How Big of a Turnaround Can the Jets Have in 2015?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 15, 2014.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

-New Head Coach/Philosophy

-New Quarterback

-New Cornerbacks and Milliner/McDougle returning.

-Solid pieces on offense.

3 wins this season but Packers, Bears, Lions, Patriots, Chiefs, Dolphins, and Vikings games were all more than winnable.

I don't think it is unrealistic to think that with proper offseason moves and a good draft, the Jets could compete for a playoff spot in 2015.

What do you guys think? Should fans be optimistic about 2015 or is this team too far gone and years away from competing?

2. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Our schedule will be much easier and with a new QB we should have some hope :)

Pocket Jet and The Dark Knight like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Typical FO homer.

Right? Isn't that what we do when anyone expresses any kind of optimism?

4. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Depends on who we have under center.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  5. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Even at three wins I dont think the Jets are tremedously far off. Next year's schedule should be easier for sure.

I think they're a CB and QB away from being a good team.

Hopefully a healthy Milliner and McDougle are very good next year, but there needs to be a contingency plan in case they're bitten by the injury bug again. CB will definitely be addressed through FA, so I'm not too worried about it.

Geno has the rest of the year to earn a chance to compete for a roster spot next year. He wont be starting. Jets have some damn good weapons now, so any veteran game managing QB should be able to protect the ball better than Geno and put us in a better position to score.

I tihnk they'll be a much better team next season.

6. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Next year may be the year we really make a serious run at a #1 pick. Seriously, how much do we have to build on right now? Of course, the draft could change all that and same with Free Agency. Just not liking our track record in those 2 areas.

7. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

You have to be kidding me, we don't even know the new coach or GM and unless 2015 is spent developing a rookie "franchise" QB (seems less likely after yesterday's win), I'm not even sure there is any value to wins next season. Unless you think Geno takes a quantum leap forward and we bring in a rookie head coach that catches fire right away, this team, playoffs, and 2015 should not ever be used in a sentence going forward.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Teams can turn it around very quickly and compete for a playoff spot in today's NFL, but let's not sugar coat the dumpster fire that is the 2014 Jets. We need a complete overhaul.

Pocket Jet and The Dark Knight like this.
  9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Not expecting much, basically as a defense mechanism.

10. The Dark Knight

Haha right. I think that is the only way to be. I made this thread because any Jets fan knows the games that we watched this year were all winnable. I left out the Chargers and both Bills games, but the others were close and a play or two away from going the other way. If they somehow get a quarterback who is AVERAGE, they can turn at least a few of those losses into wins.

I agree with that too. When a team does that, they could take a step back further, before taking two steps forward.

11. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

In the NFL, it's possible. There have been complete turnarounds for teams in one year who overhauled their entire FO and QB's. Yet those cases are the exception, not the norm.

The answer to this questions depends on what the next regime looks like.

12. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

Playoff expansion would make a future playoff berth a lot easier. We have to keep building and improving the team the next year or two and be ready to take over the division when Brady retires.

Axel3419 likes this.
  13. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Don't know who the Gm/Head Coach will be or what the off season plan is so this not a question that can be answered. Ah never mind Super Bowl or bust.

14. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

I'm really just excited to see how Idzik handles this, no sarcasm.

His dream of Rex being gone will happen so he'll have full control. I can't wait to see who he brings in.

If it includes Seattles scouting department then by all means Mr.Idzik, stay.

15. The Dark Knight

Idzik staying would be interesting too. He would have so much pressure on him from the fans and even inside the organization. He would finally have the team he wants, as you said, though.

16. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

Too many moving parts to tell how we will do next season. Modern NFL is very random, a different schedule, an injury here or there, some ref calls, and a team can easily go from bottom of the league to playoffs, or in the opposite direction. Just look at how we went from 8-8 to 3-11 and our talent is actually better this year.

The bad thing for 2015 is that we might not be able to address our QB situation this offseason. Thanks to the win yesterday, Mariota and Winston might both be gone by the time we pick, and trading up might be prohibitively costly. We can draft somebody else later, but from what I understand everyone is a long shot there. There aren't any long-term solutions in free agency either. Maybe Idzik can swing a trade for a decent QB, we will see. I wouldn't be surprised if we had to postpone addressing that issue until the 2016 offseason and just signed someone like Hoyer for a year as a stopgap.

The good thing for 2015 is that we should have more overall talent on the team. High draft picks, lots of salary cap space, guys coming back from injuries, young players developing, and so on. I also expect the schedule to be less brutal, although who knows. Obviously the likely new HC and his staff will play a big role. But ultimately, only time will show.

17. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Draft order question I know we beat Oak and Ten but if we all finish at 3-13 who gets the tie breaker since its strength of sch...

18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

2015 will be year 1 of a rebuild, and it will likely be led by a veteran retread QB.
    and that's if things go well.

the worse case scenario is keeping a desperate Idzik around though, burning all our resources with an interim coach, until both are fired within the next 1-2 years.

bite the bullet and start the rebuild process now, and maybe we'll be competitive again by 2016.
    it's not a rosy outlook, but i think it's our best case scenario.

19. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I have low expectations if the ball bounces our way maybe we go 7-9, 8-8. Let's give the young guys some experience and continue to develop the talent.

20. roger

roger Active Member

I think mediocrity is definitely within our reach next season. I could see 8-8.

But, if we want our franchise to be truly successful, we need a big time QB. And, we blew whatever chance we had at that by winning yesterday.

johnny likes this.