Geno's accuracy is his one element that may already be elite.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Superhippy, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Ok, so we can put the accuracy claims away.

That said, Geno can still move the Jets well, he just is sucking lemons in the red zone so far this season. This is a really tough choice to make at this point. The Jets do not have the pass protection to put him in a bubble at this point. There are leaks on the left side that keep forcing Geno's hand up the middle. Geno is also not good at making a fast decision when he's pressured up the middle. If somebody looks open he stands in and makes the throw and takes the hit but if the field is a mess he still retreats and gives up really bad sacks.

Given the state of the receivers at the moment the Jets probably need to start moving the pocket on every other play to give Geno some options and let his receivers work back towards him when he gets in trouble. They probably need to go more read option as they were before Geno dinged his ankle during the game. They probably need to be running the ball more, which means getting Powell some more carries.

jdon likes this.
  2. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

His accuracy is fine, overall. He has to eliminate the boneheaded decisions.

DMSMaven likes this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

His accuracy is not fine overall. It's not even average at this point. He threw crappy pass after crappy pass in the second half and had his receivers diving and over-extending all over the place in the process.

4. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

His accuracy is fine?

Go re watch the film and report back here with an opinion.

The last drive of the game, he threw a ball directly to the defensive player. Luckily he dropped it, but it was a pass right in the chest to the defensive player. That's accuracy?

5. slimjasi

No, that was a bad decision . . . not really a lack of accuracy. Most picks have nothing to do with accuracy, but rather, decision making.

6. Falco21

No it wasn't. He was throwing to his receiver behind but was highly innacurate and threw the ball short.

7. slimjasi

There wasn't a good lane for that pass. He shouldn't have thrown it there. He should have thrown it away. Again . . . decision making.

8. Falco21

Bullshit man. He severely underthrew his target and should have thrown an interception.

In your definition, every bad throw is a bad decision lol

A severely underthrown ball straight to a defender is a bad decision?

9. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Exactly if Geno fails here it'll be because of his decision making. That's mainly him trying to make something out of nothing trying to make hero plays. If nothing is there throw it away. His dumb decisions cost us points. But overall I think his accuracy isn't terrible.

10. Falco21

Let me guess, the screen pass interception wasn't innacurate either right? LOL

11. slimjasi

I didn't really give any "definition," I just stated an opinion that most of Geno's problems are related to poor decision making rather than poor accuracy, and then proceeded to write about a specific example. I'll say it again, in my opinion, most interceptions are a result of poor decision making, not poor accuracy. Overall, Geno's accuracy is fine. This season, Geno has hit the vast majority of hiss open receivers and has completed most of his intended passes (currently 63%). I don't see inaccuracy as an overall weakness in Geno's game.

12. slimjasi

It was inaccurate, but once again, more than anything, it was a bad decision. The ball shouldn't have been thrown. That play was going nowhere. He should have thrown it in the dirt.

The 1985er likes this.
  13. Falco21

So in your opinion, this is not an inaccurate pass?

[​IMG]

14. The 1985er

Poor decision. The play was blown up yet he still attempted to throw the ball.

15. Falco21

You just said it. It was an inaccurate pass.

16. Falco21

Whether the play was blown up or not, he threw the ball way too far right resulting in a perfect interception giving Johnson no chance what-so-ever to attempt to break it up.

17. The 1985er

He shouldn't have thrown that ball at all. That play isn't an indictment on his accuracy. It's an indictment on his decision making at times.

18. Falco21

It's an indictment on both.

He should have never thrown that ball but he did and it was severely inaccurate. If he threw it somewhere where Johnson could put a hand on it, then fine, it was just a bad decision, but he threw that ball a yard away from Johnson lol he completely missed the throw resulting in a pick 6

19. The 1985er

There is nothing positive that could've came out of him throwing that pass. The pass shouldn't have been thrown. It's a poor decision and if he doesn't tighten that up that'll be his downfall here.

20. slimjasi

I explicitly wrote that it was inaccurate:

"It was inaccurate, but once again, more than anything, it was a bad decision. The ball shouldn't have been thrown. That play was going nowhere. He should have thrown it in the dirt."

What is there to not understand about what I wrote? In my opinion, Geno's biggest issue, by far, is poor decision making.