Geno or Vick? Who do you think becomes starter week 1?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Apr 17, 2014.

?

Geno or Vick? Who starts week 1 of 2014 season

1. Geno

88 vote(s)
    56.1%
  2. Vick

59 vote(s)
    37.6%
  3. Matt Simms?!?

10 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Refresh my memory show me when I said that. So we can have this discussion.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Nah. That discussion is so last week.

3. The 1985er

Because you can't.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I am gonna try not to discount your argument even though you have shown you are biased since you are rooting for vick without seeing either perform with this team.
    Having said that. Do you not think marty would make more adjustments if opposing d.c.'s start taking away the shorter passes? Are we not allowed to make those adjustment also?
    Bringing up concern over geno running and hoping for vick to start is a bit hypocritical i think also but whatever. I still see more evidence that geno will show a decent amount of improvement vs being a bust.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Vick easily. I can't believe this is even a conversation.

6. Big Blocker

I don't see any hypocrisy since I have said several times that I hope Marty gets Vick to run much less frequently. With the Jets' running game and options such as Johnson and Amaro available, the need to take off should be relatively minimal.

And I am not sure what you are referring to when yo say I have not seen Smith perform with this team.

7. Big Blocker

Putting aside those Smith fans who overrate him and who are unreasonably hopeful of a vast improvement in his performance, I think to be fair there is a part of the discussion that at least makes more important his position relative to Vick's.

Vick is unlikely under any reasonable scenario to be an answer for the Jets past 15, if that. He's on a one year deal, is 33 and has a history of injuries. Meanwhile IF Smith could develop enough, he could become a longer term solution to who should be the Jets' Qb. If I were more optimistic about Smith I would give even greater weight to such position, obviuously. Despite my skepticism of him, I do nonetheless acknowledge that there is a certain logic at work here.

Some have argued that playing Vick will effectively mean the Jets will have no better information what to do with Smith by next off season compared to now. The argument is that they will know no better whether to keep Smith or go some other route. In fact I think this argument is overrated, since the CS will have other means of assessing Smith. But it has a certain surface plausibility.

Still, on balance all that pales compared to the need for Ryan and the FO to put the best Qb out there with the bets chance of winning. By that measure, the conclusion is rather clear.

NotSatoshiNakamoto likes this.
  8. Big Blocker

From your post 219 on this thread:

"I hate the quality of opponents argument."

Despite that, you went on to tout Miami as a quality team since they would have gone to the playoffs if they had beaten the Jets.

So, I just did.

9. FJF

Than it will be minimal for geno also.
    So we can cancel that concern as an argument against geno
    you haven't seen geno with this team. Last years team is not this years team .

10. Big Blocker

The issue with Smith running late last season was that he made use of runs to counter the lack of production throwing the ball. He has yet to show a talent for the dump off pass.

11. The 1985er

You cannot be serious. One has nothing to do with the other.

12. FJF

Vick made a career doing that.
    Again you have not made an argument of why geno won't improve enough. Only stating his faults.a lot of which can be argued against vick as well.

13. Big Blocker

You are the one lacking seriousness. You said you did not like the quality of opponent argument, yet used it to tout the win over Miami.

14. Big Blocker

Let me ask you this. Around the league, who do most NFL fans consider the better Qb to be?

My skepticism of Smith is very straightforward. He has so far to go to become even an average NFL Qb, it is simply against the odds that he will succeed.

15. The 1985er

When I said I don't like the quality of opponents argument is because it's used to justify Geno's decent play down the stretch. As if Geno would've sucked in that same stretch if the Jets had played nothing but great teams. He was solid against the Panthers and was solid against a Dolphins team that a few weeks prior he was so bad that he got benched.

You said the Dolphins weren't a quality team because they lost to the Bills the week before. But a few weeks prior they beat the Pats and Steelers. How I'm interpreting your statement is that since the Jets beat them and Geno played relatively well, that meant they weren't a quality team.

16. BrowningNagle

I think they are trying to win in 14 and brought in Vick to do so. I think he will undoubtedly win the starting job in TC, simply because he's a much better than Geno Smith right now.

I also don't think signing and starting Vick hurts Geno Smith's development. On the contrary, I think him sitting a year (or 2?) and learning from a professional like Vick will help Geno Smith.

I think Vick is a good model for Geno Smith - a guy who relied purely on athletic ability for a long time but it only got him so far and it took him almost losing everything to change. Now he is having to play differently, study harder and be a real professional - just to stay in the league.

Geno Smith seeing this from a guy like Michael Vick, who I bet he enjoyed watching growing up, will only help him develop. I don't think this happens as well with Geno Smith starting and Vick sitting behind him and I think they win less games that way anyway.

abyzmul likes this.
  17. The 1985er

You gain experience by doing. Not watching. Geno would have to be Ryan Lindley bad in order for him to lose the job. Vick was brought in here to push Geno and provide insurance in the event Geno repeats his midseason slump.

18. BrowningNagle

Let's get real here, can we? He wasn't "solid" down the stretch. He was just less terrible than his level of play in his brutal and historically terrible november stretch. (but I don't think it gets much worse than how he played in november, so i suppose by setting that bar as low as he did, of course he would have to look better in december)

19. FJF

Good enough.
    Of course the odds of a 34 year old qb whose game is predicated on mobility and showing a propensity for getting injured while playing on his 3rd team having success are pretty long too.

Looks like we are pretty much screwed.
    someone call idzic,tell him we ran the numbers and we should fold up the tents

20. BrowningNagle

Vick was not brought in here to sit and "push" Geno. He was brought in here to play. Just watch. I would bet my house that if he's healthy- he's starting week 1.

I would also yet again question Rex Ryan's ability to manage an offense and recognize offensive talent if he starts a Geno Smith over a Michael Vick.

Have we not learned anything from the Mark Sanchez debacle? The best way to get the most out of your young QB is not to anoint him the starter despite how terrible he is. You get as much talent as you can at the position and you let it play out as it may. If Geno Smith can't develop and learn by sitting behind Vick - than he can try developing under someone else's dime. Fuck him - he hasn't earned anything.

Big Blocker likes this.