Mariota Must Be a Jet

Discussion in 'Draft' started by b.reyes16, Oct 27, 2014.

1. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I agree with this for sure. Oregon has no loyalties to get Mariota NFL ready. But my question is, do you burn the number 1 overall pick on a guy without knowing if he can take a snap from under center?

abyzmul likes this.
  2. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I somewhat agree with this stance but for recruiting purposes, the success you have had at this position does matter when you try and pitch to big High School recruits. There are a lot of young kids who want to aim for the NFL and want to go to a place that have been a factory for churning out stellar NFL talent. Some players like to go to Alabama or Notre Dame not just because of team prestige and getting on national TV but because of the pro style systems they get exposed to and can get a taste of.

3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Seems like fans are more afraid of the thought of missing on another a high pick than they are of Mariota the prospect. So let's do the safe thing and trade down for a lesser prospect that way if he fails we can always say we didn't invest too much. That is some defeatist shit.

BigSnacks54 likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Just sucks because I have no faith in our FO / Scouting department to develop a QB - especially one as raw as Mariota. If we are ever going to get a franchise QB - that QB is going to have to be the fucking messiah and know how to improve by himself and his own resources.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

If you work him out and he looks like he has the aptitude and he could finally be your answer to Brady and Manning and Rogers and Big Ben and Luck and guys that have been beating the shit out of us for years, absolutely.

_

6. JStokes

That we've had flops and mishandling is self evident.

You're speculation that he might ask his parents or advisors to steer him away from those big bad awful meanies in NY or the NY Jets organization is baseless bogus made up speculation.

_

7. legler82

Please don't let Geno scare you into thinking that if you do not take snaps from center in college you will struggle with it in the pros. If you have good footwork with regards to your throwing mechanics and how you maneuver around in the pocket learning to take snaps from center is not a big deal. Geno's issue is not that he lacked experience in it (he played in a pro-style offense his sophomore season), it's that his footwork is horrendous. A prospect with good footwork will be able to master 3-5-7 step drops w/ or w/o play action fakes and/or hitches...etc fairly quickly. It's no different from someone with rhythm being able to catch on to a line dance a lot faster than someone w/o.

8. JStokes

Why the fuck didn't you say this like 100 posts again so I didn't have to waste my time with these defeatist fans afraid of shadows.

Fuck it, lets bring in Matt Moore.

_

9. jcass10

I'm not letting Geno scare me into anything. But come draft day, I'm not taking a guy with the number 1,2,3 pick if I question his ability to take a snap from under center. If he's there in the second round, sure, I'll take the risk.

That isnt my only partially red flag with Mariota. I havent seen him go through his progessions, and I havent seen him make all the throws. Admittadly, I havent watched as much film on him as I've liked. I plan on changing that soon, I've only watched the UCLA game and a game from last year, so my opinion can change. The website I go to hasnt put up the Michigan State game, which apparently is a great showing from him.

I watched him against UCLA and I wasnt blown away like some here are. I didnt see him make many difficult throws, and I saw him outlet to his RB's or take off when his first option wasnt open. And again, that isnt to say he cant do it. It just means in my evaluation, I haven't seen it yet.

10. JStokes

Horseshit.

What programs have recently turned out stellar NFL QBs? Notre Dame? LOL. Alabama? Hahahahaaa and I liked McCarron. USC?!?

Do you think Connor Cook went to MState because of the offense they run? Or Winston went to Fla St because of the offense they run?

_

11. JStokes

His offensive line is in shambles this year and he's had zero time to throw--he HAS to dump off or take off because that's his only option.

_

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Certain posters here think the reason some aren't sold on Mariota is solely because of his footwork and being able to take snaps under center. Those posters don't get the full picture at all which is pretty sad.

Sit Mariota down for a year, play Moore, and you got yourself a pretty good plan for Mariota and the future of the NYJs.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. legler82

You didn't know? This way everyone can feel all fuzzy inside and start threads like "No regrets with [insert scrub name here]". Conversely, a QB who is picked, let's say, top 5 would be an unmitigated disaster like you know who if he is not the next Rodgers.

14. jcass10

Agree about the OL, I should have mentioned that (I did somewhere earlier).

But I still question him in a pro style offense. Like I said, I'm not saying he cant do it, I'm saying I havent seen it.

15. JStokes

I can't wait till Bradway starts his "How Far Will Mariota Fall" Thread in January. And then he'll make up shit about how short Cook is and how dumb Petty is and that how Winston probably raped a cow too.

_

16. BakerMaker

I said players, not QBs. Some players want to go to pro style offenses, that's not horseshit. I said that teams benefit when a player has success on the pro level, especially if a QB. No team churns out consistent stud QBs.

17. JStokes

Btw, this was the same crap I heard about Carr last year, how all he did was throw screens from shotgun snaps.

The guy threw BOMBS downfield all last year and he's doing the same thing this year and I still can't believe we passed on him.

Good smart QBs with good fundamentals will figure it out, whatever it is. Mediocre dumb QBs with awful fundamentals won't.

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. BakerMaker

Everything in this draft forum is speculation. Just because someone watched a player do well in a few games doesn't necessarily mean it translates to the pro level. All I am saying is I don't blame any QB, not just Mariota if they don't want to be drafted by the Jets. I just said Mariota since he's most likely going to be the highest rated passer by this time(Speculation).

19. JStokes

Yeah, but folks are dinging the best QB prospect in college because of his offensive system.

You get the stud--the TRUE stud not some fake version--and you mold him. Good smart QBs with good fundamentals will figure it out, whatever it is. Mediocre dumb QBs with awful fundamentals won't.

_

20. JStokes

Again with the stupid bogus fake speculation.

Speculate all you want about how good or bad you think a player will be.

Stop trolling on the idiocy that he might not want to play for the Jets and the big bad NY mean people.

_