Geno or Vick? Who do you think becomes starter week 1?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Apr 17, 2014.

?

Geno or Vick? Who starts week 1 of 2014 season

1. Geno

88 vote(s)
    56.1%
  2. Vick

59 vote(s)
    37.6%
  3. Matt Simms?!?

10 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Thanks. But looking at those numbers, it almost seems like the baseline definition for "professional receiver".

Sundayjack likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Exactly. The Jets had none of that last year on a consistent basis. Foles had professional WR's even with DeSean Jackson out.

3. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

My issue with this is what exactly constitutes a "weapon" on offense? Would D Thomas or J Thomas still be "elite" weapons even though their route trees on tape are simplistic at best? Is it a mismatch speed wise like Cumberland VS most LBers or Safeties?

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree on Boyd, and he might start in a year IMO. He also has a great attitude. My post was replying to someone else. Thanks for the support on TB for QB, not to many people give him a chance in Jet Land but Gruden said he grades QBs and he gave him an excellent review.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

theres fans on this site that want to trade for everyone every offseason. i took issue with someone saying geno is no foles when no one saw foles making that kind of improvement and dismissing any reasoning that geno could take a lesser step and become an average qb.

6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

man, that is so painful to watch.

7. Br4d

With a QB like Peyton Manning who distributes the ball well anybody who is good at their trade is going to be a weapon. Demaryius Thomas is a very good wide receiver. With Manning distributing the ball he is a dangerous weapon. Julius Thomas is probably a good receiving TE as well. Having Welker there in the slot and two good receivers on the outside certainly made him harder to cover.

Jeff Cumberland is not a weapon on offense at this point. He's just doesn't create a lot of options for the QB to get him the ball. He may turn into a weapon for the Jets at some point. He's been a project at TE for 4 years now and it would be nice to get a payoff for that before he goes.

8. 74

74 Well-Known Member

ok man I was probably one of the only ones who were clamoring for a Foles trade. I am not a fan that wants us to "trade for everybody" every off-season but I did want us to trade for Foles because I did see a breakout coming and possible franchise guy. If you study Foles rookie year his per game performance for his first seven or so games he started was right up there with the performances of the top rookies that year Andrew Luck, RG3, and R. Wilson through their first seven or so games - actually it was mostly better. Foles was an afterthought to the mainstream because he only played half a season. While he was in midseason form, the rest of the rookies were at their end of season peaks. If Foles actually outperformed or matched their improvement rate over the first half of a season, it was not too far fetched to expect him to develop into a legit starter like the rest of his fellow rookies had by the time they played a full season.

Foles has excellent technique and footwork. His ability to read defenses is very good. These are two important areas where Geno sucked at and needs to improve. Lets hope for the best but expecting him to make a smooth transition into a quality starting QB in a short time frame like Foles did is a bit unrealistic.

NYJetsO12 and Big Blocker like this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

if geno hadn't finished on a run of playing decent football i might agree with you. nut they way i see it, he is just as likely to continue that trend than to go back to mid 2013 bad geno.

10. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

We say exactly what you want to see out of a rookie QB last season.
    Geno started coming on towards the last quarter of the season and that is cause for optimism .
    Now lets see how he performs with his new toys on offense and give the kid a chance to show if those last 4 games or so were just a fluke.

FJF likes this.
  11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

You are correct on both counts.

12. Big Blocker

Brad,

It is common knowledge around the NFL that Foles is, and was last year, one of the best Qb's in the NFL. Your attempts to equate Philly's decision to stick with him instead of bringing back Vick with saying Smith should start ahead of Vick does not stand up. Foles is a far better Qb than Smith, and you know it.

74 likes this.
  13. Big Blocker

You are making up a straw man, again. No one that I am aware of has said that there is no reasoning that Smith COULD become an average NFL Qb. I have said I think it unlikely. You on the other hand are counting on that happening. Meanwhile you ignore, because it does not fit your agenda, that the comparison to Foles is not about rookie seasons but about why Philly did not bring back Vick as the starter, and how that does NOT compare to whether Vick should or should not start over Smith.

I also am not aware of any fan here who wants to trade for everyone. The Jets in fact should at least have made the attempt last off season to obtain Foles. Fans here thought so, and it is not to the Jets' credit that they did not make that attempt.

14. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I don't want to speak for Brad but I doubt he's saying that Geno is better than Foles. But if Geno has a good camp and preseason he should start.

15. Big Blocker

Yes I recall you were one who thought that about Foles. I distinctly remember Foles because I have followed Andy Reid's career, and noted how he and Marty (following Reid led me to become aware of Marty, too) made big improvements in Vick's career compared to Atlanta, and then noted how great they did finding Foles with a third round pick. Foles was a guy who did not start as you say compared to Griffin, Wilson and Luck, but showed he was on their talent level by the end of his rookie year. Right now he is in fact better than all of those guys, and if he can follow this year what he did last year, deserves to be counted as one of the top five Qb's in the league.

Like I said a few moments ago, it is a shame the Jets did not get him, obviously, but even worse is that they didn't even try to get him. The irony is what I wanted was to trade Sanchez to them, and look where he ended up as their backup. Philly might well have gone for some trade package, at least if it included the Jets carving off some of the cost of his contract, which the Jets ate anyway when Sanchez missed all last season.

Just another reason why I am not a Jet FO Homer.

NYJetsO12 and 74 like this.
  16. Big Blocker

He is equating Philly keeping Foles as the starter with whether Vick is better than Smith.

17. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I don't want to speak for him but based on reading what he wrote I don't think that's what he's saying.

18. Br4d

You can speak for me on this one. I never said anything about Foles and Geno. That's just BB's way of conceding that he can't make a good argument for Vick being a good QB based on the actual events of the last few seasons. I will concede that Vick is better than Kyle Orton but that's not saying much.

19. Big Blocker

What do you think he is saying?

20. Big Blocker

Nonsense, Brad. I have in fact made that argument, and you have not countered it, instead using intentionally misleading stats like counting fumbles in turnovers and comparing them to passing Td's. For a running Qb like Vick you know that is a misleading stat, and when I called you on it you ignored the point.

You know Vick's interception ratio is not much over half what Smith's is. You know his Qb rating is far better, and you know in fact that he is a better Qb than Smith. At this point I am not sure what your point is, and maybe you have lost track of it yourself.

Ftr I am not saying Vick is a great Qb, and if you are merely saying that, then fine. But he is better than Smith, and I think you know that.

As for the denial that you are comparing Smith and Foles, I don't know how else to read your post at 120, along with your points elsewhere that Vick is not better than Smith as evidenced by as you put Reid "benching" him in favor of Foles. Why should that be viewed as relevant if Foles, as is common knowledge, is far better than SMith?