Drafting A QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Oct 8, 2014.

1. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Still salty we didn't snag Mettenberger last year.

Chadchrebet likes this.
  2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Yeah but we got Jalen Saunders, Shaq Evans, Dakota Dozier and Jeremiah George before he went off the board, which makes it all better, right?

_

TNJet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. JETSrealMCCOY!

Yeah I'm not really high on Hundley either but it still would be a good college game to watch and Hundley is a quality prospect for the 2015 QB class.

4. JETSrealMCCOY!

If anything you get to see Mariota play a quality opponent.

HAYN likes this.
  5. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I agree, wasn't 2005 considered "weak" QB draft class?

Anyway

This season IMO is a wash. We need to give Geno the rest of the year to see if he can still salvage whatever chance he has of becoming a franchise guy. If he plays relatively decent you bring in a vet and draft a QB and have an open competition. If Geno plays like relative shit for the rest of the year then you move on completely. I say we sign a vet and let Geno be the backup and you still draft a QB. You solidify the offensive line, add some playmakers on offense. In the meantime the vet can hold the fort while you develop your rookie QB.

6. Sloup

Sloup Active Member

I agree with continuing to take lottery tickets at QB, but it shouldn't come at the cost of the rest of the team. Any quarterback the Jets start, be it Geno, Mariota, or Matt Simms is going to need better protection up front.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You're still interested in giving Geno more time, but you consider this year's QB class a wash?

What the fuck?

Edit: never mind, I went through the thread too quickly.

But this year is not a fucking wash for Geno. Not even close. He has shown close to nothing.

8. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

The thought of drafting another QB sickens me.
    This is how the Jets got into this predicament.
    As many pundits point out, if you fail at QB, it sets back the franchise three years.
    Right now it's looking 2020 before the ship ever gets righted.

9. The 1985er

This season is over. It's now about player evaluation. Maybe Geno can be salvageable. I'm personally not completely done with him yet.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Salvageable how? Brad Smith style? He is as one dimensional as it gets.

11. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Everyone in here saying picking a QB is a crapshoot. I disagree. We are in an age of advanced metrics moneyball type analysis. Every year the computer models get better. Players still fall through the cracks but it's been pretty spot on about qaurterbacks in recent years. Like freaky accurate.

Of course NFL teams don't follow any of this metrics shit, they still operate the same way they did 30 years ago, so yeah, while theoretically it should be far from a crapshoot, it still very much is.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I think part of the problem is that so much has to do with the players ability to maintain the competitive psyche, to not fold under the pressure of such an enormous fan base and microscopic media scrutiny. You live in a much smaller world in college. That is what's really so hard to predict.

13. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I don't think that's a legit argument. College football is bigger than the NFL in certain parts of the country. Part of being a successful QB at any level is blocking off the field scrutiny out.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. The 1985er

At this point I don't know. But if he can be average then that's a good thing. I kinda hope he pans out because Im dreading having to go through the process of drafting and developing another QB.

15. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I mean it's not the only part of it, but I think it's very real. The money has a lot to do with it too I think, and up and moving your life, plus you have to adapt to the real world... Getting drafted means major changes across the board for a 20 something year old. I'm pretty much in that right now, so if the disaster that is my life is any measure I'm sure it's more or less legitimate for football players.

16. 74

74 Well-Known Member

They don't have to adapt to the real world. These guys go straight to a world class training facility where they spend all their waking hours. In their off time they hang out with groupies and do whatever the fuck they want without worrying how much it costs. The real world is not knowing how you're gonna be able to pay your rent this month.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

this is why I say that with good coaching, a proficient QB can take you to a Super Bowl. But he must have superior talent and protection around him. It may be a lot easier to build that than to find a needle in a haystack.

18. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

Why not both. I'm in favor of bringing in Cousins, keeping Geno, and drafting Bryce Petty/ Connor Cook. Let all three compete, may the best man win.

19. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Hundley reminds me or a more athletic Ken O'Brien, the guy can run and has a big arm but he has no pocket awareness and holds the ball way too long. They're almost identical height and Hundley weighs a few pounds more but they play similar with the exception that Hundley can move.

20. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I think you are right, no one looks at Russell Wilson as an elite QB, sure he can play great at times but he is more a game manager at this stage. He's helped out by a great defense and a great run game.

In this day if you don't have an elite QB you need one who doesn't make mistakes, honestly if the Browns decide to go with Manziel as their QB i'd be in favor of going after Hoyer. The guy has some game and doesn't throw a lot of INTS. Not that I think it's a big deal but he was Brady's understudy for a few years and the Pats were very high on him.

TNJet and NYJetsO12 like this.