Which is the best sport to watch IN PERSON?

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by HackettSuxTNG, May 12, 2014.

?

Which is the best sport to watch IN PERSON?

1. NBA Basketball

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. NFL Football

13 vote(s)
    27.7%
  3. NHL Hockey

30 vote(s)
    63.8%
  4. Major League Baseball

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Yes, I "liked" each of the last two posts. Baseball has some things going for it, but it is dreadful in other areas.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I am sharing my opinions but I don't have an inferiority complex about the sports I love.

there is no right or wrong answer as far as "best sport to watch in person". you have your opinion, I have mine. You have your reasons and so do I. Why do you feel like you have to convert me? enjoy your sports and I will enjoy mine.

3. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Just a thought but in a thread about people's opinions on other sports, well um, people are gonna give you their opinions

4. nyjunc

ok, where have I said people can't? you guys are the ones bashing my opinions b/c I don't bow down to the greatness of hockey and soccer.

5. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Baseball definitely has the good weather and atmosphere going for it. I feel like going to baseball games is more about having a good time with your friends and family, rather than what's happening on the field. The price is right and you don't need high quality seats to see everything. With football, it's usually cool and windy and I'm just glued to the field the whole time because every moment is so critical and love being able to see everybody at once. The 2 experiences are like day and night, but both are enjoyable although being able to focus on any matchup you want makes football superior to all other sports live, if you are an enthusiast. In most other sports you see everything on TV, so there's no real advantage for the enthusiast to go to a live game. In football there is a distinct advantage to the live environment.

6. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Depends on where your seats are. I have been to Jets games in a corner of an end zone. I barely could see what was going on on the other end of the field. This is one half of the reason why you will frequently hear coaches say, "I need to look at the film".

You need particular seats at a football game.

7. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Football is 100% a TV sport. Have been a STH since 1998, awesome seats, have never missed a game, go to 2-3 away games a year in awesome seats, and IMHO football is so much more enjoyable on TV. The least enjoyable experience live.

_

Brook! likes this.
  8. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

I gotta say football is pretty great when you have a sideline mid level suite with the couches & food behind you

9. nyjunc

football is better in person b/c you can see the whole field. some people don't care to see the whole field so I can see how it would be better on TV for them but I like to see plays develop, I like to see what is going on(or what I think is going on).

10. JStokes

Of course--that's the ideal. When I go to Gillette, that's the deal I have, same with Atlanta and usually 2 games at MetLife. My other seats are very good, but you still miss some of the game.

Unless you have perfect seats, you can miss a lot of what's going on.

I will say, in the old stadium, I had end zone seats and they were pretty cool for watching the plays develop. But if you're in a corner, or down too low (my brother-in-laws seats were in the 10th row at the 35), you miss a lot.

_

11. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Again, it depends on where your seats are. I have been at Jets games where I could see the whole field and there were other games where my seats were only good for seeing half the field.

12. JStokes

Went to the Yankee game last night, sat in a suite directly behind home plate. Perfect seats. I don't think I watched more than 20 pitches. It was just a nice night out but not something I'm riveted to anymore.

_

13. JStokes

This.

_

14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

(assuming you have great seats) both hockey and football are better in person from a 'big picture' perspective. Besides, in football (after looking at the pre-snap alignments) a quick peek at what the center and the two guards are doing off the snap will pretty tell you what the play's going to be 95% of the time freeing you up to take in the play in full as it develops.

#354 joe, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  15. nyjunc

for me baseball isn't about the game, it's about spending the day with family and/or friends. There are so many games I don't care if they win or lose unlike football.

16. JStokes

Exactly. And being a Met fan, I gave up on caring about wins and losses a while ago.

_

17. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Then why do you have season tickets? I'd never buy season tickets to watch a sport that I found more enjoyable on TV. That's why I said for the enthusiast / analyst, live is better. If you are the average fan that only care about the plays where the ball is, then live has no benefit to you. For me, I love seeing match ups you don't get to follow on TV like Kyle Wilson or Revis. It's true what Cake said, if you have endzone ticket it's tough if they aren't heading towards you, but you could have anything on the sides even nose bleeds, and can see almost any match up you want and you see none of this on TV. I loved going to Jets games in 2010 and 2011 because I focused almost exclusively on Revis' match up when he was out there. On TV, you'd only get to see him when the ball is thrown his way or if he needs to make a tackle in the run game, which is highway robbery considering he's one of the best to play the position. That plus getting to see the actual timings of the WR routes, makes it worthwhile.

#357 Barcs, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  18. JStokes

First of all, I didn't say I didn't enjoy going to the games. I've had season tix for 14 years--have never missed one-- I thoroughly enjoy going to games and I have very good seats so the sightlines issue--for me--isn't an issue. I love taking my kids to the games--some great great family memories. I can still hear my daughter today saying "We'll never forget this game" about the Jets-Steelers snow bowl game. And you know what, we talk about it all the time. I go to at least 2 away games every year as well.

Hell, I go to all the preseason games--I LOVE them, getting to see the youngsters or bubble players play, outside on a nice August night is great.

All I said was that overall football--in my opinion--is better suited to TV than any other sport. With all the stoppage of play, the elements, some of the craziness in the stands, getting in and out of the lot--not the best live event. I'll watch every single game Thursday through Monday. I can't say the same about any other sport.

I get that the nuances of being able to isolate on a single player or a route progression is nice, but overall, sitting in the comfort of your home with the HD flat screen, multiple replays from 5 different angles--with really great food and really good booze/beer is pretty nice as well.

_

Brook! likes this.
  19. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I have liked watching from nosebleed seats, but I hated being in nosebleeds. I am not a huge fan of heights. I don't like attending NFL games for the long lines, exorbitant prices, the drive and the aggravation of people constantly getting up and out of their seats in my row or in front of me. Overall, it is just not a good experience for me.

20. nyjunc

the UD at the old stadium was great, the UD at the new Stadium is too high and too far pushed back.