Geno or Vick? Who do you think becomes starter week 1?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Apr 17, 2014.

?

Geno or Vick? Who starts week 1 of 2014 season

1. Geno

88 vote(s)
    56.1%
  2. Vick

59 vote(s)
    37.6%
  3. Matt Simms?!?

10 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I do agree last year he wasn't ready. I really think that his footwork issues were a direct result of his gunshy attitude though, because at his worst, you could see he was already panicking during his drop back. I watched every game from last year a second time, but usually only a day or two after it originally aired. I'm going to go back and watch all 16 in progression at some point so I can watch some of our rookies throughout the season, so I think I will have a better idea of what I think of Geno after that. I definitely remember thinking Geno's mechanics looked so much better as he regained confidence, which happened to directly coincide with the return of a couple receiving weapons. When the receivers were missing, teams cheated towards the run more, thus giving us a lot of 3rd and long's. When we got Kerley and Winslow back, our run game benefited, thus giving Geno less 3rd and long situations. I'm not making grand predictions about Geno's development, and I think there is a legitimate chance Vick wins out, but if Geno keeps it close like I think he will, it will be better for him to be out there getting the experience. I'd love to have Geno start, and bring Vick in for read option and wildcat plays. If Vick ends up only being a backup, the risk of him taking a hit or two is not so dire. Vick isn't as durable as Brad Smith, but he has a much better arm and could create some real issues. I wouldn't be surprised to see our game plan vs the Pats consist of lots of runs, screens, and read option/wildcat with Vick and CJ and Powell.

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I agree. Question is what round and I think that depends on the BPA at 18. Ideally you stick to CB and Safety plan (or WR). But let's say very hypothetically Manziel is at 18. Who do you trade for him?

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Your first paragraph is based on a misreading of my post. I said they go for the shortest deals that make sense. I referred to the Colon situation as an example. I did not say they do not go longer when it makes sense to do so.

I also do not think it a given that Vick will not last a whole season.

4. Big Blocker

Then why did hte Jets sign him?

5. Big Blocker

For various reasons I felt it made more sense for the Jets to get a proven vet Qb than go Qb with a high pick in the draft. In one sense they did that picking Vick, but Vick is somewhat problematic given his age and injury history. Ideally a vet would have been at least a couple of years younger and less prone to injury. The relevance is those factors make Vick an unlikely candidate to even be on the team in 16, and perhaps not even 15.

But... for this year, now that they signed Vick, and with all the other needs elsewhere, I don't see a high pick going to Qb this draft.

6. Big Blocker

Actually. while there are significant differences between them, I thought Smith's main problem last year was similar to Sanchez's, and that was not reading the pass D well. Too many picks were passed to defenders who it did not seem Smith even saw.

#126 Big Blocker, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

One thing that needs to be pointed out is the Jets finished (8-8) with overall TERRIBLE QB play in 2013. Everyone knows Vick is not a Top QB anymore (or maybe ever), but he is better than what the Jets had in 2013 for sure. The question is, can Geno raise his game and be better than Vick can be this year? The Jets hope that answer is yes, but if not, Vick will be there to play.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

It all starts with footwork and going through progressions on time. Those two are directly related and getting through progressions on time is directly related to reading defenses.

Geno has a long way to go IMO.

9. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I don't see the point in giving Vick all the first team reps in the offseason, just for him to get hurt by week 5.

Go in with Geno as the starter, and if he crashes and burns, you have a reliable backup in Michael Vick.

10. Big Blocker

I totally agree he's got a long way to go. Too much was made of the last four games last season. While he was more effective than he was midseason, I did not see a basis for confidence in him going forward. It seemed more a combination of the CS limiting his options, poor pass D's in the opponents, even opponents who were folding as their seasons ended, and Smith running the ball more, which to me has obvious downside potential. It was not Smith passing the ball better against quality opponents, that's for sure.

NotSatoshiNakamoto likes this.
  11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Why would vick get all of the 1st team snaps?

12. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I guess that's a good point now that I think about it. They'll split first team snaps until a winner is named.

Disregard my post lol, its early.

13. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Vick doesn't even need that many reps at all. He's a vet that understands MM's offense and it's terminologies. He's brought in to push Geno and play if Geno gets hurt or regresses. Geno needs the reps. Vick will be fine.

14. Terminated117

Terminated117 Active Member

"Go in with Geno as the starter, and if he crashes and burns, you have a reliable backup in Michael Vick."

jcass10 does have a point tho. Geno should start and if he sucks it up, at least we have Vick whom is seasoned in a MM offense to takeover and try to make something of the season (barring he doesn't get injured himself). Then we can go QB shopping in 2015 FA or draft

The 1985er likes this.
  15. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

16. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

Don't know if it was posted here but

"Geno on receivers: "The guys that we had last year were more than viable options, I think it all came down to me honestly." #nyj"

"Geno Smith on cutting down turnovers from last season: Says he watched the film "over and over and over... as painful as it is." #nyj"

At the very least it's nice to see he's a guy who doesn't put blame on anyone else and it looks like he's trying hard to improve.

17. Big Blocker

How does what Smith said show that he's trying hard to improve?

18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You miss the "watching film over and over and over" part?

MoWilkNYJ likes this.
  19. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I like that he's accountable. I agree with his statements 100%. The receivers weren't great but they weren't that terrible for him to have performed the way he did. Hopefully all that film watching will translate on to the field in '14.

20. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Sanchez said the same thing every year too. Let's wait until we actually see it.