Why would any respectable head coach candidate come to the Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Oct 12, 2014.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

From what I see of Milliner, he is A LOT better when the play develops in front of him. In press he too often loses track of his man and/or the ball; that's not the mark of a good press cover CB. This is why I think he would be better playing off man and zone. The best press man CBs (Revis, Sherman, Peterson, Hayden…etc.) are more than just excellent athletes, they have almost flawless and consistent technique and are students of the game. IMHO Milliner only has one of those 3 traits.

When I provide an opinion, it's strictly from what I see. I can just as easily search the web for articles that support my opinions. The same Bleacher Report web site you cite also said this about Dee Milliner's technique which you I believe you said was "quality" coming out.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ruggles-of-jets-1st-round-rookie-dee-milliner
    http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/dee-milliner?id=2540146

2. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I didnt ignore your post, I already responded to a similar post from the terrorist. So its like double jeopardy, cant use the same evidence/question again when I already explained it.

Well lets push for Gamble now. Gamble and Harbaugh? sounds alright.

3. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

First of all, I never said Milliner's technique was perfect. It was quality though. Just because a CB has quality technique coming into the pro's means it's going to be a flawless transition. Neither Revis nor Peterson were what they are now in their rookie year. Despite the high quality of Peterson's and Revis' technique coming out of college, neither had "almost flawless" technique as you put it, they developed it over a couple years. The same goes for being s student of the game. I myself quoted how Milliner's backpedaling was an issue, and I never said he was the perfect prospect, just a very good one. Besides, backpedaling is a skill that is used more in off man than press man, but you keep saying that is his strength. His scouting reports indicate that when he backpedals, he allows too much room in front of him and has done so since college, so what you're quoting doesn't back up your claims of being better at off man.

Also, in regards to the bleacher report article you posted, playing press man is not as simple as getting your hands on the receiver on every play. Sometimes you get your hands on the receiver, but sometimes the simple fact that you get in in his face and don't allow him a free release is the technique you should be playing. Dee having tremendous ability in press man coverage in college, and high potential in the pro's does not equate to immediate success, just ask Revis and Peterson.

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I didn't see a lot of Peterson his rookie year I just know as a collegiate Peterson was the way better player. I'll take your word for it that Peterson struggled in the same fashion as Milliner. However, as a Jets fan, I did get to see every single game Revis played in 07. I think every time Revis is brought up in relation to Milliner for any reason a disservice is being done to both players. Revis was miles ahead of Milliner in almost every facet of the game as a rookie. This doesn't mean Milliner won't end up with a better career that ends with a bust in the HOF but as rookies it's not even close. About the only real struggle Revis had as a rookie was getting his contract done. He got beat just like every CB does but there weren't technique issues, blown assignments, health concerns, losing the ball/man…etc. We can just agree to disagree with Milliner. You seem to think he is great in press but everything I've seen in college and so far in the pros says the opposite. That's the beauty of the game I guess; everyone can look at the same game film and see completely opposite things.

5. MaximusD163

The only thing I'll say about Revis' rookie year is that Hank Poteat was playing opposite him, so I don't think Revis was tested as much. Milliner's rookie year he was playing across from Cro, who had just come off an all-pro season. Cro sucked Milliner's rookie year, but QB's preferred to test Milliner than Cro.

6. Geno Da Meano_

Geno Da Meano_ Active Member

Take a look at the article below. It explains how Quinn can have Byron Maxwell thirds on one side while Sherman is playing man on the other and vice versa. Dee can play man to man but he plays a lot better in zone. Just look at the last game of the season last year and how Dee played against Miami.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/1/...d-sherman-earl-thomas-covering-peyton-manning

7. MaximusD163

I understand what you're saying but as it states in the article, Earl Thomas is the linchpin of this entire pass defense. We don't have a safety anything like Thomas, and there isn't going to be one available for us to take. Unless there's a top end FS available in the first round of this year's draft, we can't run this defense going into 2015. We'd need 2 new LB's as well. Assuming we could somehow lure both Malcolm Smith and KJ Wright here, we still need the all important FS.

8. BobbyGM8000

BobbyGM8000 Active Member

How do you know they would be better than Idzik? You're making shit up dude. Just because you hate Idzik doesn't mean somebody else would have fired Rex or made the team better than Idzik did.

slimjasi likes this.
  9. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Because the Jets thought they were better than Idzik. Idzik wasnt the top choice, get over it, thats a fact, not my opinion. Idzik was the only one willing to take the job under the circumstance that he would retain Rex Ryan, and again thats not my opinion, that a fact.

So keep trolling troll.

10. BobbyGM8000

Prove that he was forced to retain Rex Ryan then since you seem to know more than everybody else. How do you know he was forced to retain Rex? Call ESPN and tell them about this big conspiracy you seem to know about

11. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Do you live under a rock? I mean are you serious? are you really serious right now?

My god............

12. BobbyGM8000

Explain what the hell you are saying dude. I just wanna know why you think Idzik is here to destroy the team and that another GM would do better.

13. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

No, no you just said;

14. BobbyGM8000

And you asked if i was serious. Obviously if i asked you. How do you know he had to retain Rex? Better yet, why WOULDN't he retain Rex after going 8-8 last year with a team that wasn't that good?

15. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Well prove it then, like he said. I don't even give a fuck and don't have a horse in this race but you don't get to just say LOLLLLLL and act like that ends the argument. Post a link if it is so obvious. Stop being a douche. I know you do this solely for the attention but still. Do it or shut the fuck up

I'm sure it is easy right?

16. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

Didn't read the thread, but to answer the question in the title:

There are only 32 such positions available in the world. New York is also a money market.

You'll be unique and you'll be rich.

17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

C: gerbil.

#137 joe, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  18. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Damn this thread sucks.

Another point to prove why: A respected coach by the name of Tony Dungy could possibly be persuaded to come here BECAUSE of John Idzik.

Dungy worked with Idzik in Tampa. Here's a link, because I come with facts and stuff: http://thejetsblog.com/nyjets/quote-dungy-on-idziks-plan/

Edit: Not trying to say Dungy is coming here; just saying that he's an example of a respected coach that would not be dissuaded from coming here because of Idzik, which is your main argument it seems.

19. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Oh look another one of my hater terrorist troll's has arrived.

20. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Dungy??? Jesus NO!