John Idzik Press Conference thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Oct 27, 2014.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I expect our GM to not sound like a fucktard. How's that for starters?

pclfan likes this.
  2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I would hold off on judging the 2014 draft class, seriously. The 2011 Seattle draft was considered one of the worst drafts also, but 3 years later it was considered a very good draft.

what if the 2 injured players come back healthy and are productive players for the next 5-6 years?

We have to give them a chance.

That would be 4 guys from this draft that stuck, not bad at all if you ask me.

The 1985er likes this.
  3. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

I thought they asked some decent questions.

Is geno smith th qb of the future.

Rex job security for rest of the season

Did you provide rex with enough talent.

Why is there 20 mill in un used cap space..

Evaluating his job performance and the fact in 2 drafts the jets have basically ended up with only 3 players that contribute.

I found it funny he dodged every question except for the ones geared towards how much he sucks... All those answeres were some variation of "well it's to early to tell, not how the nfl works., it's a process" This guy is every bit the loser I thought.

4. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

5. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

Francesa is really passionate about the jets, are we sure he isn't secretly a fan?

6. Red Menace

Geno will not be with the team next year

Rex will not be with the team next year

He probably won't tell you that Rex had a big part in drafting the players that are on the field

The 20 million will be used wisely, on FA but primarily to resign our best players,
    He mentioned that there are players on the jets that are on their first contract.

He actually said its on him, it all starts with the GM. So he did not dodge the question, he just did not go into details.

That what I got from his answers.

7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Where is he going? He's under contract through 2016 and should have no trade value. You don't go from starter to the streets or do you?

8. chris5533

He did generically claim it all starts with him, as far as geno goes he avoided the question, rex he avoided, as far as him alluding to the fact we will spend money wisely in the future, I have no faith in his personal decisions. I don't believe rex has much to do with drafting players.

I'll take away my hatred for Idzik for a moment and be fair... He was completely abused in the press confrence, and did not come across confident or assertive in what he was doing, he came across as a guy who was passively making excuses for his poor job performance thus far. I would have rathered him slam his hand on the table, man up and go down with the ship and show confidence in his long term plan. He didn't do that at all.

Seriously when is the last time you ever openly heard reporters laugh, orsay oh my god after he tried to answer a question? This job is way beyond him on every level.

9. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

The point is that 4 of his final 6 picks didn't even make the team and he whiffed on Saunders. From that standpoint his draft sucked for talent evaluation. He may have 4 players out of the draft but 3/4 coming from the 1st 3 rounds. What distinguishes good GM's / scouts isn't rounds 1-3.. its rounds 4-6 and there he did a terrible job regardless of what happens Quincy or IK.

10. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Just listening to the callers of Francesa's sports talk radio show just baffles me. They take the bait Francesa puts in the water to them and eat it right up. Its so easy for Francesa lol.

11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Sad how much hate is coming from the Jet fans today because when he was hired it was a "great hire!!" And "he's gonna be Seattle West!"

This press conference wasn't going to be much of substance...you guys want Izdik to throw everyone under the bus and say the talent he has is garbage. And IF he said such nonsense, that would hurt the Jets more into bringing more talent on board because you may never know if JI will "throw you under the bus."

Get over yourselves Jet fans...you can be upset at the job he's done but don't sit here and think for one second he was gonna say things the Monday morning QB Jet fans want him to say...yeah Geno SUCKS or or the skill positions offensively is garbage or CB position is crap...you just don't say things like that.

It's not a good time for the Jets but I still feel there's good pieces here. Of course getting a QB is priority #1, but Izdik needs time. Just last year Jet fans were applauding that he cleaned up the mess left behind from Tanny and a year later let's can the guy already? Give me a break.

BakerMaker and TonyMaC like this.
  12. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Idzik was with the Cardinals for the '04, '05 and '06 drafts. In '04 not one player past round 3 stuck for any length of time, no starters past round 3. In '05 not one player past round 2 stuck, in '06 they drafted Matt Leinart (nuff said there) and aside from Leonard Pope not one stuck, no starters.

Idzik's record speaks for itself as being poor at best. I doubt Rex had a big part in drafting the players on offense

13. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I don't know how it works with every team. But to me the head coach should make the decision on starting players including the Qb. It should not be a group decision like Idzik says.

FlaJet and legler82 like this.
  14. Red Menace

My bad, I did not realize his contract was for that long, is this part of the new CBA?

15. BakerMaker

Its not one guy making all these picks, Idzik is going off his trusted scout team and there are plenty of says during the war room. Guys are employed on this team to scout college games and team combines all year long. Idzik isn't alone in these draft picks, all he has is "Final Say" and that final say goes based off plenty of criteria. That ranges from character discussion to seeing if he's a fit for the offense/defense, to health/durability etc.

Now Idzik deserves flack for still employing these scouts(Though Bradway might be a Woody guy, no other way to explain why he's still in this organization), that I can agree with but it has only been one draft that I think he got his own guys(Heard Idzik stood with Mr.T's guys because they had the information and scouting reports already gathered up for the 2013 NFL Draft) in the mix.

16. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

Reading this article on NFL.com, it sounds like Idzik might actually keep Rex as his HC beyond this season, which I think would be a really smart move!

"...[Idzik] also gushed about the effort of head coach Rex Ryan, whom he said he sees more than his own wife.

... a general sense that the team really does think they are heading in the right direction despite what appears to be a simmering tire fire all around them.

Idzik will not commit to Rex Ryan as his head coach beyond this season despite delivering what seemed to be some genuine, heartfelt complements.

I support Rex, I continue to support Rex and our coaching staff."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...e-takeaways-from-john-idziks-press-conference

17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

i agree he is not the guy.
    but seriously, you cannot answer questions regarding offseason decisions when those guys still have half the season to play.
    it would be irresponsible.

don't lose sight on the media being an enemy. they are looking for headlines, and the snarkiness you heard was the result of not being given any easy ones. If Idzik made Rex's job difficult, why should he make the media's job easy?

18. Red Menace

The New York reporters are probably the most unprofessional and disrespectful as they come. Screw these reporters and their lust for blood, they would probably get better answers if they showed the guy some respect, when he tried to answer the question about the mirage of a qb competition the reporter kept on interrupting like it was some kind of middle school argument.

The reporters get no sympathy from me.

BacktoQueens and BakerMaker like this.
  19. chris5533

I will also agree they ofcourse they were trying to bait him.. I wanted to see some passion out of him, even if he said fuck you. Anything other than his generic cliche responses.

20. BakerMaker

The reporters see how gullible of a franchise we are from a fan perspective. People will continue to eat up anything the media sells them, they always have, they always will for this team. They are just making the quick buck and know talking about one of 3 or 4 hot topics on the team will garner the clicks.

Those beat writers won't stop until the fanbase smartens up, it will never happen.

The 1985er likes this.