Someone justify the Boyd pick.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MexicanJet, May 10, 2014.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This some of the hottest air I've seen. Asking for justification for a 6th round pick is a classic case of someone posting just to see their name appear on the screen.

JetBlue likes this.
  2. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

We only want black QB's

Sec124DieHard and 74 like this.
  3. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I think the OP point was not that we wasted a 6th round pick but that we passed on a lot of better QB prospects that could have been easily had. For example, AJ McCarron is twice the QB as Boyd and was picked only a round earlier in the 5th; a lot of posters on here would argue that he's one of the best QB's in this class. David Fales is one of my favorites and he went in the 6th about 30 picks earlier, and I would argue that Fales is better than McCarron. Connor Shaw is better than Boyd and went undrafted. I would have ever rather taken a gamble on an under the radar guy with huge upside like Dustin Vaughan or maybe possibly even Kory Faulkner who both also went undrafted.

4. The idiotic whiners are out in full force.

I've been around this board for alot of drafts over the years & the comments are always the same. Some of you just like to bitch for the sake of bitching.Others get too attached to specific players & refuse to accept alternative selections.

Newsflash: 99.9% of the time the player you want is NOT getting selected by the Jets

5. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

Or they took him for the 8 other reasons you posted.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

i dislike a bunch of Jets fans...Educate yourselves about this game.

7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. BroadwayAaron

McCarron has character issues according to everyone and their mother that met with him pre-draft. It's no shock whatsoever that Idzik steered clear of him. You have know way of knowing that Fales wasn't going to be the pick, and would you have really wanted him to be the pick in the 5th? Especially coming from a guy who has been preaching the whole "reach" thing? Shaw is better... yet went undrafted. So I guess every other team in the league thought just as highly of him as we did. Then two other guys who went undrafted... that was for a reason.

9. BroadwayAaron

To add to this... 99.9% of the time that can't-miss, diamond in the rough sleeper you preach about ends up being a turd.

10. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

When you're a UDFA you have to take advantage of your chances, however they come. Nobody gave McElroy a second chance when he was a human pinata against San Diego. When you're a second round pick that has mobility to make plays even when you don't throw well you're going to get more chances. And Geno had some decent games and some god-awful games.

11. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Romo was undrafted. Brady was a sixth rounder. The league passed on both those guys, were they right? So we should just dismiss trying to find the next one because the odds are low? That's bullshit man. The league has a notorious reputation for mis-judging QB talent. Gabbert and Locker were both taken in the top ten yet Foles and Wilson were scoffed at as 3rd rounders. This was a super deep draft with a lot of good QB prospects, a few of them were gonna drop way farther than is normally the case. No way Fales was gonna be our pick, this FO likes the cannon-arm guys no matter how inaccurate they are. I was more mad that we passed on Campanaro who got drafted 5 slots later because I think he's the next Edelman/Cobb/Welker type of receiver.

#91 74, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The guy was a 3 year starter in a highly successful program. He has an NFL arm. It was a 6th round pick. I don't see how it can be a bad pick when you consider the 3 propositions above.

NYJetsO12 and xmscott like this.
  13. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Because good picks are determined by your favorite football website's mock drafts.

Br4d likes this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

I guess I'll just turn this around:

Justify us taking any of the guys you mentioned in the 5th instead of Boyd in the 6th. If you can come up with something other than "I think these guys will be better than Boyd" I'll listen. But when you're talking 5th and 6th round you can't come up with much more than your preference being the determining factor.

The 1985er likes this.
  15. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Not saying, it's a bad pick. It just wasn't the best.

For example....

I have two cases full of money and you can choose to have one of them;

#1 case is a brand new aluminum briefcase that has $1500 in it a 500 gift card to Macy's .
    #2 case is a genuine italian leather briefcase that has $2000 in it and a 1 oz. gold bar (worth $1000).

You choose case #1. It's a brand new aluminum case. It has $1500 in it. It has a $500 gift card. I don't see how that can be a bad pick considering the 3 propositions above.

16. Br4d

Well this is a silly example. You always take the heavier briefcase! Don't you know anything? :)

74 likes this.
  17. Lindy17

Lindy17 New Member

You can look at the tape. I'm not a scout, so I'm not going to sit here and say he will be terrible down the line. But when pressured, he was not good. thats a fact and doesn't mean he didn't have a good college career... When the first read is gone he was a deer in headlights. He did not go through his reads. Like i said I hope he turns out well but I watched him a lot during his career and he dropped big time for a reason. He almost gave the Ohio State game away by throwing a pick very late in the game. He played bad more than good in big time games. Once again, look how many short throws he made. On the flip side he made some good throws downfield when given time, but you will need to step up in pocket while be ing pressured in the NFL and not lose composure. That can possibly come in time. We shall see... And of course I didn't like him in college. He was a rival, but he's on the Jets now and out of college. I'm rooting for him.

18. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Lol in my mock I had us taking Campanaro in the 5th. http://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/mangoldens-mock.80827/

do I really have to argue that Fales and McCarron are better? I already mentioned that Boyd had one of the highest interception rates in college football. Only two guys were worse, one had a foot injury all year and the other it was first time starting, he had only made 18 total completions in the four previous years. Fales is widely regarded as one of the most accurate college passers ever. McCarron, his merits have been talked to death on here. Yes, I'd take either of them in the 5th over Boyd in the 6th. It's not even close my man.

#98 74, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
  19. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I understand your metaphor but I think the difference in overall value might not be quite so stark. In fact it's more like would you rather have 10k in cash or 10.2k in gold. Maybe one is worth a bit more, but one is a lot easier to use.

74 likes this.
  20. Br4d

And a 6th round QB is hard to quantify. Most likely a clipboard holder for a few seasons and then gone but if the switch flicks on for him, well the value can be much more than that.

NYJetsO12 likes this.