Is It Time to Bench Geno for Vick?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Sep 22, 2014.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

is there any doubt this is going to be a multi turnover game for geno? I mean cmon.

74 likes this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The FANS need to win now. Felt better when Smith ran with the ball, his passing ranges from 30-50 % completion. I have more faith in Vick. Put him and his experience to work. Smith throwing picks will undue what I hoped, 10-6.

3. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Well the problem is Vick WILL get hurt, so we'll probably have to go to Geno anyways.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

through 3 games he is at 63% with his low game being 50%

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

well the lions are averaging 1 takeaway a game so its not like we are facing the bears again and their 2.5 takeaways a game.

6. NYJetsO12

I like Geno too. Especially when he completes a pass. Other than that, what's there to love? My wife loves Nick Foles (she is from Philly) but it is also because he takes hard hits, keeps his composer, and manages a good game.

7. NYJetsO12

Tell Jimmie Garappolo the Greek food in NY is better than Mass lol.

8. mikey

mikey Active Member

/endthread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. NYJetsO12

Disagree. We can be more above average with better QB and Ivory poundings.

10. Big Derty

Big Derty Active Member

Thank you. What a ridiculous over reaction all this bench Geno shit is. He is in his second season! He will have growing pains. If they put Vick in without a Geno injury I'm done for this season with this team. He needs all the development he can get and the way he gets it is by starting each and every game he is healthy enough to play in.

If anyone says they dont see a difference with him this season from last year then I dont know what games you are watching. On the whole, he looks so much more poised and confident and that is attributed to a productive hard working off season. It doesnt happen overnight. Peyton played like dog shit more than once in his first couple years and they stuck with him....I cant rationalize this point enough and the more I write the more I realize its moot....

That said, if they mess up a good thing in Geno by benching him for Vick I will be done for this season. Vick is the best backup/mentor in the league right now. We should be thrilled and know that he can ride this out for three or four years in that role.

NYJETS4life24 likes this.
  11. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

Hell no. Geno is the now and he is the future. You guys act like he has played terrible. If you can't see the improvements that he's made then I don't know what to say.

Give it time we will win some games. We are close. Decker needs to stay healthy and we need to get back to running the ball. Ivory needs to touch the ball 15+ times a game.

Refs need to start callin a fair game because the last two games were ridiculous

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets need to ride or die with Geno Smith. If things go more south then you will know he's not the guy.

13. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

If you think Geno was terrible last night you need to watch the game again. I just did, and he wasn't.
    This fan base is comical. Yes ... The pick 6 was atrocious ... But after that, he played well enough for us to win the game and there was plenty of blame to go around for the loss. If you don't think so, like I said --- watch the game again.

For the record ... After the pick 6 he completed 11 of his next 13 passes in the first half and had the most yardage for a Jet QB in the first half of a game in eight years. If the Cutler fumble was called correctly, we would have gone into the locker room with the lead. In the 2nd half he moved the ball easily down the field but we stalled in the Red Zone. Blame who you want for that, but if you think Geno can't play you're wrong.

The game came down to us being able to gain 5 yards on 3rd and 4th down from the Bear 10 and we couldn't do it. Personally I would have run the ball at least once in that spot. The other team made the plays they needed to make. It doesn't mean our QB is terrible. Stop overreacting. He's going to be fine ... He still needs more time to develop.

#173 truthbtold, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    The 1985er likes this.
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

A couple of things on this:

1. If Geno continues to make mistakes then yes of course the Jets should bench him, at least for a half or a start to let him get reset ready to go again. That doesn't mean that they should do this if they're winning despite the mistakes but if they're losing because of the mistakes they should sit him for a bit and let him think about what is not working.

2. The Jets got Michael Vick to play if Geno wasn't getting the job done. If we get to that point where the Jets are 1-3 or 1-4 and Geno is not getting the job done then they absolutely should turn to the option they brought in just for that eventuality.

2a. Even if the Jets turn to Vick the odds are good that Geno will be back in at some point this year. Vick hasn't been fully healthy for years now and he's 34 years old.

All of the above should not be taken as an indication that I think Geno should be benched at this point. I think if he continues to make crucial mistakes it will make sense to give him a timeout to reset. If Vick happens to play very well and takes the job for now, well he's 34 years old and Geno is 24 and it doesn't mean Geno won't be back as the starting QB at some point.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Does that change the fact that geno is alarmingly reckless with zero regard for protecting the football and doesn't think twice about throwing it up for grabs in the middle of the field when pressured? Geno will give the Lions plenty of opportunities, I have no doubt.

If geno is our future we might want to invest in a DeLorean.

We're not even 4 games into the season. stats like that are essentially meaningless.

16. 74

74 Well-Known Member

He was going against a Bears secondary that was down to its 3rd stringers. And we could only get into the endzone one time. It was pathetic. We can't punch it in because that what happens with bad passing QB's; they struggle in the condensed redzone.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. People are so accepting of this shit play from the QB position.

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't understand how any jet fan can watch geno play the way he does and not be at least a little angry. have we really been so conditioned to accept poor qb play that what we've been watching is considered OK? NFL QBs need to be very good decision makers.

18. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone is saying that Geno's bad decision making is acceptable. Speaking for myself it's maddening at times. But I can tolerate it for now because he's a young developing QB. These are the things that you have to deal with at times. Now if this is year 4 or 5 then that's different. But for the most part Geno does make good decisions. He just has lapses where he does stupid shit but that can be corrected.

FJF likes this.
  19. Animosity

Animosity Member

Rex Ryan will look like an idiot when he turns to 34 year old Vick soon. He should have named Vick the starter at the beginning of the season. When Vick eventually gets hurt, then Geno plays. I always thought it would be much easier to go from Vick to Geno than Genoa to Vick.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I disagree that for the most part he makes good decisions. I think he makes far more poor, indefensible decisions than an NFL QB with 20 games under his belt should.

At this point I expect him to make poor decisions and be reckless with the football.

#180 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014