Are the JETS to trade Kyle Wilson & If so, what is the trade value and positive or negative impacts?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by deeznuts21, Apr 10, 2014.

?

In your opinion when/how would the JETS get more value out of Kyle Wilson?

1. Trade him before the draft.

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Trade him during the draft.

16 vote(s)
    64.0%
  3. Trade him after the draft.

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. What's wrong w/ Darrin Walls & Ellis Lankster? I'm not saying they are pro bowlers or even starters at this stage...but I'd certainly consider them "decent" given their roles.

2. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Agreed and thats why Idzik didnt want to upgrade the position. Is it worth 7-10 million to go from a decent corner to an upper level corner? and not for anything, these upper level corners have their bad days to so its not like signing one will complete absolve the issue.

3. There was a PFF article recently published about how the Jets actually had more success disrupting QBs w/ a 4 man rush than they did blitzing. And if you go back & watch..whenever Sheldon/Wilk/Snacks/Ellis were isolated in "under/1 gap" looks..it was pretty much unblockable.

Now this could mean very little moving forward or it could mean a change in some of the schemes..namely more zone. This would accomplish a few things

1. Let the CBs sit back & make plays on the ball as QBs rush throws to avoid the intense interior rush

2. Keeps the whole defense face up to Qbs who are becoming increased threats to take off w/ the football

3. Eliminate the big play if you tackle well

4. Much cheaper corners

4. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

So true. If we can create a pass rush with 4 men it will leave plenty of bodies to cover the receivers. Thats why I am honestly not to worried about this.

JetLifeLo and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  5. Sloup

Sloup Active Member

I understand the contribution level vs. draft expectation argument, but it's not like they can use the 2010 1st round pick now. Kyle Wilson is just a player on the Jets roster, just like Antonio Allen or Jeremy Kerley. If they see him as a long term fit at the right price, hopefully they can re-sign him in 2015. But, if they think they can get better value by trading him instead of having him on the roster, by all means do it. Personally, I think he should stick around.

6. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Except for last year where we gave up more yards than average.
    We still don't have a decent #2 CB on the team and Milliner, who is still an unknown, is our #1. Walls and Lankster are serviceable subs but they aren't #1s or #2s. Walls had his moments but failed when we tried to use him as a #2 last year. Our pass defense will get wrecked this year if our front seven can't get pressure because that's the only thing that can save our current group.

7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

For better or worse, Rex knows what he has with his slot corner KW and I doubt he's going to open up another can of worms with regard to the slot CB position when he's already got to address the outside CB position--or maybe they already did (at least for 2014) in signing Dimitri Patterson, meaning there's two ways of looking how signing Patterson affects the 2014 "WR or CB?" draft: one is that they're paying Dimitri Patterson $3 million to hopefully hold up physically (so they draft a WR at #18) or two, they draft a CB at #18 and then a WR in the 2nd round in this WR-rich draft.

Much as Rex likes his cornerbacks I don't see Idzik drafting a CB because I don't see Gilbert or Dennard lasting until #18 let alone paying Patterson 3M to sit on the bench meaning that it looks like they'll draft offense at #18 with Milliner/Patterson as the #1 and #2 CBs and with the little beer chaser KW playing the slot. jmho.

#107 joe, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  8. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I'm really excited to see who we get with our 2nd, 3rd, and 4ths. 5 players that are going to be the foundation of the team for a while, in a deep draft. 6 picks in the top 4 rounds is really going to give this team a boost, considering most of them will probably be starting by 2015. If it really is such a deep draft, players picked in the 4th are more likely to be eventual contributors than usual.

9. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I don' think we should trade Wilson for a low round draft pick. He gets the job done as a slot corner. He isn't a playmaker unfortunately and has not lived up to what a 1st round corner should bring to the team considering he struggles mightily on the outside, but I think trading him for a low draft pick creates another hole on the team. I wouldn't trade Wilson but I wouldn't say he lived up to the 1st round draft pick. He's serviceable at what he does and there isn't a reason on his play to get rid of him or a reason a team would really want him either.

10. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Kyle Wilson is finally living up to expectations at nickel so the idea that he will be traded at this point is really funny. He's got the strides and cuts down and even though he still has trouble turning his head, covering those slot guys is more about quick instinct than reacting to the ball in the air, there is barely any time to do it. Kyle will be alright and he's not going anywhere

11. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Actually, that is precisely why he was drafted in the 1st round my friend. Brush up on your jets history before spouting off. Remember getting beat by Manning in the playoffs the winter before. Mainly because of the lack of quality DB's. And a nickel corner plays most of the defensive snaps in Rex's scheme anyways.
    The only knock on KW is that he doesn't make many game changing plays. The slot corner is the hardest place to play in today's NFL.

#111 RochesterJet, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  12. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Draft picks should be stocked up regardless if they fell short of expectations. To give in / up on someone this early is blasphemy. He has done a good job he doesn't make any explosive plays.

13. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Wtf where did this come from? Kyle Wilson is underrated as hell. I dont wanna trade him at all.

14. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

How was Wilson drafted to replace Cro exactly

Greenday4537 likes this.
  15. Greenday4537

Gave me a good chuckle.

16. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I was actually wrong about that,we traded for Cro in March drafted Wilson in April,But still?how do you draft a guys replacment after a month?lol

17. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Because he was a one year rental. Looking back I believe Tannenbaum took the BPA and felt that no matter who we drafted, the player was for the long term future and not going to make a huge impact on the 2010 Jets. They brought in Cromartie because they felt they were VERY close to winning the Super Bowl and if that meant giving up a 2nd round pick for a one year guy, then so be it. Tannenbaum rolled the dice and was banking on a Super Bowl victory that year. Thats why he also threw a 5th rounder for Holmes, signed Jason Taylor, brought in L.T. etc.

Thats also why Tannenbaum found himself in such a hole years later, but im sure he would do it again if he could because you know what? The Jets had a chance to take it all and you never know when that opportunity will come again.

18. Greenday4537

The Wilson pick seemed more like Rex wanting to go to DB heavy schemes to counter the pass-heavy trend.

101GangGreen101 and RochesterJet like this.
  19. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

Thank you for that. It looks like KW has taken more snaps than any other CB at the top as well which could mean other slot CB's could have worse numbers for that many snaps.

20. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

don't forget at the time of that draft wilson was considered a top 20 pick and the 2nd corner rated behind joe haden.. he fell to the jets and

1. revis was looking for a big extension and was already ready for a long holdout.. this was def insurance if they had to trade revis

2. cro was on a 1 year deal at the time

3. for at least one year and it was the one year we were all in for a super bowl run, gave rex 3 cbs under his wing.

i don't think they ever thought it was going to be revis, cro, and wilson for that long… if wilson played good his rookie year i doubt there would have been panic to resign cro