Welcome to the Jets, Dexter McDougle CB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, May 9, 2014.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

He went through a very long rehab and is apparently 100% healthy. He has already posted that he is ready for OTA's and minicamp. He has a good history of coming back strong off injuries as well. He broke his hand his junior year and came back VERY STRONG after his rehab. He should be good to go.

2. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Well that's good at least. Still not overly impressed with the pick.

tomdeb likes this.
  3. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Again why do people assume just because we drafted defense with two out of three picks that Rex is in charge of the draft room? As if Idzik was some offensive-crazed nutball getting suppressed by Rex. What offensive skill players did the Seahawks ever draft high anyway, Golden Tate? Wilson was a third-rounder. They traded for Lynch and Harvin and signed Rice in FA. They never had a TE of note.

heartpumpsgreen likes this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Sooo, are we trying to be a hybrid between the Hawks and the Ravens?

5. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

Clyde Gates is obviously a steaming pile of dog shit but David Nelson is a solid #3 WR.

6. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

We're trying to get players to Play Like a Jet.

That's what Idzik said in his introductory press conference and he still means it to this day.

7. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Let me guess, is McDougle your cousin or something? Never seen someone so vigorously defend a 3rd round pick that nobody ever hear of--I hope the guy does make it big and with the jets--The "experts" that you ridicule have called this one of the deepest drafts ever--The jets passed on MANY very good players to pick McDougle--Most people on this board are conceding that the jets could have gotten him a couple of rounds later--If you can't admit that and what to continue to believe he is the 2nd coming of Revis go ahead.

8. NYJFan10

I think Nelson's a good 4 to be honest, and Kerley's a good 3. Decker's a 1/2 tweener. They need another legit starting WR to slot everyone into their proper roles. Maybe they'll find a Keenan Allen-type in the later rounds but if not they gotta find something in FA or trade. Stevie Johnson would have been nice if the Bills weren't a division rival.

9. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

sounds like the jets chose this guy at what value he COULD have gotten had he finished his last season rather than treat him as an injured commodity. they like his upside that much, and I'm guessing his acclaimed character didn't hurt either.

he should be expected to become a starter eventually given the place of the investment, wether this year or next. I'll root hard for this guy to become THE guy opposite Milliner, it feels kind of easy to do given his backstory, but my hopes are tempered by realism that he may not be anything worth it at first.

10. Cman68

And what exactly does "Play like a Jet? mean? Considering we haven't won shit in the modern era of football, is "playing like a Jet" something we should be striving for?

11. NYJFan10

The 'experts' on the NFLN and ESPN both praised the pick from what I saw.

12. BakerMaker

To give it your all and leave everything on the field. We are drafting winners and character human beings on our team. No ego, pure guys who will crash into a wall for our head coach. You need to have 53+ committed to one purpose, one goal. Not about the stats or fame, its about reaching the promise land and putting out the best product for Jet fans to be proud of.

Altoona and nycarl like this.
  13. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I like McGill too maybe he'll still be there in the 4th round.

14. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I don't expect many people to be. He was a name that was under the radar that many teams liked. I think Idzik and Co. saw the talent and took a risk that he can stay healthy. If he can, it was a great pick at the right time. The reason many viewed him as a late fifth to sixth rounder is because of that injury and his speed. He is not as fast as the other corners and his injury could pose as a problem if it is not fully healed.

He's healthy and could be a playmaker corner for us for years. Let's see what he does in training camp.

Don't forget, he was brought in for a visit. Apparently the coaching staff, predominantly Rex, loved what they saw.

15. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

Uh, he had 0 INTs and 5 passes defended the entire 2012 season in which he started every game. Just some scary food for thought.

16. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Hill was drafted on his blocking ability. The Jets had a ton of injuries which thrust him into being our predominant receiver and no doubt he failed miserably.

However, if the team can get back to their intentions with running, running, running, running, and more running, Hill will contribute with blocks and should be ok.

This aside, I don't get the selection for this particular player.

17. BakerMaker

Why throw against him if you can throw on everybody else. 4-8 team. 2011....they went 2-10. The talent on that team was pretty dire to say the least.

18. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

My point, which you clearly missed, is that it doesn't matter what any of us think. It doesn't matter what the media thinks. It doesn't.

None of us know exactly where that kid could have been picked, maybe the Jets had some inside information, maybe they just loved this kid that much and wanted to make sure he was theirs.

To say that nobody has heard of this kid is fucking ignorant. I can promise you I know at least five people on this forum that knows a good amount about this kid, you have no clue.

So all you are doing is assuming that everyone is as clueless as you, which isn't the case. Stop being ignorant.

The only thing that matters is if this kid can produce and contribute to this team. They drafted him in the 3rd so they obviously seem to think that they can get something good from this kid. So, until we know one way or another, how about you step back from that cliff and realize that you are always going to miss out on a lot of quality players in this draft. That is a given, so why stress it. You seem to think that there a bunch of kids that are much better than McDougle.

The Jets don't seem to agree with you. If I had to put faith in you or the Jets organization, I will go with the Jets outlook everytime.

Altoona likes this.
  19. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

Don't you know that its literally impossible for Idzik to draft a defensive pick of his own will? we haven't drafted a weapon in forever and that is the only circumstance that matters so he obviously WANTS to go offense but unfortunately he is just a puppet under Rex's thumb. Every defensive pick proves this, EVREY SINGLE ONE. It can't be that he genuinely believed the other pieces available at the time of the pick weren't as valuable or that even if he wanted a weapon earlier a trade couldn't be made or that he just liked this guys upside and character over other picks despite a different set of values on draft sites, ITS ALL REX.

REX is an addict and Idzik his BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!

TwoHeadedMonster and tomdeb like this.
  20. Cman68

No, it's about winning the VLT. Its about results. It's about actually winning something. It's NOT about moral victories. Your definition would fit well with the Chicago Cubs but at some point, even those long tortured fans will need to see results. You can only sell potential for so long. At some point, you have to show results and you don't get another 4 decades to do it.