Mariota Must Be a Jet

Discussion in 'Draft' started by b.reyes16, Oct 27, 2014.

1. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Now I'm trolling? LOL.

We're going in circles so I will stop here.

2. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

Would love for this to happen... Time will tell

3. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I didnt watch much of Carr in college, and I just started really watching college football film.

He looks like a damn good player in the NFL though. I'm not sure who was telling you he was only throwing screens, but it certainly wasnt me. I wish he was a Jet.

And once again, I'm not saying Mariota cant be a good quarterback in the NFL. The guy is a physical specimen, so he has a shot. All I'm saying is that I havent seen it yet. I've asked people to bring up some games/plays that I can look at so I can learn more, but no one has. I would love nothing more than for him to be the Jets star QB. A lot of people on the forum dont get that. Many think that criticism of someone means you're a hater or a Geno supporter. I want the best player to be on the Jets. I'm not 100% sure that Mariota is that guy.

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

"Inability" to take snaps from center should never be the reason you not draft a QB as all possess the ability to do it even the most uncoordinated. How awkward and uncomfortable the prospect is at it, however, can give you pause; that's where footwork comes in.

Now the other "red flags" you bring up are very valid. You will find some tape of him going through his progression though not a lot. It's kind of hard for someone with sub 4.5 speed to see green grass in front on him and not eat it up. You are not going to find too much tape, if any, of him making "all the" throws including and especially the difficult ones as the offense he runs doesn't call for that. What you will see is that he has the arm strength and/or touch necessary to make them all.

5. jcass10

With the 1st pick in the draft, I'm not taking a guy if I'm not positive he can handle snapping the ball from under center. Later on in the draft in a project spot? Go for it. The Jets will be able to work him out and figure out whether or not he possessess that ability, which is nice.Hopefully he does. But if the GM/HC arent sure after all the workouts, than I'd steer clear.

Second paragraph, in the bold, I'm hoping I see it. I really havent yet. I'm going to keep a much closer eye on him, thats for sure.

6. legler82

This under center thing has taken a life of its own. Keep in mind that every QB whoever came out had perceived flaws. That negative section of the scouting report has never been blank. As comedian once said about Obama back when first ran for president (paraphrasing) "…when his pastor is the only thing they can dig up in his past to attack him with, then you know that black guy has a legitimate shot at being President". Similarly, if "..not positive he can handle snapping the ball from center" is the biggest negative that comes to mind when talking about a QB prospect, then I think we found ourself a QB.

7. jcass10

I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it. I'm saying if a QB cant snap the ball from under center I wouldnt take him. Not once have I said that he cannot do it. I said I havent seen it.

I hope he's the real deal, Jets need a reliable QB. I just havent seen enough to proclaim him the man yet. I still think Winston is a superior football player with more potential.

8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I like Mariota and Winston...

I also like Shane Carden...and I feel he could be a good fit for a west coast type system like MM...

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

They weren't fundamentals flaws like taking snaps under center. Going to disagree with that one 100%. Don't act like it's not an issue. Running games have been severely impacted by QBs that play primarily in the shotgun. Jets so happen to be a run first team.

10. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

Jackson is garbage and possibly traded or cut, Martin has been garbage pretty much forever (other than a few crazy games his rookie season that totally inflated his stats/compared to what he really produces on your avg game). Evans looks legit and ASJ looks good as well.

11. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

After that trade, it won't take nearly that much to get him especially since the Raiders will be looking to trade the pick if they get it.

12. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

It's crazy how pervasive this perceived flaw is being attacked. It's like trying to prove the negative, almost as if it's "well if he hasn't done it, he can't do it, I don't want him" lol.

These guys are sounding more and more like Bradway attacking Teddy, Bortles, Carr and Manziel last year.

I want this guy over any other player in the draft by a very long shot.

_

13. 101GangGreen101

The Redskins moved from 6th to 2nd and the Rams got a shit ton of picks. A trade like that is not that easy to pull. This isn't Madden.

14. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Every QB has flaws, every single one

Mariota however IMO is the best thing since Luck, he's gonna be a stud

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

When did I say it was easy to pull? I simply said moving up shouldn't be as difficult and that the Redskins trade works in our favor considering how it has worked out so far.

16. BigGreenUgly

BigGreenUgly Well-Known Member

Winston is a knucklehead....can we try to get an intelligent mature player at the most important position for once?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. JStokes

I agree, I don't want the kid, I just think it's silly to think he'll fall to round 2.

_

18. 101GangGreen101

So it's not easy, but it shouldn't be difficult? The Jets under any circumstance shouldn't even think of making that trade. As far as the Redskins-Rams trade is concerned, there is no clear cut winner from that trade still.

19. JStokes

Lol you are arguing with a Mariota hater. He's got bad footwork, he's got bad accuracy, he plays in a spread offense, he can't take snaps from center, he plays with superior talent, he'll probably ask his parents to beg out of NY lol.

Oh and yeah, that trade will be impossible, what do you think this is Madden?

If we're drafting 3-5, that trade up will be a snap. For a true franchise QB you give up whatever you can. Anything. In this instance it's not going to be that hard.

Get Mariota and put this position to bed for the next 15 years.

_

NYJetsO12 and b.reyes16 like this.
  20. legler82

I like everything about Carden except for his throwing mechanics and wind-up release; it's almost Phillip River-esque though not as so side arm. Like Rivers he pushes the ball. But for where I think he will be available he'd be a good value pick. He's a guy I would take in the mid-rounds if I have a vet I'm somewhat comfortable with.

Mogriffjr likes this.