John Idzik Press Conference thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

This weekend I saw Slauson get hurt as a starter, Howard play OT, Cro play CB, and Sanchez hold a clipboard.

Where would the Jets be, with that 15 mil in salary spent wisely (tanny)?

1 loss.

2. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Idzik needs to burn in football hell..

He makes Schotty look competent.

3. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

from espn insider:

By most accounts, the Jets overpaid for receiver Eric Decker in free agency. They seemed to go out of their way to save money elsewhere, notably at cornerback. Agents have said it's tough getting deals done with Idzik because the GM feels as though he has to win every negotiation. One described Idzik as afraid to make a mistake. "As a result, he went into free agency with tons of money and it was basically a disaster for them," one agent said.

This from another Jet fan page. I don't have ESPN insider perhaps someone can expand on this..

4. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

I am terrified to think of this scouting department making a top 5 pick for us next year.

5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

The thing that bothers me the most is Woody, and Idzik now, keep telling us that they're doing everything within their powers to put the best team possible on the field. I keep hearing that from them.

Isn't that a given?

But a little voice keeps telling me that in reality they're not. They think they are, but they're not.
    They're not because Woody Johnson is behind the scenes pulling strings, and he actually thinks he can do things differently, his way, and still win.
    That he's smarter, and he buck the system his way.

I don't like Woody. and I don't trust him. I question whether he's actually a competent person to begin with.

6. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

I also read somewhere that agents have said Idzik had lied to them.

7. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

That's a common thread in Woody's World. They lied to Pete Kendall. They played dirty with others. Tanny lied to people. The common denominator is Woody Phuckin Johnson

The dudes a phony scumbag. He's got no business owning a team.

He has some of line shit when he comes across as this caring benevolent guy. He's a scumbag and deals dirty.

Idzik even sounded like Woody yesterday...same line of horse shit

Big Blocker likes this.
  8. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I have been in the nobody-fires-a-GM-after-two-years camp but that is conventional thinking. The Idzik-hire-but-keep-Rex move was not conventional. So maybe Woody would fire him. Woody may not be strong enough to resist the tidal wave of negative press in this town. Maybe he will also let the newspapers pick his next GM for him.

9. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Idzik must be really good at sayibg the right things in order to not get sodomized (by the owner.) And he keeps telling Woody "we're only half way there. This is worse than 96.

10. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Well, the New York Post is only a dollar. Johnson paid $300,000 for some clown to find Idzik.

BleedJetsGreen1981, jdon and pclfan like this.
  11. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Cromartie looked great the other day as a Cardinal,two INTs in the game .Cro could have been a big help for us and for the price tag it would have been perfect.But instead we got no one ,Idzik is the death of this franchise ,now we need someone to come in and fix another mess made by a Jets gm

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I don't mind not resigning cro. We always complain about holding aging players too long. And there was enough risk that he would have been the same player as last year.
    as far as slauson, we were tight against the cap but probably could have fit him in. Idzic valued the comp pick more i guess. In retrospect bad move but more for the execution than theory. Which is what is going to matter.
    Personally, i am having a hard time getting o board with firing a g.m. after 2 years and a coach he didn't pick, even if it can be justified This is going to be a very interesting winter

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. That makes a lot of sense. He is ultra conservative. He is afraid to make any mistakes as a result he is putting himself and this organization two steps behind other organizations. He lowballs players in free agency -why do you think we have sooo many people visit and not sign the last couple years (more than most GMs).

It's the same thing with the draft. He takes supposed "value" too far. That's why he is ending up with injury prone or flawed players that fall in the draft. 2013 they wanted Tavon Austin bad. Most teams would go out and get the guy they want. But no he had to get good value for him so they stayed put and as a result was taken to the cleaners by the Rams and Bills GMs in a trade. We ended up with Milliner - great "value" there for an injury prone player. Working out real well.

This past year they wanted to trade and get Marques Lee really bad. Not a bad idea after botching the Cooks/Pryor decision over Pryor's "value". This team had more than enough ammunition in the draft to trade up a handful of spots and grab him. But he couldn't get anything pulled off. I'm guessing it's because he couldn't pull the trigger on a trade unless he fleeces someone. That will give you the big middle finger from the league. Sometimes you got to put your balls on the line. While he is ho humming over "value" teams are grabbing players that would make this team better. And it's things like that we end up with 12 draft picks and half of them don't even stick their first year. injury prone or flawed.

14. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

OK so Idzik looked shell shocked during his presser. But so did Rex after the game. Whatever the machinations going on behind the scenes are it's pretty obvious both guys want to win badly.

