If we pick up Sidney Rice, do we still draft a WR in 1st round?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KJet84, Apr 5, 2014.

1. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

agreed 100%

2. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Idk why but I have this feeling the Jets are going to trade up or down in the draft.

3. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Which mocks are you looking at? Practically everyone I've seen has us taking a WR.

Even if we take Rice on a one year deal, we should take a WR for the future. These WRs are too good to pass up.

4. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

That I can remember I only seen one mock draft with us taking a CB all others got us taking wr

5. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Look at the rest of his posts

6. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

The good teams draft BPA in the draft. It doesnt matter what position. The key is to stockpile talent. We could have signed DeSean Jackson to pair with Eric Decker, and even so, if the best player on the board when we were up to pick was a Wide Receiver, that would be the guy we should pick. It doesnt matter who you have at that position.

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Only the bottom teams do that where they need to fill every position they have. The teams in the top half pick the bpa among the positions they need to fill.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Why would any player left on the FA scrap heap prevent us from drafting anyone?

9. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

BPA is good when you have a bunch of holes but not to good when you have a glaring hole. I think the Jets DONT go BPA in the first round but after that they will go BPA from there on out.

10. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

You should always take the best football player on the board. You can always find a role for him. The only position where this might not come into play that I can think of would be in the BPA was QB and you already have a young star like Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson, or someone like that at the position.

There is no point in drafting the best corner available (for example) if he there are 4 or 5 guys on the board at other spots who you as a GM, HC, scout, whoever, know are better players then that corner. JMO

11. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Probably when he resembled Randy Moss five years ago and people didn't pay attention to what little he has done since

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i think they do the opposite. they take bpa rounds 1-3 and than target holes with the 9 other picks.

i keep looking at last years draft and think idzic decide before the draft he was going to infuse the oline with youth and than took back to back to back o lineman.

i think he picks a couple of positions and just throws a bunch if picks at them.

j.m.o

13. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

I'd rather re sign Holmes then sign rice. I'd also choose miles Austin over rice.

But for your question, signing rice should have no impact on who we draft. We still need a young receiver with high potential. Lee, cooks, OBJ, Ect.

I wouldn't mind drafting a receiver in the first and second round. For example Imagine having decker/lee/kerley/Mathews.
    Do we need the extra guy? Maybe not but its been a long time since we've had a deep receiving core.

I'm all for stacking our offense with playmakers. I'm sick of turnovers, three and outs and watching the defense suffer from being on the field for 3/4 of the damn game.

Rex is going to field a solid defense no matter what so I think the draft should be all about stacking the offense and setting it up for the future

14. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Isn't that Scotty McKnight?

15. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

16. shelbyblue

shelbyblue Member

Yes Yes and Yes again. We need as many WR's as possible because one will be injured in training camp and one just will not be good enough. No more anemic Playmakers we need plenty of studs.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Where are his 2013 highlights?

18. section134

section134 Active Member

wr-----never have enough---they are always getting hammys leg injuries etc

19. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

How can anybody ever be sure that a guy like Rice is healthy enough. If you did take a chance on him, you would be obliged to draft a top WR anyway. Unless you want to see Clyde Gates starting in Game 4

20. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Your guess is as good as mine.