Jets looking at Chris Johnson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Geno007, Mar 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

I don't know what he was thinking last year honestly. Ivory would bust out a 24 yard run and we wouldn't see him again for 2 quarters... Ivory thrives on momentum and to give him the ball here and there, is not maximizing him to his ability. I don't think much would change in terms of the gameplan if Chris Johnson came to NY.

2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

The Jets aren't getting Johnson. It's not even that great of a pickup for them and how they'd use him. This is leftover time in FA.

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Because Ivory was battling a hamstring issue. They didn't want to overwork him and get him hurt.

Look, I love Ivory just as much as the next guy, but we all know how injury prone he is. If you bring in a guy like Chris Johnson who is a proven workhorse than has never missed a game in his career, you can comfortably shoulder the load to him and not worry about it. We need a guy like Chris Johnson. Him and Ivory would compliment each other very well.

4. Falco21

He's not a free agent lol

He hasn't been one all free agency. Is DeSean Jackson leftover also? This is what they call the second wave. Guys that are released, a lot of times because of contract issues, that can be starters in another offense. Chris Johnson.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I have not read this whole thread, so I would tend to think someone else has already said this, but I can't see why Johnson would want to come to the Jets. He'd want to be the every down back, not playing in platoon with Powell and Ivory. Of course the Jets could unload one of those guys. But I don't recall teams giving firm commitments to FA's that their signing would lead to someone on the roster being cut or traded. Not saying "understandings" never happen. But it is an issue.

6. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

This is just ignorant, man. Ivory had a hamstring in the offseason and anybody that knows shit about that injury knows you don't test it too much too early or it comes right back. They were right to ease him back in and once he did tweak it again in the first quarter of the season anyway. Your argument about this is terrible.

7. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

So if he is fully healthy this offseason and going into next season, let's see what he's got.. He has shown glimpses that he can be he guy pretty much everytime he has touched the ball..

8. JetsNation06

Semantics. You know what I mean. And the point remains the same. DeSean Jackson is a completely different case than Johnson coming off his best season. The Jets had their chance to really upgrade this offense with DJax and they blew that. CJ is past his prime. Pass.

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Peyton Manning is past his prime too.

CJ would be an upgrade over at least 2 of our RB's.

10. JetsNation06

Peyton is not past his prime. Every player's prime is different. Peyton just happens to be the exception to the rule. He's the regining MVP of the NFL. However since he's older when he declines it will be a much quicker end given his advanced age. Yet as of today he's still among the best in the game. CJ hasn't been an impact player in this league for a few years now.

This is becoming a familiar refrain this offseason. The Jets have been "interested" in just about every available player out there. If they were going to upgrade their offense I would've much rather gone with Sproles or DJax over Chris Johnson. I highly doubt Idzik signs CJ unless he comes on an incentive laden contract with little guaranteed money.

11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Jets under Mornhinweg ran the ball 493 times to 480 passes, da fuck you talking about? Now assuming you were correct which clearly you weren't wouldn't you want a back that has the ability to catch passes out of backfield and take it the distance every time?

Your argument on this subject changes every ten minutes and gets worse each time.

12. Falco21

Why is he past his prime?

He's been in the league 7 years and has had over 1,000 yards every season. Last year he had 1,229 yards with his second highest ypc of his entire career. He also finished with 9 TD's.

So a guy that has a 4.9 avg is past his prime.

13. JetsNation06

Unless he comes here for little guaranteed money it just doesn't make sense for the Jets especially with the glut of RB's on the roster. He's just not a good fit here. They'll underutilize him and his skillset and he'll be in a timeshare. Not ideal for him. He's the kind of guy who needs 20+ carries a game to get into a rhythm.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Peyton is clearly past his prime, reigning MVP or not. He's an all time great player so even past his prime he can play at an MVP level. He's also a very cerebral player which helps you beyond your prime. Make no mistake though - he's very clearly past his prime physically.

I agree with you about the Jets being interested in every player. I don't think the media knows a god damn thing and I tend to believe that's a good thing.

I do think CJ could help our offense and I'd like to see how MM could use him. But he isn't even a FA so I don't really know how this is even a thread.

15. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Anyone that thinks CJ2K would be the change of pace back in this equation has a screw loose. I actually love the idea of getting him too. Proven workhorse, and I think an ideal fit for MM. I like Ivory a lot too, but remember when Greene was the change of pace back and was good at it? I think Ivory would be a MUCH better battering ram as that guy coming in to spell CJ2K. I also think, while our line is adequate, nothing great, sure as hell beats what the Titans have had the last few years. I'd be very intrigued to see what CJ2K could do in this offense, no matter how much he always frustrated me as a fantasy owner because he would dance and dance and dance.

16. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

You saying you would take him in general or take him over shady?!?!?

17. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

LT was great for our offense when we picked him up and everyone was saying hes at the end and he's done. This offense needs a pass catching RB and CJ could be great for us. Hes also a great pass blocker.

18. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

MM did the same to shady McCoy. Shady just nasty so you cant tell by his stats

19. Falco21

In general.

I never said "over Shady"

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

LT got a 2 yr 5.1 million dollar contract when he signed on with the Jets. Does anyone expect to pay CJ around the same ball park (more than likely higher)? For a 3DB role? I don't see him coming here to be a starter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.