2014 Week 2- New York Jets @ Green Bay Packers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Sep 7, 2014.

1. ArodtoJennings

ArodtoJennings Active Member

Trust me I am scared of this game myself.

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Here, I am seeking an honest and sincere answer from anyone with sufficient knowledge of Packers.

My question is simple.

What are their staple plays? What are their trademark plays on down and distances?

To give you a few categories:

1. 1st and 10 - the plays they call here are the most important, if I have to add.

From here on:

2. 2nd and 5 or shorter
    3. 3rd and 2 or shorter.

and:

4. 2nd and 6 or longer
    5. 3rd and 4 or longer

And lastly:

1st and 15+

========================================================

I am asking this, because I can't think of a single play that defines Packers WCO. Walsh would always preach that, you must win the battle at 1st and 10. This is simply because you can convert 3rd and long only so many times. 3rd and long is usually a product of either poor 2nd down play or good production on 2nd down consumed in compensation; thus it all boils down to how you perform during your 1st down plays.

Thus, for any efficient WCO, you must have at least 4 to 5 staple "bread-and-butter" plays you can call at any moment without a repercussion. Walsh sure had his bag of tricks when he was coaching 49ers with Joe, and plenty other successful WCOs had their version of staple plays. How about this Green Bay WCO?

3. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

They run a couple of very effective passes around the LoS to Cobb, because of his elusive nature, and quick slants. Their true bread and butter is the back shoulder throw to Jordy Nelson, which they nail almost every time. Their timing on that pass is exquisite, and I've seen them go back to it a lot when it's hitting in a game.

NYJetsO12 and NYJalltheway like this.
  4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

How about the 'down and distances' of them? When do they call these?

5. MaximusD163

I'm not that much of an expert but they like the Cobb passes on downs like 2nd and 5 and I've seen them throw that back shoulder to Jordy Nelson on pretty much any down and distance though more on 1st and 10 I believe. It's generally not a big gainer but because it's so effective it causes DB's to bite on pump fakes. It's damn near impossible to defend when the timing is as good as theirs is.

They like to run bootlegs and rollouts a lot once they get going because Rodgers is so mobile and accurate on the move. The good news is if we can stop the run without stacking the box we won't be super susceptible to those rollouts for big gainers.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

It's gonna be really tough to win there. Rodgers is 28-2 in his last 30 games at home I believe.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. MaximusD163

No doubt about that. I do really hope we have Dee back by the time we head up there. If Dee is there and plays like I think he can, it's going to take a lot away from what they like to do with Nelson. It will also make me more comfortable with putting Allen on Cobb; since Cobb catches a lot of short passes and screens I want someone like Allen who is a very solid tackler to cover him. The nature of this game will give Pryor an opportunity to shine as well, both with some big hits over the middle and hopefully some interception opportunities. Their offensive line is actually weaker than Oakland's so our defensive line might put on a show. If people actually watch this game around the league I wouldn't be surprised to hear many talk about what great chess game it was between our line and Rodgers.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Yep. Very impressive, indeed.

9. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I will say though, Rex's teams have been good as big underdogs on the road. At least, against the spread, anyway.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

And I actually beg to differ, people keep comparing us to Seattle but I think this Jets team is a near replication of the 49ers of recent years. Good front 7, trouble in the secondary, a QB that can make passes but also makes mistakes, and a solid run game. It kinda sucks that we are playing the Packers in September rather than December becuase obviously the cold weather would benefit us more offensively.

Geno and the Jets have to get over this mental hurdle of playing on the road, we got blown out in Baltimore, Buffalo, Cincinatti, late in the season in meaningful games last year. I believe we will win this game 28-24. Rodgers is going to have to be really ontop of his game if the Packers are to win. I think that will be difficult because he is going to get hit, he is soft and does tend to play as good in the face of good defensive lines (pretty much all QBs do worse against the Dlines).

11. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Win the turnover a battle and we stand a chance. Fall behind and it could end semi quickly. Rodgers is amazing.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. MaximusD163

Watching all of those missed tackles vs the Seahawks does make my mouth water though. I can see Ivory and Johnson doing some damage.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

I'm more interested in the type of game than the result. I know there are no moral victories, but losing to the Packers on the road isn't a terrible thing...........unless of course it looks like how the Giants lost to Detroit the other night. There is such a thing as a quality loss.........and if they don't win that's what I want to see. i.e a loss where you just get beaten, but play a good solid game and give them a run until the 4th quarter, keep the fans nervous. I want to see Geno progress again and not repeat those road blowout performances from last year. If Rodgers makes plays I want to see him running for his life to complete them.......beat the spread of course which is an insult right now.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

last time they played green bay there offense couldnt move the ball at all

i have faith rex ryan can dial up pressure on rodgers and keep this close

15. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Lacy not practicing today.

16. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Him playing doesnt even bother me lol. Our d-line stops anything moving.

17. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

We should be able to dominate the trenches on both sides of the ball. If we do that and run run run eat that clock we'll be fine. Keep Rodgers off the field as long as possible. We cannot afford Geno to turn that ball over. That will be key. If we can get a turnover free Geno Smith game i dont see how we lose. Unless Rodgers is just ripping our secondary to pieces every time he does get on field

18. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what the point spread for this game is?

19. JetNotts

JetNotts Member

9 last i checked

20. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

Off topic but I completely blanked on when the last time we played Arizona was. The last time I recall was when Favra was still on the team and we destroyed them. That couldn't have been true and I saw it was in 2012 we won 7-6. I don't even remember that game. Must have completely blocked the Jets from my mind and was completely focused on school.