Is It Time to Bench Geno for Vick?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Sep 22, 2014.

1. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Geno has to staple this stat to his locker all week,"4-0 when I don't throw a INT"

2. dgiven91

dgiven91 Active Member

If the Jets defense could catch Cutler would have had three interceptions too. And he should have had a fumble returned for a touchdown. Andrew Luck threw what amounted to the game losing interception against the Eagles. Peyton Manning threw an interception in scoring position against the Seahawks. You guys are acting like Geno is the only quarterback to make mistakes. He has had some incredible moments this year. You can't declare him a failure after week three, especially when he might be two and one if not for a complete defensive collapse and officiating taking away a touchdown

Br4d and brothermoose like this.
  3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

All QB's make mistakes. All the QB's you've mentioned have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt they belong in the NFL and are well established as much better than Geno Smith.

What has Geno proven? Why compare him to those guys? The comparison begins and ends at the mistakes. Guess who else played QB in the NFL and made mistakes? Ryan Leaf, JaMarcuss Russell, Tim Tebow, Kellen Clemens and Mark Sanchez. Did I play right?

I'd be happy to compare him to Matt Schaub.

#203 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  4. dgiven91

dgiven91 Active Member

And how many of those proven quarterbacks came into the league and starting lighting it up immediately with no learning curve? Not to mention the fact that Geno has one of the worst supporting casts in the NFL. His best receiver didn't play the second half of the Bears game, and I've seen frequently on here that Kerley is just a good possession slot guy that won't take over a game. On Monday his best real weapon was Ivory, and the coaches stopped running the ball. There's only so much Geno can do.
    The problem with you guys is that you just assume all of your problems fall on the quarterback. Maybe he's making some of the mistakes he's making because other players are making mistakes. Not all of them, but some could be. The interception against Green Bay stands out. Obviously some are very much on him (the two interceptions against Chicago were indefensible) but he's in week three of year two. And he's been moving the offense very well. The problem is the play calling goes to shit in the redzone. If the coaches can fix that problem, the Jets have a legitimate chance of making the playoffs.
    But regardless of what happens this season, they need to get another receiver in the offseason, whether it's a free agent or a first round pick. Your number two outside receiver can't be David Nelson if you expect to contend for a Super Bowl.

5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Vick was a pro Bowl Qb is that better? So far what has happened in pre-season has followed in-season Geno can not get this team in the end-zone lets see if Vick can like he did in the preseason.

I am not a huge Vick fan but he has a skill set is a Vet a former pro bowler and has thrived in MM system. Let the young QB sit and the let the Vet take us to the playoffs if not put Geno back in.

Why is that so hard are we going to wait until the season is over because with the upcoming schedule it does not get any easier. We should beat Detroit we are a better team. Chargers, Broncos, Pats not so much. We lose this weekend we are staring 1-6 right in the face.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Josh Freeman was a pro bowl QB, why not sign him up?

Pro Bowl is meaningless, especially since they count it for someone after they replace somebody for the trip to Hawaii.

7. BakerMaker

Given the talent on the offense and our mindnumbing playcalling at times, if you have Geno game manage and not take any chances, this offense isn't going to move and he/the offense will get booed for sustaining 3 and out after 3 and out.

Its fine to question if Geno is the long term answer at QB but because of the weapons on the team and the playcalling that goes out of its way to make it tougher on 3rd down to convert, this offense here in 2014 needs a gunslinger/risk taker. Not a game manager, someone who can throw at teams at will.

8. BakerMaker

I think people grow tiresome and impatient for Geno because of past QB follies. Unfortunate for Geno and not necessarily fair but I get why the fans get so panicky when a QB doesn't light up the world when they arrive in the league given how the QB play before Geno has been lackluster at best.

9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

you act like Sporano is our OC. MM is the best OC we have had in NY in years.

10. BakerMaker

That's not saying a whole lot. Marty's better than the last 4 OCs we had but Hackett/Heimerdinger/Schotty/Sparano were just that bad, its not Marty being that good(Heimerdinger is the only one to get a pass because the Oline was laughable that season).

He had a good season last year due to circumstances and he called some very good games but the red zone ineptitude he constantly has is head bashing. I don't think it is ever going to go away. One can chalk it up to the QB and offensive pieces but this has been a pet peeve of his dating long before his Jet days.

11. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

No people get frustrated at the type of mistakes Geno continues to make, game in an game out. This gas nothing to do with the QB who preceded Geno. The 6 pick 6's he has thrown in his first 19 games, turnovers in the red zone, sacks he has taken instead of throwing it away are the reason fans are questioning if he is the guy.

Geno is now in a game by game evaluation if I'm Rex. Because Rex is in a game by game evaluation as well. Make no mistake, the next 4 games will make or break our year. We need to at least split the so we are 3-4 heading home for the Bills. We could be 5-4 heading into the bye after buffalo and KC. But it starts now and if Geno continues that erratic and destructive game play, I'd rather see #1 behind center.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Realistically a split of the next four is unlikely. Not sure how that factors into the Vick v. Smith analysis. I think the Jets might win one, but can see them losing four straight, which would be six straight.

It's too bad because the front seven on D has played well, the OL other than Winters looks good, Ivory is a beast, but the holes on the team are proving those skeptical in the off season right about how this is not a playoff team with Smith at Qb. It might not be one with Vick, either, at this point.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. BakerMaker

I see a kid trying to do way too much which is where the pick six's happen. I agree there are bad tendencies that he still keeps doing but you have to take chances and be aggressive for this type of offense. You can't just game manager and throw below 20 times, its not in Marty's DNA. Games like the Saints game last year was the only time to push the run because the Saints could not stop the run if their life depended on it.

The playcalling is brutal in the red zone where it makes the margin of error slim to none. We overthink ourselves inside the red zone and get too damn cute. They have this fetish for having Geno try a QB draw inside the 5 when we have someone like Ivory who is a physical back who carries guys. We got bigger with Amaro and Decker, why not attempt a fade 1 on 1 with a CB knowing the league we are in today puts the emphasis that a CB can't hold or interfere? Nelson is on this team because of size, lets use his size and not act like he's this finesse WR who excels at comeback passes or short dumpoffs. Sacks he has taken instead of throwing it away are not all on Geno, blame guys who can't get separation consistently when defenses throw 1-2 extra guys back. Kerley with Decker hurt for 2 of the 3 games draws the top CB on each team so it requires the others to step up and we haven't seen that yet.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Horse crap MM is very good. You can't have it both ways Geno has looked adequate between the 20's because of the play calling. The ineptitude in the red zone is squarely on Geno's shoulders. Red Zone is about making throws in tight windows Geno just cant do that.

74 likes this.
  15. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Huh?:eek:

16. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Hold on Timeout here....er ...wait my bad. A good OC has Ivory in there running with CJ on the bench the whole 2nd half.

17. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Please tell me about Geno's incredible moments this year because I can't remember

18. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a lot better, mainly because it's accurate and totally changes the merits of your argument. You disingenuously implied that we have a sure-fire pro-bowler sitting on the bench. We don't. We have a guy who was a pro-bowler 4 years ago, and since, has been plagued by turnovers and injuries. Big difference.

19. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

This is a fair argument (although summarily claiming that we are a better team than Detroit might be a bit unfair . . . I think we are probably closely matched teams) and I have no problem with people wanting to see Vick. I just think it's a bit early for that. I give Geno at least the first half of the Lions game.

20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Defensively we are very similar in that both teams possess a talent-laden D-line, average LBs and suspect secondary, but on offense it's no contest. How are we "closely matched"?