Year in retrospect: How did the Revis trade work out?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Zach, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

On a second thought:

Just what the hell am I doing? I just have to laugh at this.

1. I will just disagree with your contention that, Revis trade had nothing to do with Richardson pick.

2. Revis got what he wanted [extra dough] and Jets got what they wanted. [No more menace, cap relief, youth movement along DL]. So I guess that was the fair deal for both Revis and the Jets. Bucs are stuck in the middle, and are fucked either way. I guess you can agree with all this.

3. I probably won't shoot off any more dumb shit while hungry. Ok. Enough. I'm off to eat something.

2. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Yeah, just like Phins GM Ireland was let go because of the Davone Bess trade...

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I think the deal worked out very nicely for the Jets, it's very similar to what the patriots do, no one player is bigger than the team, I was shocked when they traded Seymour but them I understood it.

Revis is not bigger than the team, I like the long term approach to their decision making. I hope this will be their philosophy with Idzik as their GM

4. NewYorkEveryThing

If we never made the trade then we would not have drafted millner and probably would have still took sheldon so Revis + Sheldon would be the better situation. Millner is no way gonna be a shut down CB we know that. I never wanted to draft a CB in the 1st cause of the Revis comparisons Dee is gonna get his whole career. It comes down to the pick in this years draft in my opinion .

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

While I agree overall with your post, I do think it is premature to say that Milliner will never develop into a shutdown cb. I still have hope that he does.

6. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

agreed. Too many fans want instant gratification. A guy like Milliner has to gain experience and stop thinking out there. He showed vast signs of improving towards the end of the season. Why some fans must rush to judgement is unknown but it shows how little they know about NFL draft picks.

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Hope for an improving Milliner I think is a key part of the Jets' strategy in the draft and FA this off season. If Cro can be brought back at a lower number, and the Jets can get some help at safety, an improving Milliner would allow the Jets to not have to go for another CB,

8. skipper

skipper Member

The point is this: if we had not traded Revis last year he would be walking now and the best we could do is is a third round (so late as to be a fourth round) comp pick.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Troy Aikman showed Revis no love/respect at all last night. He said that Richard Sherman was the best cover corner in the NFL, and he also mentioned someone else (I forget who) not named Revis as the only other great cover corner in the NFL at present.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

$16M a year CB's don't win you anything but giggles from the other GM's as they put their money in more impactful places.

I'll bet Seattle lets Sherman go if he doesn't sign a cap-friendly deal. They may well trade him if they can't lock him up to a decent deal in the next year.

11. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Exactly. Even if the Jets would have drafted Richardson had we kept Revis, we would still be in a worse off position IMO.

Milliner + Richardson > Revis + Richardson - 16M/year

12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Thought id revive this thread,worked out great until now

13. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

don't be bitter man. Revis signing with NE wasn't part of the trade. sure it would have been the ultimate coup to get him back but it didn't happen.

move on.

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

How about Revis walking, then he goes to NE with Jets basically taking 3rd round comp pick for it? Now Jets have Richardson to show for it - and 4th round pick is almost equivalent to the comp pick Jets might have gotten with Revis walking.

15. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

First off the Jets most likely would have taken Richardson with the number 9 pick, They said Richardson was number four on their board from the beginning. So the question is is Revis + Richardson better than Richardson a 4th round pick and 16 million in cap space. I say the latter is better. That 16 million in cap space is the key, that is as many as four quality starters at 4 million a piece which is much more valuable than 1 corner shutting down 1 Wr. We also were never going to pay Revis 16 million so he would have walked after this past year as clearly a team like TB was ready to sign him. So the real question is is Revis for one year + Richardson better than Richardson a fourth round pick and 16 million in cap space. I would say the latter is clearly better, and considering the state of the franchise, being in rebuilding mode not in contention for a one year push, the latter is DEFINITELY better. Plus we did get Milliner who will only get better and with a little more seasoning will be a number one CB. The trade was thought of as so bad for the Bucs that they cut him the very next year, meaning the Jets clearly got the best of the trade. Did he go to NE, well yeah, and that sucks... but it shouldn't mean anything towards the trade we made and how successful the trade was for us, which by the way was very successful.

16. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

1. Fuck Darrelle Revis.

2.Fuck Darrelle Revis.

3.Fuck Darrelle Revis.

17. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

Revis will hurt the Patriots more than he will help. Brady showed last year that he's not the same Brady as before. His receivers were awful and because of that, so was he. Now they might lose their best WR and have no money to get anyone else.

18. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I hope Mevi$ blows out the same ACL again. Fuck that greedy POS.

19. LongIslandBlitz

You do realize his people reached out to the Jets he wanted to return but managment said they want nothing to do with him according to reports.Can't blame Revis for that

20. LongIslandBlitz

Yea so I guess you donate all your earnings to charity?Its ok for you to be greedy just not a Jets player