Top 5 defense, for sure

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Barcs, Aug 20, 2014.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Unfortunately.

2. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I would put the Panthers and Seahawks at 1 and 2. The Cardinals at number 3, the 49ers may have dropped a little but I think they are still top 5 worth.

That leaves a spot for one more team, the Bengals still appear good, the Texans should be solid again (especially if they have an offense to keep the defense off the field).

Yeah im sorry Rex, not going to be top 5 imo =/

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Again...

_

4. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Joking right? Dockett out for the year with ACL The honey badger should be out more months with a ICL ACL injury but he is rushing himself back and Washington(ILB) out for the year with a drug abuse suspension. They will fall to 10 or higher easily

5. JStokes

My two least favorite qualifiers are "this is probably none of my business" (yeah, it's not a-hole) and "don't take this the wrong way" (how else am I to take your a-hole criticism?).

_

6. JStokes

Yeah Dockett's loss is huge, but I heard yesterday that the Honey Badger should be good for game 1.

_

7. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

He says he's good. But honestly we willl have to see how he holds up I've heard he needs more alloted time to even feel comfortable applying pressure on a injury like that

8. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Dude I was just doing a quick anaylsis, they still should finish top 10, and honestly the Jets defense wont be top 5. Even if the Cardinals arent top 5, you have the Panthers, Seahawks, Bengals, Texans, 49ers. And who is to say another good defense emerges? the Rams might have something going, the Saints were a top 5 last year.

I think in some aspects the Jets defense is better but I am not sure it is top 5.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Texans won't have a better defense. Their secondary is just as questionable as ours. Sure they have Clowney and Watt - but that's pretty much it. Cushing would be their 3rd best player and his often injured and juiced up.

I don't think the Jets will be in the top 5, it's possible though.

10. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Well our cornerback play was poor last year. Cromartie was no good and the 2nd guy (whoever was out there) was not much better. If Milliner can be legit, then it would be an improvement. Hopefully Pryor can play well to.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yeah we need Milliner healthy out there if we want to contend. Milliner, Pryor and Allen - if these 3 can make plays in the secondary, our secondary will be better than the Texans easily.

To me, at the end of the day, I care more about generating turnovers then ranks to be honest. I wouldn't mind our defense giving up a shit-ton of yards as long as we limit the touchdowns and get turnovers.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  12. max

max Active Member

I'd hate to think it, but anybody think the pats could be close to top 5?

13. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

True, the Jets had the lowest amount of fumble recoveries in NFL history last season.

14. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Not top 5, but top 15 which would be a huge improvement. I think most of all though, they couldnt stop a nosebleed for the last couple of years, with Wilfork back, Revis and Browner, they might be able to stop the nosebleed finally which could put them over the top.

I think the Patriots will be returning to Arizona for the Super Bowl unfortunately, fortunately they will lose again.

15. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

So much is going to depend on Mayo and to a lesser extent Wilfork and how they recover from their injuries.

The Pats' secondary will be good but it was very good last year. People are hyping the Revis pick up and while it was a great pickup as he's one of the best defensive players in the game, it doesn't improve their secondary that much compared to last year. Talib was one of the best corners in the game last year and absolutely shut down Jimmy Graham, something I've never seen someone do. McCourty is a criminally underrated safety but the Pats issues on defense last year was their run defense and ability to defend TE's IMO, things the Jets exploited in the second game with Mayo and Wilfork out. Spikes was a big part of that run defense last year and losing him will hurt. But without Mayo the middle of their defense was a sieve.

Revis alone doesn't vault them into a top 5 D. If Mayo continues his ascent as one of the better ILB's in the game and Chandler Jones can take a big step as a pass rusher they'll be a top 5 D. But not because of Revis.

16. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

Not with those receivers. Brady has been declining and last year's AFCCG showed that the offense can grind to a halt when facing a solid defense.

17. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

I hear ya. Just saying there has been plenty of news about all their missing key defensive players they will have huge holes in the middle of the field. Can't stop the run or anything across the middle. Rams could be good; I don't really hold much stock on these statistics. The thing I have always loved about The Saints has been they are a opportunistic defense that thrives on TURNOVERS(To me the only that shows a good defense) something our team that has lacked for years I feel. We never make those flash plays; I feel playing passively and defensively and reacting instead initiating the point of attack is the wrong approach.

18. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I dont know man, the receivers should improve which might be enough.

19. 74

74 Well-Known Member

This is prob none of my biz but how about "no offense". That one is the worst IMO to be honest. :p

20. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned