Geno or Vick? Who do you think becomes starter week 1?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Apr 17, 2014.

?

Geno or Vick? Who starts week 1 of 2014 season

1. Geno

88 vote(s)
    56.1%
  2. Vick

59 vote(s)
    37.6%
  3. Matt Simms?!?

10 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

No question it is going to be Geno.

2. Terminated117

Terminated117 Active Member

No question?! You think Geno can beat out a vet like Vick in a QB comp, whom is already seasoned in a MM style offense?

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

This is absolute bullshit.

You can not sit here and say that Geno is a better quarterback right now than Michael Vick. I love Geno just as much as the next guy, but to glorify him as a for sure starter is ridiculous. You can not sit here and say "no question" Geno wins. While it is your opinion, you need to take some facts into making that claim. Geno has shown more bad than good. To think that he will absolutely beat out Vick is absurd. Is it possible? Absolutely. Is it for sure? No way.

4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I am not a big Vick fan but from what i saw lat season of Geno no way he beats out Vick. He will play has Vick every played 16 games? We need a vastly improved Geno if Vick starts or not.

5. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

It was not staged last year. If Sanchez didn't get hurt he started week 1 last season.

6. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

I think Vick might be our starter, and honestly, I'm starting to like that.

If Vick can finally realize that he doesn't need to do all these extra moves to help us and instead give us the results he can produce by making good decisions and staying healthy then a Vick/CJ2K combo would be deadly. Give us ODB and good god, that's an offense.

Knowing he has a disgusting defense to fall back on can all give him cushion to kinda chill out a little.

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I have heard nothing about Smith's work to date this off season. How he performs when he shows up at camp is the variable missing from analyzing the OP's question here. But imo it is unlikely he will progress enough to challenge Vick. I do agree that Smith gets the nod if both perform roughly equally, but I don't think that will happen.

Unless the CS and Idzik put their hands on the scales, in which case Smith will start, I think it pretty clear Vick is the better talent, and will start.

mgjetman22 likes this.
  8. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I don't think its as cut and dry as many make it seem.

I think Geno will be afforded every chance to win this competition. I think he goes into the competition as the #1 and he will have to be dethroned. He'll get the majority of the first team reps. If Vick wildly outplays Geno, and Geno shows no progression from last year at all, than Vick will win the starters position.

But lets say hypothetically that they grade Vick and Geno based out of 100 (obviously they are not doing this). If Geno scores an 84 and Vick scores an 86, than Geno will win the starters position. Basically, for Vick to win this competition, he needs to be far and away the better player. It cant be a very close competition or Geno will win based on his upside.

RexontheBeach likes this.
  9. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

I think we all are going about this wrong. I hope Geno comes into camp and just blows Vick away. Because he younger and we would had found our QB for the future.

10. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

this is pretty much my thoughts exactly unless somehow Geno makes huge strides during this offseason. Who knows maybe he just needed the pieces around em

11. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

hahahahaha I'm dying

12. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

No one is going about this wrong. We are all looking at it with an open mind. Geno did not show much of a starting quarterback last season. He was great the last few games, but that's about it. If Michael Vick is healthy, he is a better quarterback, again, all based on Geno's only season, which is all we have to go on. It would be great for Geno to beat him out which we have all said numerous times on here. It is possible and would be a great step in the right direction, but it is also unlikely, considering Geno's body of work.

No one is going about this the wrong way. We are all looking at it with a logical stance.

13. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

If it's close then Geno gets the nod. Geno has to look without a shadow of a doubt completely lost. To lose the job.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Dude's face is like five times too small for his head.

[​IMG]

Poeman likes this.
  15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

hahahaha

16. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

It's not a "no question."

As much as I don't think either of these guys would ever get us or anyone to a super bowl, who I "think it's going to be" is Vick. Who I "think it SHOULD be" is Geno. If you're not drafting a QB in the draft (all signs lead towards a no) and you want to roll with Geno as the "future" then I think he should start.

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Geno Smith HAS to win the starting job. He has to succeed too. That is what is best for the Jets franchise and future. If he doesn't, and Vick beats him out, the Jets must go back to looking at a QB in 2015.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  18. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I don't think losing to Vick indicates that Geno can't be the QB of the future.

19. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Agreed, and thankfully Geno doesnt appear to have the fragile confidence of Mark Sanchez after his benching last year. He bounced back faster and he stuck with the gameplan.

I think Geno can learn alot from Vick, should be a battle though...I think a competitive spirited battle, there wont be animosity between these two.

The 1985er likes this.
  20. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

The thing with Geno is that if he goes into another slump this year (and the one he was in last year with around a 10 Qbr for 3 games---is one of the worst of all time) he's going to again be benched or lose his job. So it will really depend a lot on injuries. As to who starts on opening day. I'm guessing it will be Geno but if Mike Vick is lights out in training camp (and he beat out Foles last year and played well until his injury) then you would hope the Jets go to plan B and start Mike. With CJ, Decker, another tight end and hopefully a decent OL with depth the Jets could show some life on O, have better TOP keep the D off of the field and score TDs. btw I was changing channels and saw a little of Decker's new reality show. His wife was smooching him left and right and it was pretty sickening. Even worse than THE KARDASHIANS and the Ocho Cinco-TO Show.