Geno or Vick? Who do you think becomes starter week 1?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Apr 17, 2014.

?

Geno or Vick? Who starts week 1 of 2014 season

1. Geno

88 vote(s)
    56.1%
  2. Vick

59 vote(s)
    37.6%
  3. Matt Simms?!?

10 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The problem though is that at this point in his career Vick's not a particularly good QB. He's not likely to take the job on merit. If he gets it default is the likely mechanism.

I have no idea if Geno is up to the challenge of being the Jets QB. Neither do the Jets, which is why Vick is in town. If the Jets knew Geno was not the answer they'd have drafted a QB before the 6th round this year.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I have never been thickheaded, on purpose or otherwise. You have anger management issues. Calm down, sparky.

3. Big Blocker

You keep repeating the mantra that Vick is not a good Qb. Just last off season he won a Qb competition against Nick Foles, who went on to play arguably the best Qb work of any NFL Qb last season. Care to explain what makes you conclude Vick is not "particularly" good?

And gee I thought the reason the Jets did not draft a Qb until the sixth round was because Idzik goes BPA in the draft.

j/k

4. Big Blocker

It's a stronger position than yours.

5. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Let's be honest, Foles played excellently after he came in for Vick, he didn't replace Vick because of it.

The risk of starting Vick in Week 1 is that he'll be in a million pieces by Week 4 - that has to play a factor in any QB competition.

6. Big Blocker

Actually Foles showed much promise in 12, too. I was one of a few posters here who thought the Jets should have tried to pry him away from Philly last off season. He was not an unknown by any means.

7. Br4d

With the exception of 2010, which appears to have been his prime career year, Vick has been a mediocre QB since his long absence from the game. It just is what it is. What he brings to the table for the Jets is that he can go out on the field and play the QB position if Geno can't. That's a valuable asset to have right now. The Jets haven't had a really competent backup QB since Vinny was let go. It's been a raw young guy or an elderly player for a decade at this point. The 2014 Jets have a guy where if the starter apparent is not able to stay on the field they'll have some competence behind him.

Since that 2010 comeback season Vick is 12-17 with a 58.4 completion percentage, 35 TD's and 43 TO's. This is not a world-beating player we got here. It's a guy who can go on the field for us if need be and maybe keep things together. That's better than we've had and I'm glad he's here.

8. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Why should it? This is a short season sport, just 16 games. If the CS think Vick gives them the best chance to win the first 4 games, than he should start.
    We just went through 6 years of iffy QB play, I don't think anyone wants to see another season of it.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

You are downplaying Vick big time. Why would you not include the 2010 comeback season in your post? Let's pick and choose which years we want to include so we can tailor our arguments? He played very well last season as a starter, anyway.

He's not a world-beater but when healthy he's at least a mediocre NFL Starting QB, something the Jets haven't had since Favre. He also shows the ability on occasion to play better than mediocre. He's not just a capable backup or a "guy who can go on the field and maybe keep things together" .. that's Ryan Fitzpatrick, that's Jason Campbell, that's Brandon Weeden. Vick is at a higher level than those guys. That's why the Jets went out and got him instead of those guys. They want a starting QB not a backup.

It's funny that you mention Vinny because I see similarities between this scenario and the Vinny/Foley scenario. It of course would be a dream if it plays out like that did.

10. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I thought Foles playing the way he did was why they never went back to Vick?

11. Br4d

Vick was 30 in 2010. He's 34 now. Why would I not include a year when he was 30 that was much better than the years since? Because it's consistent with almost everything else I post.

On the Vinny comparison, we can only hope and that would be a great thing if it happened. Vinny was almost a perfect fit for the offense Parcells wanted to run. Then he got the opportunity and he had his best year ever.

I'm not sure Vick meets the same criteria but he did have a good year in 2010 in MM's WCO so we can hope he's capable of recapturing some of that.

