Someone justify the Boyd pick.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MexicanJet, May 10, 2014.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

And people try to claim that Rex doesn't have a lot of influence in the draft.

2. Barcs

Barcs Banned

^LOL at the Rex conspiracy talk still going on at this point after that draft.

OMG, someone justify the Tom Brady pick. Anybody? I just didn't get it. There were obviously higher rated QBs on the board and Kiper knows everything about everyone.

But yeah, many of you obviously know more than a football GM about drafting, so you should put your resumes in. I mean didn't this guy lead his section in scoring?

3. NCJetsfan

Dude, you're wrong. Give it up. You don't throw for over 300 yards, 4-5 TDs, and then rush for another 100 yards and score a TD or 3 in big bowl games when you play badly more than you play well. It's just not true. I saw Boyd every bit as much as you did. He's definitely got his issues, but your blanket statement about him folding under pressure is not accurate. He definitely needs work on reading Ds, and his accuracy. No one's disputing that.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

Sanchez also had one of the worst QBs coaches to ever disgrace the NFL and one of the worst OCs as well, and an idiotic rookie HC who still has no clue how to handle QBs. I'm not a Sanchez fan by any means, and he may not have developed with the greatest QB Coach and OC in league history. The point is that both Lee and MM are very good at developing QBs in addition to there being a lot less pressure because he is a developmental 6th round pick. Geno would have been better off if he didn't have to play last year and could have focused solely on his fundamentals.

5. NCJetsfan

I seriously doubt the scenario you mention happens. If Geno wins the starting job then falters badly, Vick will replace him. If Vick then is injured or falters badly, I think they would go back to Geno. I can't see them turning to Boyd unless both Geno and Vick were injured and couldn't play.

6. NCJetsfan

Like you said, we'll see regarding Fales, but I doubt he succeeds. He's gonna be playing outside in Chicago with swirling winds. The same thing when they play in GB. He'll get to play in a dome in Minny and Detroit, but most of the games will be outside in the elements, and that's when he will be exposed.

7. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Boyd has a long road to haul. Like a lot of other Qbs drafted in the late rounds or UFAs he won't get much or any chance of failure. Unlike Mark did with over 60 starts until they finally cut him. First Boyd will have to pick up the offense and look good in practice. If he starts throwing picks he won't get a chance to right a wrong. Then he will have to look good in exhibition games. Kind of what Simms did. He impressed coaches in practice and then played well in games. And still he was mostly third string until last season when he was the primary backup. And just did a little mop up duty never got a start. Now Simms is back to 3rd string if he makes the team. Look at Greg McElroy who just retired. He was 3rd string, got one start, then was cut and spent all of last season on the Cincy PS. He just announced his retirement after only 3 seasons. The funny thing is the Bengals just drafted AJ McCarron a similar player to Greg who also starred at Alabama.

74 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I thought you liked Boyd, obviously you don't think he can make it so fast. Geno was put in and had his chance and he was allowed to complete the season. So by your reasoning, you put in the guy that you have benched so you can bench him again?. The Jets might as well pick up an emergency vet QB.

9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes, but isn't everyone saying because Geno "had his first year under his belt" i.e. got some firsthand experience he will in fact be better for it??? I think they won't stop developing Boyd if he steps in for Geno. He is big and physical so there is low risk of injury. Maybe the Jets did not take a QB earlier only because they figured they had to get that CB etc. out of the way.

10. NCJetsfan

I do like Boyd, I just don't think (or at least hope) they have more sense than to rush him like they did Geno. They hampered Geno's development and chances by throwing him to the wolves. He needed to focus on his fundamentals last year, not be worrying about upcoming opponents. Boyd needs the same thing. It's gonna take him some time to adjust to the NFL, the speed of the game, the more complex Ds, and his accuracy issues may be due to some technique flaw that he has to correct. You can't fix fundamentals and technique when you're playing in games. Once you've made substantial progress on resolving those issues, then yes, you can start seeing some action, but the game moves too fast, and you just can't stand out thinking about what you need to do and how to do it. That has to happen naturally and instinctively.

