John Idzik Press Conference thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yup...That fucking schmuck is in the background pulling strings. Because of that, as much as Idzik's, and Rex's, statements may be heartfelt,

They're disingenuous in the end when Woody has an input into the structuring of this football team on the field, and is in the background doing shit his way

Woody Johnson is a clueless asshole.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

wtf are we "rebuilding", an amc pacer?

3. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

A team that was old and cap strapped and lacking talent.

4. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

The Belichick comparison doesn't make any sense anyway. Idzik called this press conference and wasted everyone's time. Belichick is mandated by the league to make himself available to the press after games etc.

5. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

If they were losers, they wouldn't.

6. Pavelboca

Pavelboca Active Member

Exactly. Which is what I am trying to say. They are sheep, and they say whatever is "trendy."

7. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I'm all for kicking JI to the curb. However, I'm quite curious as to what all the angry posters on here wanted him to say. Was he supposed to come out and say: "Fuck everyone and everything. This blows. Everyone is fired-- the coaches, the scouts, the ball boys, the players, and the janitors. I quit. If you follow me outside, you'll find me committing Seppuku. Thank you for your time. Good night." ?

Midlife Crysis likes this.
  8. keepthefaith1969

keepthefaith1969 New Member

I agree...PATIENCE is needed.

Right now, a key question to ask is whether or not our talent increased since last year. This is not to say that the talent has increased to where it needs to be, but has it increased:

Offense
    (a) WR's - Decker, Kerley, Harvin, Graham, Hakim - MUCH better than last year
    (b) RB's - same as last year (maybe a slight upgrade with CJ)
    (c) TE's - Amaro, Cumberland, Sudfeld (much better than last year)
    (d) QB - same but with better backup
    (e) OL - same, perhaps with decent backup - Oday is playing well, Dozier, Freeman etc.

Are these upgrades enough yet, NO, but the talent is clearly better in YEAR 2 of the rebuild...

Defense
    (a) DL - same - great unit
    (b) LB - virtually the same, although better depth this year
    (c) CB - based on players who were supposed to be here but are injured (Millner, McDougle) - about the same. Still, the CB was weak in 2013 and is weak again in 2014 - clearly needed to upgrade here but failed to do so
    (d) Safety - pretty much the same although Pryor does flash at time (and is not playing to his strengths).

Overall, not a great improvement on defense, although one can argue that there is more depth.

In short, I think Idzik has done average job of upgrading the talent; with some highs and lows. Interestingly, in two years, however, he has brought in the following GOOD TO EXCELLENT starters: (a) Ivory, (b) Richardson, (c) Amaro, (d) Decker, (e) Harvin; the following AVERAGE starters: (a) Millner (when healthy), (b) Oboushi, (c) Bohanon, (e) Pryor; and a few BACKUP or ROLE PLAYERS: (a) Dozier, (b) IK, (c) Reilly, (d) Freeman, (e) Winters

Idzik has been OK in player evaluation, but the jury is still out as it is only Year 1 and 1/2. He has not been the disaster that has been portrayed by so many. People are just so damned impatient and use the 45+ year thing to justify the frustration. Get over it and give this guy some time. Blowing this shit up will just set us back again...

Midlife Crysis and The 1985er like this.
  9. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

Obviously not, but being honest would have been reassuring. Trying to say he has the right coaches and players in place is insulting to everybody listening. He also totally de-emphasized the quarterback position, which is laughable for a team that hasn't had a reliable QB in decades.

10. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

YES. It's about accountability. You don't tell the fans after that national embarassment of a team implodes once again "we're so close to winning." Please. You tell the fans heads are going to roll. This is the worst franchise in football and Idzik acted like we're just 1-2 players from the Super Bowl. It's beyond embarrassing at this point.

chris5533 likes this.
  11. TwoHeadedMonster

So you want an honest press conference? Well, good luck with that. Maybe if we hire Ditka as GM.

12. TwoHeadedMonster

Not defending JI.
    At all.
    He's an idiot.

I just don't understand the expectation of honesty.

13. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

We sure could have used this Jonathan Martin the dude is making a key block on every fucking play...but yeah lets have Pryor...make me sick

14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

his name is Zach Martin and he was drafted before the Jets were on the clock. soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....................................

iJet and Murrell2878 like this.
  15. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I was hoping he'd say "I QUIT"

16. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I've been supporting him because I think he knows how to handle a budget and if you're going to complain about the players most of them are Rex's. Since he made many of the personnel decisions with Tannenbaum. Plus Idzik drafted D players first probably guys Rex asked him to select. But as bad as Idzik handled his presser and there's no excuse for it. In his position he's supposed to be able to co-exist with the press. But some of these attacks are personal and vicious. And claims made by bozos like MM are unsubstantiated. If he's getting leaks from within the organization (anti Idzik and pro Rex of course) how accurate is this info. Or is it just propaganda to cover Rex's ass.

17. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

Handling the budget and picking talent are intertwined. If he picked one of the 7 WRs who are rookies making an impact, you don't have to spend 10mm or whatever to rent out Harvin.

Salary cap management is just one part of the equation. He was so coy leading up to the draft with his 12 picks.

18. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Like he said at the presser. The talent is to spend your money but smartly. Not everyone can do that. The Harvin deal was a surprise pickup. No one expected him to be available. Chances are he wasn't available during the off season. It's something that came up quickly and he jumped at it. Because the price isn't prohibitive. No guarantted money which means they can cut him if he doesn't work out. It's a win win. If he does stay next season expect him to restructure his contact (or take a considerable pay cut). He did address the Wr position by signing the top FA Wr in Decker, whose a good player. Forget about being a number 1 or 2, he was the best guy out there. He drafted a few Wrs who haven't worked out. This you can grill him for. So far his draft record is looking terrible esp now that Geno is regressing. I think the guy needs more time. Rex got six seasons Idzik not even two and most of you want to fire him. But some of the stuff coming out on Idzik today esp from MM is pretty nasty and unwarranted. The guy is a jerkoff.

19. Superhippy

Superhippy Well-Known Member

So after getting around to watching the press conference today, i really don't see what everyone is bitching about. Here's essentially what he said.

- Everyone is extremely hurt and upset at 1-7.
    - The Jets Top 3 CB's heading into the season are not even playing right now. Basically tried to say that he addressed it but injuries and other circumstances destroyed what he did.
    - Said he left the cap space there to be flexible into the future.
    - Said the team has shown flashes of being really good at times, but is just wildly inconstant all around the board.
    - Said that Rex Ryan is a great coach because even though they are 1-7, nobody is quitting on him.
    - He pretty much singled out Geno as being awful, and rightfully so.
    - Said that he did not do a good enough job in the offseason.

Idzik obviously knows the Jets have fucked some things up in the last year, and that in itself is relieving to me. The worst situation you can be in, is one where the people in charge don't even know that they are fucking up. That being said I wouldn't be shocked if Idzik get's fired. Woody is a better owner then people give him credit for. When the team crashes and burns like this, changes are always made.

20. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I expected him to just say: This season has been terrible, all players and coaches will be evaluated in the offseason as we would do every season. We are still in a rebuilding process and this may take a bit of time, but with patience we will build a team that will be a contender for many years.

That's all that needed to be said rather than rambling on forever about nothing.