#254 pclfan, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  15. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I came away thinking that it wouldn't be surprising if both stayed on after this year so long as the team plays hard and doesn't quit on Rex. It did appear that Rex and Idzik are on the same page with the re-build. It could all be BS to put up a front to prevent a fan revolt but I didn't get that feeling. I'm sure Rex, Marty and Idzik have discussed Geno in detail and the likelihood he's not the answer. They knew going into the season they were weak at corner, weak at receiver, and need better offensive linemen. I'm sure they didn't count on 1-7 but I bet they knew the playoffs were out of reach this year.

It still scary knowing Idzik is in charge of spending all the $$ they will have available in the off-season. He hasn't proven that he's capable of spending it wisely yet.

16. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

No one will ever convince me that not signing Revis was the right move. We could have had him and Richardson this season, and still have plenty of room under the cap. Instead I have to see a fucking WR chasing down Sammy Watkins while he's laughing at us. Completely Ridiculous. No doubt in my mind we're sitting at 4-4 right now despite every other problem, and you can be your life our defense would have more than 3 to's, and wouldn't be 0 for everything in the Red Zone. If we were going to have to overpay for somebody, he was the guy.

17. Jeremy2020

Jeremy2020 Active Member

"Idzik is doing fine, you cant judge his drafts yet"

Let's look at the team that just spanked the Jets up and down the field.

Buffalo players drafted in 2014 that have started/played significant roles:

Sammy Watkins (WR)
    Preston Brown (LB)
    Cyril Richardson (G)
    Seantrel Henderson (OT)

Buffalo Players drafted in 2013 that have started/played significant roles:

Robert Woods (WR)
    Kiko Alonso (LB)
    Marquise Goodwin (WR)
    Duke Williams (S)
    Chris Gragg (TE)

2014 Notable Signings/Trades:

Kyle Orton (QB)
    Chris Williams (G)
    Mike Williams (WR)
    Brandon Spikes (LB)
    Anthony Dixon (RB)

I'll skip 2013 Signing/Trades since the Jets were clearing cap space.

18. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I think they thought that with improvements from Geno plus the addition of Decker to go along with Kerley, Nelson, Cumberland, and Amaro that they would be solid pass catchers. But Nelson has regressed and Geno was up and down. They had bodies at corner and thought that one or two guys would've emerged plus Milliner. Same for the oline. But obviously things fell apart. Idzik tried putting together the best team possible while maintaining cap flexibility and not deviating from the rebuild. But all/most of the worst case scenarios have played out for the Jets.

19. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Not sure if posted--this thread is way too long.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/20...s_john_idziks_press_conference_monologue.html

A list of famous speeches shorter than Jets' John Idzik's press conference monologue

FLORHAM PARK — Before he took questions at his midseason State of the Jets press conference on Monday, general manager John Idzik spoke. And spoke and spoke and spoke. For all anyone knows, he still might be talking to somebody, somewhere.

The Jets are now 1-7, and The Great Empty Idzik Oration borrowed heavily from the standard NFL PR playbook of taking the all blame without offering up anything specific. Idzik's added touch was to bury everyone with an avalanche of words. Let's just say the dude's no Cicero.

According to a transcript provided by the team—here's hoping the intern who typed it up got Tuesday off—Idzik's opening monologue rambled on for 2,466 words. Many famous speeches in world history were much shorter. Here's a list, including word counts, though I'm sure I missed a few:

FDR's "First Inaugural Address": 1,875

Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream": 1,670

William Wilberforce's "Abolition Speech": 1,602

JFK's "Inaugural Address": 1,322

Theodore Roosevelt's "Strength and Decency": 1,242

Mahatma Gandhi's "Quit India": 1,091

Winston Churchill's "Blood Toil Tears and Sweat": 686

Ronald Reagan's "Space Shuttle Challenger Tragedy Address": 651

RFK's "Remarks on the Assassination of MLK": 637

Charles de Gaulle's "Appeal of 18 June": 360

Abraham Lincoln's "Gettysburg Address": 271

Idzik can at least take solace in knowing his speech wasn't as long as either Pericles's "Funeral Oration" (2,982 words) or Plato's "Apology" (12,328).

_

20. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Revis is not as great as he used to be. The injuries have caught up to him. But he is still a great player. He still has the mental edge over almost all receivers. Remember what he did to Brandon Marshall when he was with the Fins. Marshall had it all over him physically and talent wise but Revis was in total command. OK, he is worth the 12 mil he is being paid by the Patriots this season. And BB doesn't like to overpay defensive backs. In the past he's cut real good players when they were due to get a new deal. But the owner didn't want him back. Too much water under the bridge. That one wasn't Idzik's fault.