Woody Johnson is preparing to hire former GM Charley Casserly as a consultant

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SienaSaints, Dec 22, 2014.

1. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

One of my favorites from him. “The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase.”

NY Jets68 likes this.
  2. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Casserly is not getting hired to be the GM.
    From what i've been reading Casserly is going to be 1 of a few advisers Woody will be consulting with and will not in any way be in a power position to hire/fire.

Casserly is part of a development advisory board created last year to aid teams in GM & coaching searches.

For once I feel confident that we may finally be headed in the right direction.
    I think Woody got the message loud and clear that this team is a laughing stock in league circles and fans will not accept mediocrity going forward.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

See, this is the kind of position I don't understand. If the team is on an upward trend in two years, because the Jets have put the right people in place, do you really expect that the fans will be near as unhappy as they are now, at 3-12?

Now, if Woodrow has in the meantime hired people who do not improve the team, I would expect more fan unhappiness, as you imply. And I will also say there will be fans who, rightly, will point out that an upward trend is nice, but the ultimate goal is longterm success coupled with, God forbid we say so, a Super Bowl win.

But I don't expect continued fan unhappinesss if the new people bring even relative success, and of course you give away the error of your position when you say knee jerk, as if there's something wrong with being unhappy with 3-12.

4. Big Blocker

I don't konw about that. Norval is a proven, experienced offensive minded coach. While I have concerns about the D, and the need to rebuild the secondary and transition out some of hte older linebackers, I think Turner could be effective with a good DC. Of course if some better candidate emerges, so be it. But the Jets could do much worse than Turner.

FlaJet likes this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Casserly scares me.

Red Menace likes this.
  6. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Turner has had multiple spins of the wheel; all futile.

I'd be thrilled with a second opportunity coach, but I'm not interested in beating a dead horse.

legler82 and BrowningNagle like this.
  7. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Casserly won't be a part of the decision making to keep either Rex or Idzik. He's going to be on board to help with the rebuilding process after (if) Woody decides to can Rex and Idzik. Firing Idzik AND overhauling the entire scouting and personnel team is the way to go and that's what Casserly is going to help rebuild.

8. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

He's also a proven poor head coach. OC: I'm fine with, but as HC, it will just put me in a wait until they replace him mode.

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Misread that earlier. I thought he was being brought on as an adviser regardless. We can only hope Casserly looks at what Seattle just did with all of their top players and realizes this is what Idzik was trying to do and whoever he suggests we bring in values the cap, unlike Tannenbaum. The last thing we need is another wheeling and dealing dope to put us back in the hole we just got out of.

10. Big Blocker

I am not going to waste too much time talking about someone I don;t feel all that strongly about in the first place, but it's really a bit much to dump on Norv.

For example he's referred to, usually, as an effective OC for the most part who "failed" 3 times as an HC. Well, when you look at the details, that damning kind of conclusion is somewhat questionable.

For example when he was fired by Washington, he was fired when he had a winning record, making him the only HC since the AFL joined to be fired mid-season while having a winning record. I am sure ownership felt they had their reasons, but we are not talking abject failure here. He then went to Oakland, and concededly they had two poor seasons with him as HC, but imo that was mostly roster driven, and Al Davis had lost it by then.

Turner's six seasons with San Diego were concededly a mixed bag in terms of expectations and the playoffs, but he was 59-40 with three playoff appearances. He only had one losing season, 7-9, his last one, and he was fired. imo that was brought on because the GM, AJ Smith, was rightly fired for letting too many Pro Bowl players get away and not replacing them, and the SD ownership did not want to keep Turner with a new GM.

So Turner had his problems getting started in Washington, but was not a failure at the time he was fired there. Oakland was a shit show due to overall poor management. And he was relatively successful in San Diego, and was fired in large part because the GM was fired.

Meanwhile he has two SB rings for his work in Dallas developing a young Qb, Troy Aikman, and one of hte best offenses in recent memory.

We could do much woise.

FlaJet likes this.
  11. Big Blocker

I am not going to waste too much time talking about someone I don;t feel all that strongly about in the first place, but it's really a bit much to dump on Norv.

For example he's referred to, usually, as an effective OC for the most part who "failed" 3 times as an HC. Well, when you look at the details, that damning kind of conclusion is somewhat questionable.

For example when he was fired by Washington, he was fired when he had a winning record, making him the only HC since the AFL joined to be fired mid-season while having a winning record. I am sure ownership felt they had their reasons, but we are not talking abject failure here. He then went to Oakland, and concededly they had two poor seasons with him as HC, but imo that was mostly roster driven, and Al Davis had lost it by then.

Turner's six seasons with San Diego were concededly a mixed bag in terms of expectations and the playoffs, but he was 59-40 with three playoff appearances. He only had one losing season, 7-9, his last one, and he was fired. imo that was brought on because the GM, AJ Smith, was rightly fired for letting too many Pro Bowl players get away and not replacing them, and the SD ownership did not want to keep Turner with a new GM.

So Turner had his problems getting started in Washington, but was not a failure at the time he was fired there. Oakland was a shit show due to overall poor management. And he was relatively successful in San Diego, and was fired in large part because the GM was fired.

Meanwhile he has two SB rings for his work in Dallas developing a young Qb, Troy Aikman, and one of hte best offenses in recent memory.

We could do much woise.

12. no psls

no psls Banned

Your shadow scares you also .

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Firing a g.m. after 2 years when the head coach of 6 years has shown to be the root of the problem is a knee jerk reaction.

14. Big Blocker

Once again, binary thinking raises its ugly head.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They are both the root of the problem. And at least the HC had a track record of some success in his job.. not a nobody in over his head. That requires a "knee jerk" reaction

FlaJet likes this.
  16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Brilliant, you sir have won an internet.

17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Hahahahaha......prefer mangini myself!

18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Seriously folks.....the pool is a bit thin out there. U folks still in school should get ur CPA, then ur JD, hook up with an NFL team serving coffee for a year or 2 and come rescue this franchise at some point around 2025 or so.

Tia in case I'm 6 ft under.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Not enough evidence to support that

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

do you watch this team play on sundays? I personally don't want to waste a couple more years so we can get more evidence like that

FlaJet likes this.