Are You SURE You REALLY Want Sanchez Off The Jets ??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

You wonder if Rex is going to 'complain' at some point about being given a nominal extension and having a GM being as aggressive as Reggie McKenzie was the last 2 years.

2. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing like I said earlier.. I can't imagen what rex is thinking. 8/8 last year was his best coaching job he's done. It's looks like he's going to be loaded up again with a good amount of unproven talent. I think if geno struggles again this year, Rex will be looking to leave. If he takes steps fwd rex will be fine.

No doubt I would assume right now his frustration is high. He's on the chopping block again, nd again idzick isn't giving him much to work with. I feel bad for rex. While not signing DRC isn't the end of the world, but what it does show is this is another low expectation season. What's not fair is as the jets Hoover around 500(hopefully) everyone screaming for Rex's head not idzick. I think rex is a good coach and deserves a little better than what he's getting.. We have a cap guy not. Gm making decisions. Tough

3. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

We have to see how he drafts. Other teams seem to be able to find starting caliber defensive and offensive players that come in year one and play key roles. Jets need to prove they can evaluate talent properly, not throw away 2nd round picks on projects, and bring in true NFL ready players not special team fillers.

4. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

We are due for a 3rd and 4th round players becoming starter's. Sure would be nice if we can land 3-4 starters right out of the draft. Easier said than done.

5. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Thing is the 4.8 Million (or whatever the actual value is) cap hit is the same if he is cut or renegotiates his contract. If he renegotiated to a 1 million dollar 1 year contract his cap number would be 5.8 million. That 4.8 (or whatever the actual number is) is prorated bonus money that was already paid back at the beginning of the contract. the CBA allows for bonus money, and some other forms of compensation, to be spread out over either a 4 or 6 year period of time (pretty sure it's 4 years but it may be 6.) The only way to lower the 4.8 million cap hit is to renegotiate to a lower multi year contract, which if Sanchez truly believes he's a starter he's not going to renegotiate a multi year very low value contract.
    Cut, traded or renegotiated the cap hit starts at 4.8 million, it never gets lower (except under the aforementioned multi year deal which I don't think the Jets would offer at a rate Sanchez would accept on a multi-year basis as he still views himself as a starter).

6. 85inthehall

the $4.8 is the $1.6 x 3 years left. He stays with the team that is just $1.6 this season...work out $3.2 mil rate for this season with some incentives. If he wins the starting job and plays decent he becomes instantly tradeable and thus you don't have to worry about his contract beyond this season. He plays poorly or doesn't show enough he is cut next year and you take a cap hit -- they have enough cap room to absorb either scenario.

7. 1968jetsfan

So if he was throwing a horrible receiving corp in 2011 and got 32 combined TD's what's his excuse for the other years where he's never thrown more than 17? and again, even with the 32 combined TD's he still had 26 combined Turnovers. that's only a +6.
    Then again, of the 26 TD passes something around 22 of them came against pass defenses that were ranked in the bottom 1/3 of pass defenses and around 1/3 of his TD's passes came in losses where the team was down several scores by the time Sanchez put up the numbers (aka as junc likes to call them, junk time stats).
    But they do still count, but they do need to be taken in context.

And again, it's the QB's job to inspire confidence, not the other way around.

And yes Tom Brady stopped throwing so much that he only racked up 4300+ (with only Edleman being over 1000 yards) yards in the air with 25 TD's to 11 picks. He stopped throwing so much that he had a mere 628 attempts. Yep, he stopped throwing all right....

And I'm not saying I ever expected Sanchez to be a HOF QB, but never the less he is one of the most turnover prone QB's in the NFL and has been every year of his career save 1.

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

he has very few garbage time TDs in his career, he's actually been a bad garbage time QB where many QBs accumulate those meaningless #s he has not for the most part.

2009(1):
    at Oak, led 24-0

2010:
    None

2011(1, maybe 2):
    at phi, trailing 45-13
    possibly the last one at Miami

2012(3):
    vs. Buf, led 34-7
    vs, Mia, trailing 27-3
    vs. NE, trailing 49-12

that is 5 maybe 6 of all his TDs came in garbage time.