They're not gonna give up on Geno this soon, and not gonna carry 4 QBs on the roster. You can forget about that. At this moment, Geno is their best shot at having their QB of the future. If Boyd develops, great, but I think if he does, it will be at least a year before he's ready to see any game action. He's a developmental prospect, not one they expect immediate results from. I strongly believe that if Geno and Vick struggle, they'll keep going back and forth between the two in hopes that one will right the ship. The only way I think Boyd will see action is if he develops a lot quicker than I think he will and both Geno and Vick are injured and have to miss one game. I both are injured so badly that they will have to miss multiple games, then the Jets may release a player and bring in a vet QB off the street, but I think that would be the only scenario in which that would happen.

11. NCJetsfan

He will be better for it in some ways, and probably worse off for it in others. He's used to the speed of the game and thankfully, improved as the season wound down. His confidence still may have taken a bit of a hit, and because he had to focus on the upcoming opponent each week, he didn't get to spend the time and energy working on correcting his flaws and fundamentals as he otherwise would have. Hopefully, Geno focused on those things a lot during the off season. I almost hope that Vick does win the starting job in TC so Geno can focus more on fixing his fundamentals. I think that would benefit Geno a lot in fixing his fundamentals. My only concern would be that he would possibly take a hit to his confidence.

IMO the best thing in the world for Boyd is to sit and never have to play ths year.

12. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

if Rex was making picks based on where his son plays then why didn't we take Martavis Bryant who was a WR at Clemson when he was sat on the board (and who I actually wish we had drafted)?

what a load of nonsense, Boyd was ridiculous value at that spot (at the end of the 6th round FFS - how many 6th rounders even make the team?)

13. NCJetsfan

I'm not saying that because Rex's son goes to Clemson, that's the only reason the Jets took him. I agree that he was a great value there and is a decent to good prospect. I think they didn't take Bryant because he sucks. He's Hill 2.0, and maybe even worse, because based on what I've read he's immature and doesn't have the work ethic that Hill has.

14. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

my reply was more aimed at the guy you replied to but the board doesn't quote quotes - which is always a bit frustrating.

15. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Good point, that's going to be a problem for him and I'm sure it's the reason why the Jets weren't interested. Also, Minny plays outside for the next two years.

16. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Here's my two cents on the Boyd drafting:

They want some competition at the developmental / #3 QB spot, and Boyd will provide that. They don't want to just automatically hand Simms the #3 spot, or take an undrafted free agent rookie QB to compete against him (because Simms would easily win, and that's not much better than having no competition.)

I think that the organization would prefer it if Geno Smith can establish himself as the starting QB and be successful. But you want backup plans, especially since Vick is a short-term solution (either as a starter, or as a backup player.) After he leaves, it would be nice to have 3 QBs, Smith with starting experience; and two others with 1 and 2 years of experience in the system.

6th round picks tend to be very unlikely to make teams, so it's not a huge sacrifice to take a QB there. We'll still sign undrafted free agents, and can still get lucky there as well in terms of wide receivers and cornerbacks. When you don't have an established starter, it probably makes more sense to use a 6th rounder on a guy who has a 50/50 shot of being your 3rd string QB, rather than on a random WR or DB who has a chance of being mainly a special teams player. Not developing other QBs was a problem of the last GM, and I think it makes sense not to repeat that mistake in case things go wrong with Smith and if Vick gets injured. If both of those things happen, our 3rd stringer will be playing- and so it makes sense that we have some competition for that spot.

17. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

its a 6th rd pick who cares

18. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

7 pages on a 6th round comp pick lol wow... and the home of the Jets

19. TonyIommi

TonyIommi Active Member

[quote="Vanbiesbrouck, post: 2998923, member: 1942thallhink they look at this like it provides competition for Matt Simms at QB3, and whoever wins, wins. Maybe he spends a year on the practice squad, moves up to # 2/3 QB when Vick leaves after a year, and you have the versatility of him being a physical player who can do some things. Maybe that turns into a WR or something.

Here's a question. In 2013, we took William Campbell, DT, Michigan, in the 6th round.

Did someone jump on TGG to bitch about that then, since we'd just taken Sheldon Richardson too? Probably, because people are idiots.

Sixth round of 2000 draft, Patriots took Tom Brady. They didn't think he'd be a hall of famer, they just took a chance. They didn't know what they had, he was just a tall kid with a big arm who played at Michigan. 14 years later? Best player in franchise history. So, 6th round, you take a shot. Most times it doesn't work out. Sometimes, it does.

Get over yourselves.[/quote]

Bill Belichick didn't know Brady was going to be a hall

20. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Lmao

We have to "justify" the 7th round selection. Come on man!