Geno or Vick? Who do you think becomes starter week 1?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Apr 17, 2014.

?

Geno or Vick? Who starts week 1 of 2014 season

1. Geno

88 vote(s)
    56.1%
  2. Vick

59 vote(s)
    37.6%
  3. Matt Simms?!?

10 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

This is the part about the current situation at Qb that concerns me. I liked the Vick pickup because it gives us all as fans protection from the possibility that the Jets would go into the season with only Smith and Simms, Smith then goes on to suck, Simms does not pick it up, and once more another sad season would unfold. But were that to occur, at least the Jets would know that next off season they were really going to have to find a new Qb.

Now we see the team sign Vick, and if somehow the remaining holes in the starting roster are filled, this team could be competitive this year. With Vick. As a fan, I prefer this very much to going into the season with only Smith and Simms.

But... the less we see of Smith this coming season, the less there will be to go on in terms of whether he is the medium term answer at qb. Meanwhile I just don't see Vick lasting under the best of circumstances past 15.

In short while I like the Vick signing in the short run, I don't see how it helps answer where the team will be at Qb next off season.

Perhaps the CS might see enough good or bad in Smith during practice and limited duty even if Vick starts. But I am doubtful about that.

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

This is the key. We can all quibble about the exact spread acceptable but I think a Smith 75 gets him the job over a Vick 85. When you have one guy who is probably past his prime and another climbing, you go with the guy moving up.

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Vick is only on a 1 yr deal.
    As others have said, he'd have to completely outperform Geno to get the nod. Vick would have to look amazing, or Geno look terrible, to move forward with Vick for only 1 season.

That said, I expect Geno will be the starter. Where Vick could get action is if Geno hits another mid season slump again like last year, then we'll have a viable option to temporarily bench him.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

unless geno improved by leaps and bounds in the offseason I don't see how he can beat out a healthy vick in a fair competition.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't think this is going to be a true competition at the end of the day. If Geno Smith shows any marginal improvement, he will start. I don't think it has to be leaps and bounds.

JetLifeLo likes this.
  6. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

The way it should be.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I'll bet the players would disagree. most prefer to have the best qb play

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I would agree if he backed up Sanchez last year, but he started 16 games. He needs to be able to take the next step this Summer and outplay Vick, who is not the QB he was.

9. Animosity

Animosity Member

If it's a true QB competition, Vick will win. Vick out there will give Chris Johnson WIDE OPEN LANES to run.

10. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

How can you claim it was a staged competition when it never even ended legitimately?

11. MaximusD163

I think a lot of people are assuming Vick will be doing a lot of running, but I don't think that is the case. He is 33 with a significant injury history. I think people are over estimating how good he is and how much of a threat he will be to run the ball.

12. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I want Geno to win the competition and get the starting job as he is our future. But I believe if it is really a competition, Vick has a higher chance of winning it.

13. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I don't think we can assess Geno on last season's performance. Even when he was playing decent ball. The Jets offense really had no receiving talent last year. Now that they have added Johnson (Pass Catching Rb) Decker, and possibly draft picks, I think we will be able to determine what type of QB he is.

Having said this, I believe that the Jets want Geno to win, but Vick will start the season. Geno will replace Vick midseason similar to Nick Foles last year.

14. Animosity

Animosity Member

A 33 year old Vick can still do this with a 2nd string RB.

15. MaximusD163

He's also even better at doing this 3 years older.

16. Animosity

Animosity Member

I don't think anyone is expecting the 24 year old lighting fast Vick. But at 33 years of age, he is still one of the fastest guys out there.

17. MaximusD163

If there is a major risk of injury every time he runs, the coaching staff isn't going to run him often. Mornhinweg was trying to get him to run less back in Philly. Sure he might break a couple decent runs, but defenses are going to know he isn't supposed to run much. He isn't going to be opening up any massive holes for CJ, he's just not that much of a threat that way anymore.

18. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

Not even gonna pretend to know the answer.

contrary to popular belief, i think they will let the best player in camp start. I don't believe in these conspiracy theories that they have decided one way or another. didn't last year and won't this year. Why? Occam's razor. if they have decided one of them is THEIR GUY for this year then they would give the job to THEIR guy immediately. It would make no sense to waste time splitting reps if they are already sure of who they are going with regardless of what results in a competition. in fact it makes all the sense in the world in that scenario to give that player ALL reps since that will help the team gain more chemistry and make that guy they've already made up their mind to start look better.

If they haven't decided it means they honestly haven't made a choice, anything else like a "fake" competition is an illogical waste of time, so I don't believe thats happening at all.

HOPEFULLY its Smith, I'm pulling for Smith and the top brass wants him to win since its better for the organization overall if he does. but thats not guaranteed, they don't WANT to just hand it to smith and brought in a viable alternative to push him. Vick winning the job isn't guaranteed either, sure based on history he should have Smith beat, but theres this thing called development that everybody keeps forgetting about that might not make things as clear cut.

I really don't know who will win, and I feel like the assumptions being made about who's starting are premature at best. I

MaximusD163 likes this.
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Michael Vick is a very inconsistent QB who flashes brilliance at times and outright incompetence at others. He's like Geno's future if Geno stabilizes but doesn't really work out.

He's got a 56.2% completion percentage over a 3030 attempt career. His career rating is 80.9.

People who think he's going to blow Geno out of the water are just nuts. He'd have to come out blazing in camp, looking as good as he ever has to make that a reality. He was one of the few QB's in the NFL who had a lower completion percentage than Geno last year. He did that with DeSean Jackson and LeSean McCoy and Brent Celek and Zach Ertz, not the street meat Geno was throwing too for a lot of the season.

This isn't a Geno apology post. It's a Vick lost his job in Philly for a reason post. Nobody loses their job because of a mid-season injury if it's really their job.

Jay Bizniss likes this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

If it's a tie between starting Vick or Geno the lowest Wonderlic score wins lol.