9. 1968jetsfan

Remember, if he renegotiates his contract that money automatically advances to this year and can be respreads based on what the new contract's term is (plus any other bonuses paid as part of the new contract). So if his new contract is 1 year there is no 2nd and 3rd year to spread it to, it's all this year. If it's a two year deal then it can be respreads over that two year deal. But let me ask you this, what incentive does Sanchez have to take a very significant pay cut on a multi year deal IF he still believes he's a starting NFL QB? At least a big enough pay cut to be worthwhile for the Jets to keep on their roster? He doesn't have any incentive to do a multi year deal at a low enough pay rate to be attractive to the Jets IF he truly believes he's a starting NFL QB.

10. 1968jetsfan

ha ha, guess it depends on what you call garbage time Junc. I'll address this AGAIN more fully when I have time to go through all the game logs again, probably this weekend.

11. 1968jetsfan

Going to amend this a little, in 2011 you forgot about both Patriot games where at least one of his TD's came late in each game with the team down by more than 2 or more scores, you forgot the Raiders game with a late 4th Quarter TD with the team down by 3 or more scores. You forgot the Giants game with late 4th quarter passing TD with the team down 20 to 7. and yes the Dolphins game does count Junc, The team was down 19 to 10 when sanchez got a td pass with 1 minute 24 seconds left on the clock, aka too little too late against a defense that was playing a prevent defense. He does get Kudos for taking the short passes to get to the endzone though, but it was junk time pretty much as it would have taken close to a miracle for that drive to have mattered.

12. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

at Pats: throws TD to pull us w/in 6 w/ 7 mins left. That was not garbage time
    vs. Pats: throws TD to pull us w/in 7 the 1st play of the 4th qtr. That was not garbage time

at oak: threw TD to pull us w/in 7 w/ 5 1/2 to play. Not garbage time

vs. NYG: his only TD pass made it 7-0, he ran for one to pull us w/in 6 w/ 7 mins left. Not garbage time

I will give you the Miami game

13. 85inthehall

They will re-negotiate the current contract terms to modify the $

14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Other years
    2009 he was rookie and went to the playoffs where he performed

Fumbles- 8

Brady first year playing (2nd season)- 9

2010- Won 10 games in the regular season with multiple comebacks has 90+ rating in the playoffs

Fumbles
    Sanchez-5

Brady's second year playing- 5

2012- Do I really have to comment

Stats in context not to just prove a point.

Most Fumbles in career

Sanchez-9

Brady-11

16 td- 6 int in the games the Jets won in 2010. Threw seven pics in the losses

Sanchez is not Great but played a big part in winning those 10 games. Plus the two Playoff games against two of the greatest QBs of all time. As all of you haters you refuse to give him any credit and use stats out of context to prove your point. I do not have to look at the stats about the 2010 and 2011 seasons I watched the games and Sanchez was good for the most part in 2010. In 2011 he was improving and fell off down the stretch (WFH?) 2012 was a disaster for him and the Jets.

IF i just looked at he stats that Thanksgiving game in 2012 Sanchez played great we all know that is not the case.

#3394 cval, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  15. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Right now, Sanchez doesn't have a ton of incentive to take a pay cut, but that can change quickly.

If Idzik is willing to pay his $2m roster bonus (due next week), he can simply wait until after the draft, after the major free agent QBs get signed- and then, on the eve of the pre-season, sit down and tell him he needs to take a pay cut. Other teams that need QBs cannot afford to wait around on Mark Sanchez, they will have to draft QBs early in the draft, sign Vick or Freeman or whoever, and commit to them. Just like when we drafted Sanchez, there was no way we would have went for another random QB. Even if they did want Sanchez badly, by August, they can't just bring him in and expect him to be up to speed and ready to start after spending zero time learning their playbook and having zero reps with their receivers.

If Mark is released to save that $2m roster bonus, then you're right, he will have options. He'd have to judge whether he wants to be on the Raiders, or maybe the Vikings or Browns or something, maybe Tampa Bay (though they seem to like Glennon.) But then the Jets would have to replace him, most likely with Vick, who is old and injury prone. There's at least the argument to be made that Mark could be good with decent weapons, but we know that Vick is just slightly above average at best. Mark's also familiar with the system, and as frustrating as he's been to watch, he's probably the best backup QB option available to the Jets.

