Are the JETS to trade Kyle Wilson & If so, what is the trade value and positive or negative impacts?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by deeznuts21, Apr 10, 2014.

?

In your opinion when/how would the JETS get more value out of Kyle Wilson?

1. Trade him before the draft.

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Trade him during the draft.

16 vote(s)
    64.0%
  3. Trade him after the draft.

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

I'm more comfortable with an improved Allen + Landry than I am with an improved Milliner and whoever else. In Rex's system, Cbs matter more than safeties, too.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Landry isn't a difference maker and he's getting up there in age. Jets need to upgrade the FS position, Jets would be so much better on defense with a ball-hawk FS that has great range and communication skills. I would also consider ILB to have a higher priority as well. There are some CBs the Jets could draft later on.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Correction. If Wilson had played up to his draft status, they would not have needed either Nnamdi or to bring Cro back. But because he did not...

It is idiotic to assert that the Jets intentionally used their first pick in the draft to get a part time role player.

4. 101GangGreen101

I think we are underestimating the importance of the slot position in the NFL today. Teams are running 3 WR sets nowadays. We saw what happened when we battled the Colts in 2009 at their place.

Wilson is a NY Jet, he may have been drafted a few picks too early, but he does his role very good. The numbers back that up.

If the Jets believed Wilson would play #2, they would not have acquired Cro that same off-season, 1 year rental for a 2nd rounder? Really?

FJF likes this.
  5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

KW looks like a little dog chasing after and trying to nip the tires of a car. KW, the little beer chaser

Jets69 and Jay Bizniss like this.
  6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Kyle Wilson's year book photo may explain why he can't cover the outside receiver..

[​IMG]

Charlie Kelly and Jets69 like this.
  7. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

How does yours make sense? you said Cromartie was the long term answer yet they let him hit free agency for weeks. They drafted Wilson to replace Cromartie in year two, Wilson failed miserably, they chased Nnamdi, didnt get him, then decided to bring back Cromartie because Wilson was not the answer.

If Cromartie was the long term solution they would have never let him sit in the open market. Tannenbaum gave up a 2nd round pick for a ONE YEAR deal, Tannenbaum thought he was a corner away from getting over the edge. He felt Cromartie for one year would be worth a 2nd round pick if it meant the Jets could reach the Super Bowl.

8. 101GangGreen101

Because no self respecting team is giving up a freaking 2nd round pick on a 1 yr rental at CB. Wilson barely got an opportunity to even play #2 in 2010 because we had Revis and Cro for the majority of the season, so where are you getting this idea that Kyle Wilson "failed"? Exactly how many TDs did Wilson give up in 2010 that gives you this impression?

I totally disagree with your bolded point. 1 yr rental for a 2nd rounder psh.

Wilson was drafted to play slot.

9. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

IT WAS originally a 1 year rental, I hate to break it to you. Thats why the Jets werent agressive in resigning him, they let him become a free agent. If Wilson had played like a Pro Bowler (or at least resembled a decent starting corner), the Jets are not resigning Cromartie in 2011. They had to resign Cromartie because Wilson was not the answer, if he was, we are not giving Cromartie 10 million a year.

10. 101GangGreen101

Letting Cro go on the open market has nothing to do with Kyle Wilson's role on the team, sorry to break it to you. You need 3 decent CBs in the league today, including one that can play slot. As I told you before, Cro can't play in the slot. Maybe they wanted to gauge Cro's value, everything you said is pure speculation.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/1/14/5303288/kyle-wilson-the-silent-gunner

Just because he doesn't wow you on the stat sheet doesn't mean he sucks. You need to understand, not all CBs can guard slot receivers, it's a whole different position that requires a specific CB with a specific skill-set.

Educate yourself, stop pulling shit out of your ass. I am glad to have Kyle here, a good slot CB is hard to find.

11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Revis is the other part of the puzzle. They already had issues with him.

I don't underestimate the role of the nickel back. he is really the most important sub on D.

He's still a part time player, though.

12. 101GangGreen101

Revis after 2009 changed the way teams play offense, no longer do teams run 2 WR sets. You got more spread offenses that have 3, 4 or even 5 receivers on the field at once. You got more wide receivers lining up in the slot then in time's past, Reggie Wayne when Luck came along did a lot of work in the slot. The Slot CB position has become more valuable in today's NFL. If you don't have a capable slot CB, teams are going to line their best receivers in the slot and defenses are going to have a hard time slowing down that offense.

Not every CB can play in the slot. Cromartie for example cannot. Those shifty receivers, Cro always had trouble guarding them.

My opinion is that Rex Ryan saw this coming before the revolution occurred (end of 2009, 2010 and beyond) and needed a reliable CB in the slot. Wilson is just that.

13. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Wilson is incredibly underrated by our fans. People are quick to forget Aaron Beasley and David Barrett.

14. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Whats your point tho? you told me that Cromartie wasnt a one year rental yet the Jets allowed him to hit free agency? Right or right?

If anything you are the one pulling shit out of your ass.

15. DimsAllmighty

DimsAllmighty Well-Known Member

16. 101GangGreen101

Just because they let him hit FA doesn't mean they were looking to let him go for good, they wanted to gauge his value. They obviously liked Nnamdi also, so maybe they were looking to do a swap.

This again has no bearing on Wilson. His role on this team was to be a slot corner in junction to the spread offenses now populating the NFL. That role was secure.

What part of this don't you understand?

17. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

What are you talking about? You said he was not a one year rental, he clearly was. Secondly, I never said Wilson sucks, I said he failed miserably in 2010 which he did, but he has gotten much better since then. Please dont put words in my mouth.

18. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

As it stands right now, we have ONE other decent CB on the roster IF Milliner continues to improve.

19. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Call me delusional but I believe Rex can get a lot more out of his corners than most other defensive guys in the league can. He does a really good job at putting them in a position to succeed.

I dont think any team has gotten as good CB play as the Jets have gotten since 2009. Its partially because of the talent but also because of the schemes.

20. Kyle Wilson serves his purpose. People get all bent out of shape b/c he isn't a #1 or a #2 CB despite being a first round selection. Maybe thats a fair gripe. But slot corner is an extremely important position in modern football. Especially when you play new England twice a year who loves to flood the middle of the field. He isn't an impact player..that much is for certain. But the Jets could do ALOT worse at the nickel spot.