Someone justify the Boyd pick.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MexicanJet, May 10, 2014.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

It's like buying cheap stock in a startup company. Maybe you make like $20 bucks back, but there's that slim chance you're set for life.

Damn I can do metaphors all night.

2. DisplacedFanInTheAtl

This is a poor analogy. In your example one is immediately able to determine the better deal after the choice has been made. That is not the case in your belief that Boyd is a poorer prospect than the QBs you preferred. It will only be years later that this can be accurately determined. You are well within your rights to prefer a weak armed QB as you 3rd string developmental prospect late round pick as 2 of the 3 SEC QBs are but I'd much rather attempt to develop and coach better accuracy and decision making which is a mental process that to develop a stronger arm which is constrained by the prospects physical abilities.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. buddapaw

buddapaw Well-Known Member

Seriously it is pretty obvious some of you guys just have to hate on anything, I wish some of you would hate air and stop breathing it

pclfan and Jets4eva9011 like this.
  4. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Andrew Luck's biggest criticism was his lack of arm strength. What about Peyton Manning last year? You could visibly see he had a weak arm. I'll take a guy with amazing accuracy but a mediocre arm all day over a guy with an inaccurate cannon. by the way, how did us coaching up that bad decision making and passing inaccuracy work out with Sanchez?

5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I wanna see Smith, Vick and Boyd all in the backfield at the same time just once!

74 likes this.
  6. DisplacedFanInTheAtl

There is a major difference between a 1st and 6th round pick both in assessment and expectation. I hope you do understand this. Using Luck, Manning, and even Sanchez (who all were 1st round projections and selections) as your comparative measuring stick for a late round projected and 6th round selected Boyd again is poor. But let's look at this bad comparison between Sanchez and Boyd that you are making. I acknowledge that we did a terrible job with Sanchez's development. The problem you have when you use what happened with Sanchez as a forecast to what will happen with Boyd is that you ignore important factors that make such a forecast foolish. Sanchez was drafted with the expectation of becoming the starting quarterback and saving the franchise while Boyd is expected to battle for the 3rd string position. Boyd will have more time and patience to correct his weaknesses before he's ever thrown into the fire. And he's only a contingency to Smith anyway.

Again, he was drafted as a 3rd string developmental pick not a 1st string savior. And assuming that because we failed in developing Sanchez means we'll fail in developing Boyd is as sound of thinking as the guy who decides there's no use in asking another girl out because he failed in getting the previous one to say yes.

7. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Well you won me over... what can I say? Usually I go to the bar and work my game until a bang-able chick will follow me home to uhhh... check out my art collection... that is unless it's draft weekend and I'm drinking all night and watching game tape.

Really, I did enjoy very much watching Boyd play in college. I'm a VT fan so I watched a decent amount of Clemson games. The thing is, when I made my grades and lists at every position there were a lot of guys I had ranked higher at QB. Some got drafted, some didn't. Boyd is a Jet now, and I'm stoked, I hope he can iron out his flaws and be a badass starting QB. Don't get me wrong I rated a bunch of guys above him, mathematically (metrically) speaking he does have the odds against him in my eyes. I hope the best though, we need a solid QB. I really believe with a Rex Ryan defense, just a solid to slightly above average QB can bring us a Super Bowl. I am not biased, idc who it is - Geno, Vick, Boyd - just be decent t0 slightly above average and let the defense do the rest.

That said; if I had to bet, I would bet that QB comes in a later draft. Boyd's metric scores were not good. Geno's metric scores were not good. Vick's were terrible -and, coming from VT, I'm a HUGE Mike Vick fan, but it is what it is. Metric analysis is not bullshit. It's the science of looking at past successful players and trying to predict future success from the common traits that those previous players exhibited. It's not exact science, there are always outliers and players that defy the analysis, and therefore regardless of the position there is always hope that a player busts out and fucks shit up, Wes Welker is a really good example.

I don't mind the pick. I really like watching Boyd play in college. I do like him. He's got a turnover/accuracy problem. Pray David Lee can fix it. Regardless its a decent pick, I'll concede that. As a 6th rounder at worst he will be our backup QB. At best he balls out and the sky's the limit.

In my humble opinion, Tom Savage is a much more solid NFL QB prospect than Boyd. We are a solid NFL QB away from a deep playoff/possible Super Bowl run. Well he was taken in the 4th. I like Evans and Saunders but I'd easily trade either one for a possible starting QB... Even so, Fales was taken in the early 6th. I woulda taken him in the 5th no questions asked. His knock is that he's not that mobile and that his arm is weak. However, he's by far the most accurate QB in the class - one of the most accurate college QB's I've ever watched tape on. A big question was his hand size but luckily his hand size measured out pretty good (this is a good sign), considering we run a WCO that relies on extreme accuracy, he would have been a great selection.