One of the things to remember is that while injuries have played a big part in the yearly Vick absences from the field they didn't play a major role in 2012. Andy Reid benched Michael Vick to try to save his job. Vick was playing in a MM offense at the time with better weapons around him than he's likely to have next year.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

You chose since 2010 because he had a great year in 2010 and you didn't want to include that in your argument bashing him. It wasn't about his age at the time lets be real. Why not include since 2009 when he was still in his 20s then? Why not include his stats since he got out of the slammer? Those would seem a little more relevant, but also might make your argument seem flimsy.

His success in the WCO was the main reason why he was signed and the main reason he will start week 1, IMO

13. ConcordeChops

It was, that wasn't my point. Foles didn't get the job by playing excellently, he got the job because Vick got injured. He took the opportunity with both hands and I expect him to be a great QB for the Eagles.

14. Big Blocker

Team won lost record??? Really you want to focus on that team stat?

The three years you focus on includes 2012, when the Eagles went 3-7 with Vick, but 1-5 without him. The Eagles D totally imploded taht year with Castillo as their DC, and as much as I am an Andy Reid fan his mishandling of Castillo, who was fired mid-season, led to Reid getting fired, too. The Eagles D is what really killed their season in 12.

Meanwhile Vick who concededly had his worst stats in that year for those three years was still rated at 78.1, better than Smith by a significant amount. His other two years were even better at 84.9 and 86.5.

Your turnover to TD ratio is also very misleading since Vick ran the ball so much. Tell me you were not trying to be misleading. The more accurate ratio was comparing his TD passes in those three years, the total being 35, to his Int's, the total there being 27 (meaning the other turnovers were lost fumbles).

Over 30 games from 11 through 13 Vick had 27 int's while Smith in 16 games had 21. Smith in short had nearly double the amount of interceptions. And your turnover total including lost fumbles also left out that Vick had four rushing Td's in that period.

I will not even bother posting Vick's rushing totals since I hope he does not run it too much, but he far outperforms SMith there, too.

A more accurate assessment of the stats, as well as a fair assessment of the situation with the Eagles, shows Vick to be a much better Qb than you claim.

15. Br4d

I'm not going to go back and forth on this with you. If you don't recognize that Vick has been a mediocre QB in the last 3 years there isn't much I can say to change your mind. Both the numbers and the W-L speak in this case. There's nothing hidden here. Andy Reid got fired in Philly in large part because he couldn't get Vick back to the vicinity of his 2010 season. Given what happened in KC last year I think it is pretty clear that Reid was not the main problem in Philly. The Eagles stumbling out of the gate last year with Vick at QB and only recovering when Foles replaced him is another pretty convincing piece of evidence at this point.

See Vick for what he is and you won't be disappointed by him. See him as a good QB coming into town and you're setting yourself up for a fall.

16. ConcordeChops

I'm agnostic as to who wins the QB competition because they are all flawed. If you start with Vick then you putting your weight behind a QB with no long-term future on the roster - if we were in a position to make a run at the VLT then I'd be right behind your argument.

I'd rather give a young QB every chance and bring Vick on if you need to sit them. That protects Vick from injury and allows the current incumbent to get more experience.

17. ConcordeChops

I'm agnostic as to who wins the QB competition because they are all flawed. If you start with Vick then you putting your weight behind a QB with no long-term future on the roster - if we were in a position to make a run at the VLT then I'd be right behind your argument.

I'd rather give a young QB every chance and bring Vick on if you need to sit them. That protects Vick from injury and allows the current incumbent to get more experience.

18. LWC611

LWC611 Member

I do not think the Jets are thinking of BOYD as a future starter, particularly if Geno falters this year. I really think they are looking at the draft next year.

19. The 1985er

I get your point. But it's the way you worded it.

20. The 1985er

Vick was pretty good last year before he got hurt. I remember how well he played against the Redskins in week 1 and against the Chargers where he put up 400 yards. I think you're under rating him.