Top 5 defense my arse

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Let's talk about this at this time next year when the Jets either managed to lock up Mo Wilk and Snacks or didn't. When they figured out the David Harris conundrum or didn't. When they made the decisions on Jeremy Kerley, Bilal Powell, Kenrick Ellis and company. The Jets didn't play free agency to set up 2014. They played it to set up 2015 and the years after that. They did spend on offensive players to support the year but they left it up to Rex to figure out the defense with what he had on hand.

Signing an $8M a year CB for 5 years would have blown chunks given what the Jets have to deal with moving forward in terms of their own players and the talent level of the CB's involved.

JetBlue and Fiftynine like this.
  2. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Our defense is gonna be sick! i cant wait to see how this pans out. Dee "Franchise" Milliner looked really good in his first outting, picked up where he left off at the end of last year. We all know what the front 3 is about. Demario is really turning into a leader for the D, my most improved player by far for us. Calvin Fucking Pryor, gonna be a top 3 candidate for DROY i can feel it, Rex letting him do his own thing out there so shouldnt be a learning curve really, just keep getting better. AA is an all around solid player of course. Kyle Wilson has to step up, i wouldnt mind him playing the 2 though honestly. We are spoiled as a fanbase by great CB play over the years exclude last year. we are NOT TERRIBLE at DB were just looking very average for once at the one position we were loaded at. Its not a reason to panic, that great secondary never won us shit in the long run anyway while teams with weak secondaries been winning rings (exclude LOB). Dont let these pre-season games get yall too worked up, this is the best team weve had on both sides of the ball in a while.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Wow that is just amazing analysis. You should be on ESPN with that detail! You've gotta be joking.

Edit: since you aren't hard to figure out, I predict you will "Like" this post instead of responding with anything of substance or understanding of the subject...

... or you will just try to make some homosexual comment that you think will make readers of the post recoil and forget your stupidity.

That's basically all you've got.

#83 abyzmul, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  4. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

ive said it before and ill say it again..,everybody except the jets and us jet fans thinks the d is over rated and arent afraid to make huge plays. there good in the dumbest stats, year after year they let the other team score on a final drive, they give up long huge plays, never in the top for PPG and never turn the ball over.

5. Br4d

Idzik's other notable employer was the Bucs from 1994 to 2002 and they also built through the draft and spent money on the occasional big free agent (Simeon Rice, Brad Johnson) and prospered.

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Nice points here, but if I was the Hare with Tortoise legs (Rex) I might still try to make the best of what players I have ie fielding the best team possible and surprising my Boss by getting this team, some way ,some how, to the playoffs in 2014. So we were a playoff contender if Milliner had not been hurt and the OL a little better? If I were Rex's agent I would say the heck with Idzik's team building strategy and do what's best for YOUR job security. Incredibly, I read in the papers a few months ago and discussed on this board ,that the message was sent to Rex that Woody "doesn't think 2014 is a make the playoffs or else situation" for Ryan. Talk about de motivation for Rex!!
    I hope Idzik's approach works but I have my doubts, he double talks and smoke screens the public eg we recently found out we are not 21 million under cap etc.; we may only be able to resign our deserving Vets like Kerley et al. I hope I answered a few questions you had about how this season is or is not panning out. HA, it will always pan out for Idzik's bank account while we wait.

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Meh. If the Jets are to be competitive next year, they likely will have to either use a high pick at cb or go FA next off season, anyway. I don't see much value in putting it off. Meanwhile you are telling your players the FO is not really expecting a playoff run this season.

I understand you think such moves as the one year deal for Vick were specifically designed to back up/light a fire under Smith. I don't disagree that may be the intent, but how then does it make sense by the same logic to let #2 Cb slide? The money they are saving there is not of critical benefit to any long range plans, and for the fans it is shaping up as a long season watching the secondary struggle, the running game shelved by halftime, and pressure on Smith to lead comebacks in the second half.

I don't think much of that kind of approach to football.

8. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

It's funny because all the Jets do is pick defense in the first, but I think there is a good chance Defense will be the top pick again next year. Without knowing too much about 2015 prospects, I think the Jets are going to need a CB/MLB/OLB on the defensive front in the first. I love the idea of getting a MLB/CB in the first and then Dorial Green-Beckham in the second. I havent done any prospect research yet, so I dont know if this is even realstic, just an early plan.

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

If you just give Rex an entire defense of 1st round picks he will have the best D in the league. Guaranteed!

10. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Haha agreed.

11. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

IMO the approach we are taking is that unless you are the long term answer, and will not be afraid to throw short term stop gaps/bodies into positions until we find one through the draft/free agency or one emerges from the competition. We may have a #2 CB on the roster already, but we won't know if we spend big money on a less than ideal, expensive FA and they can't get the snaps. Meanwhile that FA is going to be taking up cap space that can be better utilized on other positions. Our cap frugality means that next year we will have the flexibility to resign all our emerging star players (Mo, Snacks), plus probably a few positions where we can sign an outside FA to a long term contract like we did with Decker.

I don't take issue so much doing this at one position such as the #2 WR spot. What scares me is we're doing this with BOTH guard spots, while trying to take a probable downgrade at RT. I hope that sorts itself out.

12. Big Blocker

If that is the philosophy, please explain the Vick signing, and how that should be different than CB.

13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

he answered that. if you aren't a long term answer we will use a short term stop gap in the position until we find a long term answer through the draft or free agency. Michael Vick signed a 1 year contract, you don't get much more short term stop gap then that. there is nothing different about Vick than his statement in regards to the CB position.

14. Br4d

Michael Vick was signed because the Jets had to have a viable alternative to Geno Smith if it came to that. QB and CB are two completely different propositions.

15. Big Blocker

I understand that point. But why does that not apply at CB?

THe Jets don't even have a viable starter at #2 cb, let alone a viable alternative.

THe Jets btw could have kept Cromartie for another year but did not even try to. Let's see how well he plays for the Cards this year.

Imo not all, to be sure, but alot of this short term v. long term thing is bs. Again, there's nothing that the Jets did that really will be significant as an advantage next year because of non-moves at cb this off season. I know the overoptimistic like to think the FO is completely savvy in this regard. But while the FO might have a pretty good idea of some players that they will need to deal with next year in terms of contracts, others, perhaps most players, it remains to be seen based on a number of factors, including obviously how the coming season goes for them. Do the Jets need to maintain space, for example and speaking of corners, for Kyle Wilson? Your own previous post implicitly recognizes that some of the players who might at this point end up showing they deserve new contracts, more likely not all you mention will.

I guess I am saying having too high a value placed on future flexibility at the expense of short term hits to the roster is at least potentially dubious. I guess I have a personality and profession that leads me to at least wonder about the downside of such a focus. The downside to that approach should be obvious right now. I along with everyone else here hopes Milliner comes back and is effective soon, and that somehow someone can play decent opposite him. Seems like a lot to depend on right now, due to non-moves you guys all think are part of a superwonderful strategy.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

rex ryan is the best defensive mind in the NFL today. he can't showcase any of that in the preseason.

this team clearly is lacking in talent at CB and it's going to look awful in preseason because we can't scheme. i mean jeez, we started AA at CB. this defense is going to be infinitely better when it comes time to play legit bal

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

based on what?

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

All of these statements are written as if we're 4-10 with two games to go...

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Tanny ran the team too much like a HC

20. Not even...Head coaches usually put a priority on quality depth. Tannenbaum only cared about the starting 22 & getting a few toys for Westhoff. He routinely disrespected the notion of player development & a quality 53. He got lucky in 09 & 10 when the Jets were mostly injury free & trauma free cap wise.

As soon as injuries set in, certain players aged & Cotchery asked out suddenly the team's starting 22 was full of slow aging veterans that couldn't be released due to high cap hits & no young players ready to step in to provide relief due to lack of draft picks & player development. Basically he had no back-up plan.The skill group in 11 & 12 are some of the most pitiful this franchise has ever assembled.