Geno or Vick? Who do you think becomes starter week 1?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Apr 17, 2014.

?

Geno or Vick? Who starts week 1 of 2014 season

1. Geno

88 vote(s)
    56.1%
  2. Vick

59 vote(s)
    37.6%
  3. Matt Simms?!?

10 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I agree with this. Vick is no all star, and he was brought in to genuinely compete, but based on what I've seen of Vick he does not have a better chance to win than Geno. I've been watching game tape trying to focus on Stephen Hill, and I'm less sure he is so bad as people say. I haven't gotten through much yet but I see him running decent routes and catching with his hands so far, and I saw him get open a bit but chemistry between he and Geno hasn't really developed. I'll try and see what he looks like as the season develops (2013 season).

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

It will be really close in training camp.

But even if Geno edges Vick I'd still like Vick to start. That would give our very young QB a chance to sit and watch how a pro's pro goes about his business in team meetings, on the practice field, and in the heat of battle. Let Geno listen in on MM yelling at and talking to Vick in between plays, stuff like that.

Have Geno see and learn as much as possible before Vick suffers his annual season ending injury in game 3 or 4.

Bringing Vick in to watch Geno play would be a huge waste of a golden learning opportunity for the future of our franchise.

3. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

thats certainly a worthwhile option under that scenario, its especially a good one if Vick gets hold of a leadership position within the franchise just by doing what he's doing.

an opportunity to sit and digest might be good for him, play that idea by ear though.

4. MaximusD163

I'd have agreed with this if Geno was a rookie, but at this point he's been on the field for a whole season and unless Vick blows him out of the water in camp, I feel like sitting Geno will stunt his growth more than anything. Now, the more experience the better for Geno, and the more chemistry with his receivers the better.

The 1985er likes this.
  5. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Geno will get every chance to keep the job at first going into week 1 if he shits the bed by week 6 he will def be pulled and Vick will enter and get his chance.I just can't see Idzik doing to Geno what Mr T and company did to Sanchez over the years.I mean id like to atleast give Idzik the benefit of the doubt that he won't undermine the QB he drafted even though signing Vick can't give Geno a whole lot of confidence going into his second season.Why must Jets QBs always be looking over there shoulder?

#65 LongIslandBlitz, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    The 1985er likes this.
  6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

So even if Geno wins the competition in training camp you want to send the wrong message that it doesn't matter and he is still going to sit?
    And what if Vick just happens to not get hurt and plays just good enough to not give a reason to pull him but just bad enough that they miss the playoffs?

7. MaximusD163

Yeah not exactly a foolproof plan there.

8. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Geno was a different QB when the weapons were healthy. If Kerley stays healthy and we add a WR and TE in the draft then I fully expect him to thrive.

It would be exciting to see what Vick could do with that type of offense around him but he wouldnt last more then 5 games even with a much better o-line in front of him.

An o-line cant protect him from a hamstring pull.

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I respect your opinion and often agree with you but I read this and wonder if you completely erased the 2013 season from memory because geno was really really bad last year for the most part.

It's easy to lose your job to injury when your replacement lights it up.

10. MaximusD163

Geno made rookie mistakes and took a little time adjusting to the speed of the pros. He got gun-shy, but only after a few games with no legitimate weapons. Holmes was way slower in 2013 than ever before, you can see it plain as day. Kerley was out for a couple weeks and his favorite target, Winslow, was suspended for four games. Ivory can barely catch the ball when it's punched in his gut his hands are so bad, so Powell was one of his best receiving options at times. You'd get gun-shy too if you were constantly getting rushed because your receivers took so long getting open. He really turned it around as his guys came back though. He got some good chemistry with Nelson going, and Kerley and Cumberland at the end of the year. Holmes never go open, so take him out and throw in Decker who is open a lot, and the receiving corp is already much improved. Giving him a nice RB receiving option in CJ won't hurt either.

11. MaximusD163

In college Geno would have been able to elude pressure by backing up, but in the NFL they are too fast and you just end up losing yardage. Those are the kind of things you get better at with time. He has weapons now, I'm not expecting pro-bowler, but a decent game manager with a nice arm and some mobility. We'll play our shut down defense and get a lot of production out of the backfield, and Geno will probably play well.