Now, before you shit on me, I might not be the best at other positions but I've had a knack for QB lately. I called R Wilson. I called N Foles. Fales got picked up by the Bears. Cutler has not exactly been the epitome of reliable/durable. We may be seeing some of Fales sooner than expected. He's accurate as fuck and a general, I think he will rise to the occassion. We shall see!

#107 74, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
    NYJetsO12 and Jets69 like this.
  8. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I think this is an excellent point. I'll qualify that by saying I don't know enough about Boyd to say whether or not he is a similar player to Geno, but having the same sort of player come in off the bench would help an offense to remain in sync. Remember when we had Vinny backing up Chad? Hackett's offense was built specifically for Chad and he couldn't fit Vinny in when Chad went down in 2003. That might be as much a comment on Hackett, of course (incredibly, I remember Hackett saying that he was proud of the adjustments he made with Vinny in the game. He considered it to be among his best work as a coach.)

9. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

The guy is a legit draft pick. He'll probably end up on the practice squad. And I think if he were given a real chance to play he would do alright. But to me not the way you choose your players. I don't like it. It also shows me a lack of leadership coming from Idzik. It's ok to take a player who the HC likes talent wise and who can fit into a scheme. There should be great communication between the two of them. But this is bush league stuff.

10. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Murray & McCarron: so-so arms (i.e. throwing the 'out' pattern in the cold/windy N.E. in Nov./Dec.). McElroni 2.0

Mettenberger: big arm but sloow delivery. Like McCarron, had NFL talent to work behind. Damaged goods (like Murray). Character issues.

6th round pick: Tom Brady's are 1-in-a-100 anomalies, so cut out the stress and live longer: expect nothing out of these low pick reaches; they're all 'flawed' one way or another. And it's not like Tajh is Spurgeon Wynn : )

#110 joe, May 11, 2014
  11. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I'm sure if Rex wanted to draft Jimmy McDickslap from East Bumfuck U, Idzik would have been like I don't think so. I'm sure Idzik has to ok the pick, and honestly with 11 other picks who cares if Rex spends a 6th round comp pick on a guy he is high on.

74 likes this.
  12. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

The title for this thread should read, can someone not justify not picking Boyd, dude should easily beat out Simms, has more upside, mobile, good arm, worth a chance

13. Pavelboca

Pavelboca Active Member

I liked Fales too. Ah well. Doubt either of these QBs are franchise guys.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Giving Rex a pick in a 12 pick draft is not a bad idea at all. It's one of the ways to reduce the chances of an over-engineered draft. Rex is part of the team structure but he also has preferences for players and allowing him one pick in a deep draft is a good release mechanism.

I was never fond of the Rex gets a pick every draft approach that Tanny had but that was mainly because the Jets never had many draft picks to begin with and clearly did not respect the later rounds of the process.

15. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Again the guy was a decent Qb in a good program so I have no problem with selecting him. And the Jets had a need for another Qb in camp. They always carry four. Sometimes a UFA. But let's be professional and take a player because of his evaluation plus a need. Not because the HC likes the guy because his son plays on the same team. But I think BB actually brought a guy into camp (and he might have made the team) because his son who played on Rutgers recommended him. It does give the org some inside info on the player. And chances are Rex's son has a future in football if he wants one. He might know what he's talking about. Of course Idzik's son played for Wake Forest so maybe he gave his dad some info on teammates and opponents.

#115 pclfan, May 11, 2014
  16. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I did find this article about Belichick and his Rutgers connection. His son Steve (whose now a coach with NEP) was a player on Rutgers and since then BB has drafted and signed Rutgers players who were teammates with his son. http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...4742784/patriots-rutgers-connection-runs-deep I was hoping yesterday the Jets would not draft Boyd and when they did I wasn't surprised. And while I've criticized the Jets (a little) for taking him apparently it's not that unusual for a team to draft a player when they have a personal connection. Maybe it helps in evaluating the guy when someone you know has seen him up close and personal.

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Why the hate.

18. NYJetsO12

First rate analysis. My only problem with your post is what we are all being led to believe i.e. that Boyd is not a first string savior. He is really both, because if Simms is traded and Geno benched you are left with Vick who might get injured in any game. Fairly or unfairly they will throw in Boyd for the same trial by fire that Geno went through. This might happen unless they pick up an UDFA, another team trade, or get someone from the CFL. Of course, this all goes out the window if Geno wins and Vick stays healthy.

19. NYJetsO12

No one should "shit" on anyone and I thought you made a real studious post. To tell you the truth, my head is still spinning from from a draft that will have a big impact on Jets future. I have personally learned a lot more from this whole second year of Idzik process and discussions in TGG. If another QB from your list was taken I might have been just as happy.

74 likes this.
  20. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

I'll keep it simple: It was the 6th round and he might be better than our starter right now