Geno or Vick? Who do you think becomes starter week 1?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Apr 17, 2014.

?

Geno or Vick? Who starts week 1 of 2014 season

1. Geno

88 vote(s)
    56.1%
  2. Vick

59 vote(s)
    37.6%
  3. Matt Simms?!?

10 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He wouldn't be the first 6th rounder to wind up starting for his team as a rookie.

Ryan Lindley started for Arizona in 2012 when the Cards options dwindled and Whisenhunt was on the way out the door. Bruce Gradkowski started 11 games in 2006 for the Bucs.

I think that's it for 6th round rookies starting at QB since the 7 round draft began in 1994.

Obviously both Tom Brady and Matt Hasselbeck went on to long and distinguished careers after being taken in the 6th round. Brady started in his second season and Hasselbeck in his third.

alleycat9 likes this.
  2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Ftr I have in fact NOT been categorical in reaching any conclusions about Smith. I have talked in terms of likelihood.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You are unsurprisingly selling Vick short again, I guess you have that right. Geno doesn't just have to reach some perceived mediocre level of play, he has to beat out a guy that threw for 3000+ yards twice in a Marty Morninwheg offense and knows the system well.

A lot of times, your takes can be sterile and rigid and this time it is no exception. Think about the situation.

You have a new-ish player that had a mostly disappointing season in a new system, his team goes out and grabs the QB that has had the most recent success in his system on a team that is really building a solid core.

Do they get that guy for millions to sit and mentor the young and underdeveloped second year player?

That does not compute.

4. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Get your deed ready, btw what city do you live in?

5. abyzmul

There's an alley that you need to go to, but the voting lever is a penis and you have to know how to work it.

alleycat9, NY Jets68 and FJF like this.
  6. MaximusD163

$5 million isn't really all that much for a backup QB. Matt Hasselback makes $3.75 million in Indy, Kyle Orton makes $4.37 million in Dallas, Chad Henne makes $5.75 million in Jacksonville and he may not start. I'm not saying there's no way Vick will start or anything, but $5 million isn't some great sum of money for a guy who could be on the bench.

7. abyzmul

True, until you review the spending habits of your new GM.

8. MaximusD163

Considering Vick is a significantly better backup option than any of these others, I think that represents the kind of value Idzik looks for. If Vick starts the season that's fine with me, but I don't think Vick would have phrased his comments in that way if he didn't feel the odds were in Geno's favor.

9. abyzmul

Vick has been a good soldier since he got out of prison. It's not like he was preening when he walked into the hallowed halls of Philly. He learned some humility. I don't think I'd use his comments as a measure of how the Jets will handle the QB position this year.

Altoona likes this.
  10. MaximusD163

We'll see, but I know who my guess is. I don't think it's cut and dry by any means.

11. abyzmul

Of course not. There's an entire training camp coming up. There's no way to really be sure of anything right now except the solidified starters, and even those can change.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Throwing for 3000+ yards in a MM offense doesn't mean much. We already have a guy on the roster that did that, last year.

I believe what the Jets went out to get in Vick was the best insurance they could find on the open market for the Geno quandary. To wit: they got a vet who knows the system and who will be able to run a similar set of plays to the ones they ideally want Geno to run next year.

A veteran QB who has started games recently is often a pricey backup. Matt Cassel and Kyle Orton are good examples of that reality. The Jets were going to go get somebody who could start this year if they needed him too. There were only a couple of guys like that on the market so they paid a premium for Vick.

To better put the investment in perspective here are all the cap hits within $3M and $5M for NFL QB's this year as of this point:

Josh McCown - $4.75M (TB)
    Kyle Orton - $ 4.377M (DAL)
    Jake Locker - $ 4.04M (TEN)
    Michael Vick - $4M (NYJ)
    Matt Hasselbeck - $3.75M (IND)
    Ryan Tannehill - $3.455M (MIA)
    Chase Daniel - $ 3.4M (KC)
    Ryan Fitzpatrick - $3.375M (HOU)
    Christian Ponder - $3.232M (MIN)

That's 9 guys all of whom fit in the realm of vet backup or rookie deal winding down. Orton, Hasselbeck, Daniel and Fitzpatrick are clearly vet backups at this point in their careers. Locker and Ponder are playing out of their rookie deals and likely onto the market. Tannehill is in the third year of his rookie deal.

That leaves Josh McCown and Michael Vick as guys who have started games recently and might do so again. Those were the two vet QB's on the market this year and they both got paid as a result. If Vick was going to be the Jets starting QB this year no questions asked he'd have gotten a good bit more than he did.

We've seen those kind of deals recently. Carson Palmer signed a 2 year $16M deal with the Cards after the trade last year. They included a third voidable year just to lessen the immediate cap hit for them. Matt Schaub signed a 2 year $13.5M deal after he got traded to the Raiders.

One more point, which is very important: if the Jets really thought Vick was the QB when they signed him they'd have given him a 2 year deal, like Arizona gave Palmer and Oakland gave Schaub. You do not hand your QB job to somebody you have on a 1 year deal. If he does well you're going to wind up bidding against a hot market for him or paying a huge franchise price.

13. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

You're telling ME what I meant? I just explained it. So either you're being thick or you're doing this on purpose.

On another note this is the NFL. Every win is legit.

As for Miami. YOU are dismissing it to prove your point.

And fuck your "mercy"

14. The 1985er

So you're just assuming that Vick is better even if they both have good camps? If Geno is good in camp and preseason you start Geno.

JStokes likes this.
  15. Big Blocker

In valuing Vick's contract, I would not leave out that his history with the law probably ends up depressing his value some.

I also agree there's a risk having a Qb on a one year contract running the show. But there's no law against it. Jay Cutler ended the 2013 season as a free agent, and was signed by the Bears to an extension, so there's one example from just this off season.

16. Big Blocker

You are not making sense, but despite your arrogant and angry post, I think you have made enough trouble for yourself without me piling on. Have a nice evening.

17. abyzmul

Definitely going to have to figure out how to serialize posts on this new forum, because that post is annoying.

#357 abyzmul, May 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 19, 2014
  18. The 1985er

Okay so you're being thick headed on purpose? It's either that or you're purposely being a troll.

19. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

This is the youngest team in the entire NFL,can someone make me understand why people think an aging Vick is gonna start week 1?Maybe in the Tannenbaeum era he would have started week 1 ,Injury or bed shitting is the only way Vick starts at any point in the season

The 1985er and FJF like this.
  20. abyzmul

Because he is a seasoned veteran with three more years - as a veteran - in Morninwheg's system, is faster, has a stronger arm, thinks at the speed of the NFL Game, can read defenses better and therefore can communicate to the offensive line those reads instead of making Mangold call the Oline coverage with his head down, can execute dump offs and screens much better, and has playoff experience.

Now you go ahead and tell me why Geno is better suited. Aside from youth.