or three seasons, but I'm all in favor of drafting a QB and or bringing in a vet and letting whoever shows best have the job...not a fan of handing anyone the ob without true competition.

16. The 1985er

Ignore delusional people.

17. MsuJets

MsuJets Active Member

Can this vet be Mark Sanchez? ;)

18. 1968jetsfan

for 1 or 2 million guaranteed on a 1 year deal with the condition that he's coming in as a backup with a chance to win the starting job.....but that's mostly because unless some QB gets cut there really isn't much to choose from in the FA market. That doesn't change my opinion that Sanchez is an NFL backup QB in terms of quality, it's a statement that our current QB has up to this point not proven himself to be an NFL starter either so regardless of who they Jets sign as a veteran it's a battle of the backup QB's...not a statement on how good the Veteran would be, it's just that Geno's been truly horrible and the Jets will likely have to draft a developmental QB in the draft since they'll most likely miss out on Markus and Winston.

19. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Looks like somebody got 2 weeks off of paid posting for Christmas

alleycat9 likes this.
  20. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

He's in the lab drawing up his trolling points. Just taking a little longer than usual now its getting harder to think of excuses.