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

First of all, 'winning the competition' in training camp is not cut and dry. It's a gray area brought on by two QBs taking a few snaps in a few pre season games. There's still debate over who won last year's 'battle'.

Geno 'watching' an all pro QB for a few games or a full season would not be the end of the world. Heck, Rogers 'watched' for what? 5 years? And if Vick stays healthy and plays well enough to keep the job then the Jets are most likely in the POs and Rex is most likely our HC next year, so that's not so bad either.

If Geno's rookie season was 2 years ago and he spent last year watching/learning from Vick, we'd all think Geno is in a really good position to take over and lead the team.

Vick is on a one year contract. Use him.

13. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

I think most (anti-geno) fans on this forum are making assumptions based on the results of last season. Sure Geno threw nearly twice as many interceptions as touchdowns, but you have to take into account it was Geno's rookie season in a complex MM offense with a starting wr corp that was wildly inconsistent, and lacluster at that. In vicks case... well, he got injured. At this point in time, Vick is "100%", and with his veteran status and familiarity of MM's offense, he is likely regarded as the better of the two. However, I think it is fair to assume that geno will be an improved qb this year considering he will be more familiar with the offense and has better weapons at his disposal.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk

14. MaximusD163

If you're comparing a 33 year old Michael Vick to a 35 year old Brett Favre, you need a reality check. Vick is no all pro dude. He some pretty good years but he was never an all pro, look it up. All pro for fantasy football maybe.

15. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

So you want to change the "what ifs" now. You clearly stated in your post I replied to that Geno wins the competition and I was replying to that.

Last year does not have any bearing since one of the parties was injured.
    I also never said Geno watching for a year was the end of the world but if Geno does win the competition then I think he should be out there, period.

The length of Vick's contract is also a non factor, if Geno is starting Vick is the vet back up who can mentor, if Vick is starting he can still help Geno's progression. The fact his contract is only 1 year does not change this.

#75 The Waterboy, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    The 1985er likes this.
  16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

My opinion is based on where I think the Jets are with Geno at this point. I think they're unsure if he has what it takes but intrigued by the upside. I think they got Michael Vick because it is obvious to all that if Geno can't step it up then the Jets can't go with him for a full season again next year. They had to have a veteran option to push Geno and to play if Geno just couldn't turn the corner and become a decent QB.

Geno's bad year, and it was a bad rookie season, could be indicative of his inability to play QB at the NFL level or it could be that he didn't have much talent around him and he was learning a new offense and he got less work in the system than he should have because he was going up against an incumbent that the Jets gave half the work too and then he got hurt in camp early on.

We just don't know where Geno's ceiling is based on his floor last year.

The 1985er likes this.
  17. mgjetman22

mgjetman22 Active Member

That's what scares me. Marginal improvement is not enough. That 14 int's in a row was the hardest thing to watch as a Jet fan that I can remember. I know our D was good, just not after being on the field for 3/4 of the game. Geno looked lost in the pocket because he can't read defenses. At the end of the year they told him to run if his ONE read was covered and this contributed to him looking better.This year teams will game-plan for that.

I do not like Vick but I think he beats out Geno easily. On a side note, for the sake of my favorite team I hope Geno proves me and all the nay-sayers wrong.

18. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Only problem I have with Vick starting is we waste another year... Vick is 34 and is only going to play here in 2014.. 2015 rolls around and we are back at square one... We are going to be to good to get a Top 10 pick so figure we pick around 15-22 next year... Not getting Winston of Mariota with that pick... Do we give Geno another shot at that point, or draft another QB?

I really think they need to let Geno start, and see how he can do with this upgraded offense they have put around him. I am looking for long term success not short term... Geno is better for the long term success of this team.

19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

You left out who Vick lost his job to. Turns out it was one of the best Qb's in the league. A far better player than Smith.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Vick's 5-11 in his last 16 starts. He was 2-4 when he got hurt and lost his job. The Eagles then made the playoffs with an 8-2 run.

Michael Vick was a decent but not great QB at one point in his career. He's barely decent now. If Geno can't beat him out then the Jets are likely drafting a QB in the 2015 draft, assuming they didn't take one at some point this year.