Leading the league in YAFC avg

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ajitator, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

"Ivory as No. 1 in the NFL with 2.8 yards after first contact and Johnson as No. 2 with 2.7 a YAFC average."

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/art...-Contact/40ccc9cf-60f1-410b-9c9a-fd55544d9f31

I found this interesting. We're low on the list in yards before first contact, But at the top of the list for yards after first contact. Which raises the point are our RBs not getting north south fast enough,.. or is our run blocking just poor?

Either way I was really surprised to see CJ at the top of the list with Ivory. ( though I think this is slightly skewed by his big TD run ).

Axel3419 likes this.
  2. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Chris Jonson had a pretty awful first few games save Oakland. Marty's refusal to run the offense out of any formation other than shotgun has killed the vast majority of the running game. Geno inability to sell a fake killed the rest of the running game.

Powell should have had many more pops this season as well been involved in the non existent screen game; major focal play of any competent offense

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah, I'd guess that north of 80% of their carries have been out of the shotgun or pistol. It only stands to reason that yards before contract would be terrible.

rockyusmc2003 and Red Menace like this.
  4. Ajitator

I attribute it to that and people being able to stack 8 against us for most of the season, and leaving man coverage on the back side. Not being afraid of Geno airing it out means a lot more congestion in the box means defenses with their ears pinned back.

I was hoping after we signed J. Connor we would see a lot more standard run formations, and while there has been a slight uptick. I think we still run to much pistol and shotgun for either back to be comfortable.

5. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

Add to that is the consistent call for a run on most every 1st down call. It's changing now a bit with the new QB.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It's that stupid ass zone read offense.

7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

i'm a little surprised at Johnson's yac. i don't think he'll consistently break as many tackles as Ivory, but when he does he can put up some good ydg.
    We have a very good RB squad. a dangerous pass catcher would make us a great RB squad.

i'd like to see yds before contact go up. Our line is certainly physical in the run game. it's where Colon and Breno are at their best.
    but still i'd like to upgrade the OT position, and we really need either Winters, Dozier, or Aboushi to step it up to the next level.
    Aboushi has shown some development, but is still a below avg Guard at this point.

8. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

CJ is surprising CI is a tank

9. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

We need a o-line mann! Ivory and CJ could do damage if they got 5 yards untouched like Demarco & his RB crew down in Dallas. I hope our next coach likes to ground n pound too!

10. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Who cares,this stat is meaningless we are 2-8.2-8 is the only stat that matters

Leicester Jet, Pocket Jet and Jets69 like this.
  11. Pavelboca

Pavelboca Active Member

You're right let's stop having an intelligent discussion about anything then. Mods please close every thread that doesn't have to do with us being 2-8

Pocket Jet, Ajitator, 74 and 2 others like this.
  12. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

Not that 2-8 is the only stat that matters, but this stat _is_ pretty much meaningless.

So it might indicate that our RBs run hard. It might mean that we have played weak tackling teams. It might mean that our RBs get hit a lot behind the line of scrimmage, that they are shifty, that they are well-coached, that the phase of the moon is favourable to their breaking tackles, whatever. It seems to me that getting that 2.8 yards after first contact (especially for an RB who almost always gets contacted at the line) is pretty useless when it comes to moving the ball, scoring points, and winning games. And that's borne out by the results on the field.

Pocket Jet and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  13. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Ivory as been consistently one of the best in the league in this area. I'd hardly call him either of them east-west runners, though Ivory's definitely got more of it than CJ. Johnson is extremely surprising. Our o-line has been terrible run blocking with the exception of Mangold. It is not a useless stat. It shows how bad our o-line has been.

14. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

The thing about a lot home run hitting RB's, like CJ, is that a lot of their runs will be short gains or even losses. Everyone remembers Sanders as a big threat big play running back but they forget he often lost yardage on plays too. The thing about a home run hitter like CJ is you have to give them enough carries in a game to break one, if you're not giving them at least 20 touches a game they're going to look bad usually.

15. Ajitator

This was a point I made in a thread about Harvin getting carries out of the back field as well. I would love for CJ to get 5 more touches a game to see if he could break one. Seems lately that Marty is giving both backs a shot to make their case for more carries in the first part of the game and then "feeding the hot hand" to quote our coaches.

Another thing that seems like a moot point, But was brought up about our RBs this week is that all 3 of them are really fresh and have avoided the injury bug all year. If we were making a playoff push this would matter. Haha

1968jetsfan likes this.
  16. Ajitator

I don't think it's a meaningless stat. It gives us a pretty good idea of where we're losing yards compared to the rest of the league. It's on the front side of runs. Rest of the league gets a couple yards, and then gets stopped... We get stopped.. then get a couple yards.

I think that says something both about our O-Line (it's not great), our Schemes ( to much shotgun, pistol, not enough Iform ), and our Running Backs ( they're awesome ).

LIJetsFan likes this.
  17. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

I am equally impressed with our 2-8 record. Their performances have truly helped us to this outstanding achievement.

legler82 likes this.
  18. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

Really would have thought the roles would have been reversed this year between CJ and CI

19. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Ivory leading in that stat is legit, he runs as hard as anybody in the game. CJ being #2 in that stat is probably somewhat flukey... Either way it's something to look at with a positive.

20. mst3000

mst3000 Member

I thought it used to be YAC? Unless this is a new stat for yards gained after meeting aliens for the first time.