Top 5 defense my arse

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Definitely better tonight and I am glad to say this as a true suffering fan. But this was against Eli (horrible) and new offensive scheme-

Although, 35 points allowed is probably not top 5 territory.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. 1st team D looked great till that 2 minute drill. If Wilson keeps his balance we shut them out in 1st half. Gotta think that in a regular season situation Rex would e blitzing which he didn't. Also..a guy we signed off the street a week ago gave up that TD.

As for the 35 points..keep in mind that was the 2nd & 3rd stringers. Those guys gave up a mere 16 yds in entire 2nd half to Colts & shut out the Bengals in 2nd half;They were bound to give up some points..especially w/ the injuries at corner. Not alot of depth w/ all the fallen soldiers right now.

3. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

they did not excactly stop the giants from running either, despite the giants using a scrubs offensive line.
    once again, they made an obscure giants draft pick/free agent wide receiver look like an all-pro. ugh!

KWJetsFan likes this.
  4. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

the bengals starters slaughtered our defense, and the giants are not in the same elevated status as the bengals right now, in terms of roster strength.

5. I guess that's one way of looking at it..an extremely negative way...but ok..I guess being down 5 corners against a high quality passing attack is just a lousy excuse?

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

If Rex is the best defensive mind in the game today he should be able to slow down the Bears tonight, right?

7. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

yea he should

8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

depends. is Rex covering Marshall?

9. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

How about now?

Cman68 and bandwagon like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes you are if you can't see the problems with Rex as a HC. It's amazing how blind some fans can be.

11. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

I'm very aware of the problems with Rex as a head coach. I clearly made that post when people were reacting to 1 quarter of a preseason game. I like to wait and gather more information before I make a decision - I'm smart like that. And after 9 games into the season, combined with the previous seasons its clear a coaching change is needed.

12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Yeah his defense is predicated on a good secondary or elite one...

because despite him having one of the top front 3-4 guys in the NFL, they still can't stop anyone.

And since he teaches an aggressive man to man type defense, these guys simply have no idea how to play in a zone based defense nor do they have the personnel to do EITHER. When the corners are so bad and coming off the street, you can't blitz like you want because your corners are playing not to get beat deep. Then you resort to playing passive on defense. Right now it's not a good mix.

13. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

It remains to be seen what Johnson will do this off season, but as of now I do not think it a clear case where Johnson will want to fire Ryan.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That surprises me, but I'm glad to hear it. Based on your recent responses, you seem to have been indicating that you thought those who thought Rex should be fired were foolish, and that you wanted him retained. I'm glad to be corrected. Cheers!