If Idzik waits until August, and then tells Mark he needs to take a pay cut, he has no real choice. If he refuses, then once he clears waivers, he would wind up holding the clipboard on a vet minimum contract, mentoring Johnny Manziel or Teddy Bridgewater, and he'd become another Matt Leinart. He'd have missed all the training camp and stuff, and would be scrambling to learn the playbook, and not really a viable starting candidate. By 2015, another crop of rookie QBs come in, and the prospects for Sanchez getting an immediate starting gig are very low. Becoming a backup on another team, would just solidify his role in the league and he would become a career backup QB. He wants to avoid that at all costs. If he's released now, he can at least be a serious contender for a starting role on another team, or even be declared the starter right away. If you've got a top draft spot, and you get Sanchez, you could trade down and still get a great player in the 1st round, and then have 2 good to great players in the second round. But if Mark isn't there, then you have to draft the QB.

What if he does take the pay cut to stay with the Jets? Well, he has some chance of winning the starting job outright. If he clearly outperforms Smith, Rex will go with him. If Smith gets picked, and he starts struggling like he did last year (unfortunately, it's almost a given that Smith will have at least one or two of those meltdown games where he looks utterly hopeless) then Rex will bench Smith again and Mark will get to go in. If he does well, he'll get to start the next game, and could use that as a route to reclaim his role as the Jets' starting QB. He has those two avenues to becoming a starting QB again if he stays with the Jets. Plus, though Idzik would make him take a pay cut, it probably wouldn't be all the way down to the vet minimum, he'd still make more money in the short-term by staying with the Jets.

16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Great post. It was really bad luck for Sanchez getting hurt because more likely than not he would have been given a chance last season. This year I think you have described his options quite nicely. Plenty of QBs have gotten second and third chances that have not had the success of Sanchez, Quinn, Leinart, Mcknown, All those raiders Qbs, Orton, Kitna. Sanchez most likely than not will get another chance up to him to play well.

17. 1968jetsfan

Again, I ask what motivation does Sanchez have to accept a 3 year low dollar contract if he thinks he's a starting NFL QB?
    Assuming he feels he's a starting caliber QB his best interest is to sign a one year deal somewhere that he has a shot at starting, regardless of if he thinks that's with the Jets or any other team, in order to prove himself and possibly win a bigger contract. There is no front end to the Jets to offer him a 3 year deal at 6-8 million per year guaranteed (which is what I think Sanchez would want in order to renegotiate in to a 3 year deal). Now one caveat, the Jets might do that as a sign and trade but I don't see any team willing to give sanchez a 3 year 6-8 million deal guaranteed as he is.

From Sanchez's point of view the best option is for the Jets to cut him and he can choose his own new home, regardless of if that's with the Jets or any other team. It's also the only option that really makes sense for both sides.

18. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Strong point, we kind of do have Sanchez hostage right now, we can hold onto him until every team in this league has named a starting QB, then tell him to restructure or get cut/resigned.

19. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Sanchez's best option is to get on a one year deal and get paid next year. Otherwise he is looking at probably a deal like 3 years $12 million which really isnt a benefit considering he could probably get a one year 4 million right now and have a chance to increase that number in free agency by up to 500% (if he could win the Super Bowl, but even proving he is a top 16 QB would get him a deal around 8-10 million which already would surpass that 3 year $12 million he would get right now).

20. 1968jetsfan

That's all well and good, and a fairly well thought out process...but at that point it makes an already contentious situation even more contentious between Mark and the front office/coaching staff. It would also be a bad image to put forward to future free agents you were trying to coax in to coming to your team and/or make negotiations with your own players more difficult. But it is business. That said, this course also would have other risks for the Jets, aka they hold Mark as their backup plan like you suggest but then Mark declines the pay cut, he's now a free agent and the Jets are the one's on the outside looking in without a backup QB. I think Sanchez and his agents have in their minds that the Jets have already decided on Geno, regardless of if that's true or not. Mark could easily sit out a year if needed, he's not hurting for money...but he would be signed by another team on a 1 year deal, even if only for vet minimum in order to prove himself.

Two sides to every story, I know if I was Mark and a team did what you are saying I'd say "fine, cut me...I've got places I can play even if only as a backup this year...who do you have left?".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.