Top 5 defense my arse

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Nobody worth $8-10M a year at CB was free this season except Darrelle Revis and he'd never take that kind of money in his prime.

2. Especially considering the way illegal contact & defensive holding are becoming emphasized. Press man teams like the Jets have used aggressive press tactics as one of the roots of their success for years. I'm not sure that will be possible moving forward. Teams will basically be forced to play off man at best...more realistically cover 2 & cover 3. Keep your man in front of you, stay in position & make the tackle. Hope your DL can get home & that the opposition makes a few mistakes along the way.

This de-values the CB position significantly. This could be a blessing in the disguise for the Jets. Teams like the Patriots & Giants who spent a ton ofn press CBs this offseason could be in a tough spot moving forward.Revis & Browner could be illegal contact machines while DRC is a horrible tackler. Tackling, length & recovery speed are now the priority.

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

There were CB's who were at least worth looking into, available at a various range of prices.

Revis, Talib, Davis, Verner, Browner, Captain, and even Cro to name a few.
    Yet we were in a bidding war for DRC, who wasn't worth it, and ended up landing on Patterson. i was unimpressed to say the least.

I liked the drafting of McDougle, and that could have potentially been our answer there.
    But McDougle is gone, Milliner is questionable, and we were weak at the position to begin with.
    I think we need to make a move this season, and get a stop gap solution. Would hate to see 2014 unnecessarily derailed by poor CB play, which could also in turn lead to the firing of our coaches.

KWJetsFan likes this.
  4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

What I meant was Tanny brought in whoever for the here and now....disregarding next year or the year after. It's the GMs job to worry about tomorrow and let his coach worry about today.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  5. Barcs

Barcs Banned

[​IMG]

I didn't start a new topic with a garbage one liner like the OP. What kind of substance shall I be responding to in your post? Your posts never have substance. Sorry, my post actually had a paragraph and actually said SOMETHING about the team. The idiot in the OP didn't even put a complete sentence together. A pathetic effort and attempt to bash Rex with unsubstantiated hogwash. Any mod on here worth a damn should have closed this thread immediately. I thought that one liners in posts weren't allowed? So why is this guy allowed to start an entire thread with an incomplete sentence that says absolutely nothing? Anybody?

#105 Barcs, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  6. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

is this a serious question? who would deny that? since 2001 he's only had a defense below 10 once and that was last year

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

[​IMG]

BTW - Rex didn't become a DC until '05.

In 2009 we had a dominant defense here. It has become progressively worse, although still good. I think Rex needs some new tricks.

yd/g ppg
    2009 253 14.8
    2010 291.5 19
    2011 312.1 22.7
    2012 323.4 23.4
    2013 334.9 24.2

#107 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Aug 20, 2014
  8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

"infinitely" Heh.

9. Big Blocker

I can't believe any reasonable person actually believes the Jets could not have made better moves this off season at cb than they did. I think your position is actually based on an underappreciation of the cb role than on the analysis you pretend to believe in on this thread. Whether you and the others taking a homeristic position on this are accurate in your view of the cb position's importance can be fairly debated. The notion that the FO could not have done something better is pure homerism and you know it.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Teams are figuring out how to beat Rex's blitzing. Maybe not how to stop the actual blitz ie. block the guys getting through - because Rex can still be creative with where and how the guys are coming from.. but they are figuring out how to beat it by putting multiple receiving options out there and burning them with the quick passing game... making his blitzes irrelevant for the most part. It's no secret since 2010 his teams have struggled on 3rd downs. It's because they are obvious blitzing situations, especially obvious with Rex Ryan.

Look at the teams, in particular, that have ripped his defense apart the last few seasons : New England, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati.. they all have beaten his defense with a quick, controlled passing game.. Shotgun formation- one step- high percentage throw all game long. Even if the blitzer comes in free by the time he gets close the ball is already out.

Lebeau, a blitzer as well, has been so effective because he mixes in the zone blitz. Rex needs to do that more to protect his corners and safeties in coverage on these blitzes. This all is the reason why Rex's defenses have been poor in creating turnovers in recent years. Teams know he's blitzing heavy on third down so they are getting the ball out quick & they are running quick, high percentage routes because they know they are getting man coverage, often 1 on 1.

11. TheJetLife

TheJetLife Well-Known Member

We didn't sign any of those top CBs. Seemed to be a bad move but then again which of those could we have signed that wouldn't mess our cap up too much for next year?
    Then, Brandon Flowers was released. Could've been our saving grace but nope, we didn't go for him either.
    Now we're stuck with a scary (in a bad way) secondary that makes it seem like we're gonna be watching our team get torched through the air all season long, which can lead to a terrible season, which sets us back due to the firings that will lead to.

12. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

Why are people freaking out after Cinci first team WRs, including an arguably top 5 in the NFL WR, beat up our third string CBs, including a guy that joined the CB squad like a week ago?

Every. One. Calm. Down. Geez.

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=331027004

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I still can't believe they let Marvin Jones torch them for 4TDs that day. Fuckin A. An average WR who they let double his career TD output in one game. I totally forgot/blocked that out of my mind until they mentioned it on saturday night's broadcast and I had to look it up because I still couldn't believe that.

15. Big Blocker

Ftr I don't think there was any reasonable projection that McDougle would have been starting on Opening Day. The only scenario that made any sense was relying on a healthy Patterson to start the season, and have McDougle get up to speed if and when either he could play better or Patterson got hurt as seemed eventually likely given his history. I never thought relying on Walls or Lankster was a good bet, though. Now that Patterson has shown himself to be continuing with the history of injury problems, and McDougle didn't even get a chance to play out the above scenario, the whole thing is a big mess. I dont see how it gets resolved, or more accurately how likely it would be to get a reasonable resolution of the situation. It is that bad.

16. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

... because those "third stringers" are likely to start the season for us or could be, shortly after the season starts.

I don't know how any team could envision both of their starting CB's going down in pre-season, not sure if there is anyone to blame for our situation, but that doesn't make it any less troubling looking at opening day in a couple of weeks. Our back-ups are serviceable as fill ins one at a time with help, but not two at a time like we saw last week.

17. Big Blocker

McDougle was not going to be the starting CB, as you imply. Perhaps later in the season. Do you mean that Patterson is "down"? Not as I would use the term.

18. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

FWIW, when you have a mediocre offense , such as the Jets have shown these past 2-3 years, not able to sustain a drive and
    scoring diddly - it's logical to conclude that the D being dragged out onto the field for most of the game is going to have there a$$es$
    handed to them sooner or later. One side (offense) if decent, will compliment the other side (defense). With Geno, having a full year under his belt, and the added weapons, we will see what was expected of the D......no doubt.

Jets were ranked 20th in the NFL for time of possession in 2014 - and 15th in 2013 - not good.
    That's football 101...sustaining the offense while keeping the D rested = a winning combination.

19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

If the GM only has accountability for tomorrow, he'll never have any accountability, as there will always be a tomorrow.

It's his job to build for the present AND the future....not just the future.
    Same thing applies to the coaches.

#119 BacktoQueens, Aug 20, 2014
  20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

free beer tomorrow!